Rifle Barrel Break-In

Rifle Barrel Break-In

This is a discussion on Rifle Barrel Break-In within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys, Is their anything to breaking in a rifle barrel. I have personally never done this for any hunting rifle that I own, but a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Barrel Break-In

Question Rifle Barrel Break-In

Guys,

Is their anything to breaking in a rifle barrel. I have personally never done this for any hunting rifle that I own, but a friend mentioned it to me. I have a new Ruger mini-14 ranch rifle and would like to hear what you have to say...Thanks

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm a firm believer that "barrel break in" is BS. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you still feel like doing it, it's basically cleaning it thoroughly every 10-20 shots for the first 100 or so rounds.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thanks for your quick reply. I plan to run a bunch of rounds thru it tomorrow after my duck hunt

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Your post did spark some research out of me though. I think some of the copper fouling points could be valid, but I think copper solvent would be something to do every 500 rounds or so rather than a break in.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I generally run a snake with some solvent thru my rifles after every shooting session. I will run a patch with oil if I plan to put it up for a while. Its a quick fix and I think a good one if done regularly. I see you are currently in Iraq...Thanks for your service...and keep your head down

I've never seen any real need to do anything like that myself.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Shoot the hooey out of it while keeping copper fouling down. I use Sweet's 7.62 per directions on the bottle. It does a good job removing fouling, especially if you keep up with cleaning after each shooting session.

If you want to read different thoughts on the subject the different barrel makers all have something to say.
    Most interesting to me was a write up by McMillian i think it was. Try google on "barrel breakin" its very interesting subject.

Michael

Administrator

Post Absolutely One Of The Best Gun Products Around

The easiest fouling to clean is the fouling that you don't get.

J-B Bore Cleaner & J-B BORE BRIGHT.

J-B BORE BRIGHT
    Mfr: BROWNELLS

The Final Finish For Your Barrel, Improves Accuracy, Reduces Cleaning Effort

A micro-fine bore cleaning and finishing compound that works as both a cleaner and a final polish to help keep barrels free of fouling and shooting their absolute best.
    Regular use gives your barrel a mirror-like finish that helps prevent the build-up of accuracy robbing copper fouling, plus greatly reduces cleaning effort.
    Clean your barrel as you normally would, then after cleaning with J-B Compound, follow with J-B Bore Bright to achieve a super clean, final polish.
    At the range, regular use of J-B Bore Bright between strings of fire minimizes the accumulation of jacket fouling to help maintain consistent accuracy.
    As a bore cleaner, the soft, oil-paste formula liquefies as you use it to quickly remove fouling, copper, lead, and powder residue in rifles and handguns, plus plastic deposits in shotgun bores.

Because J-B Bore Bright is absolutely non-embedding it wipes easily from the barrel with a dry patch. You never need to worry about Bore Bright harming your barrel.

Chrome lined bore, do as you wish. A competition shooter will swear by barrel break-in and possibly even bore lapping. Heavier barrels may need less break-in than lighter contour barrels due to heat dissipation. Breaking in a new, cold steel barrel generally consists of firing 3-5 shots then cleaning repetitively at the same cycle for a certain amount of rounds. Could this extend the life of your barrel? Will you ever fire enough shots through the barrel to make a difference in the long run? Good question. It's an individual call in my book. With a semi automatic, I probably wouldn't even think about it, but for the bolt actions there are possibilities IMO....to increase barrel life as well as extending the accuracy. As previously stated, different manufacturers and competitors will suggest different methods or cycles for breaking in a barrel. This may have to do with the way the barrel rifling is made, the grade of steel, the hardness etc............ I figure cryogenic treatment puts all that behind, but it's somewhat expensive. To the average shooter or hunter, barrel break-in could be a non-issue. I've already done some research for you. You can make up your own mind in the way you'd like to care for your rifle barrel, or forget about all the technicalities. Breaking in can be a tedious process.
    Barrel Brake In
    Barrel Break-In
    Gun Barrel Break-In Procedure
    Rifles / Rifle Bore - Break In, Cleaning For Accuracy
    RIFLE BARREL
    Break-In & Cleaning

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I wouldnt worry about it too much in your rifle. Some or most of the super accurate custom jobs are a different matter alltogether.

For that weapon I really wouldn't worry about it honestly. I did break in my 500 police though, and it took about 6 hours. It was miserable, but for that weapon I think it was necessary.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    After the first of the year, I plan to do the bore paste, shoot/clean with both powder and copper solvent, repeat...repeat.... on a lowly Harrington and Richardson Ultra Varmint fluted bull barrel in .223. I'm not even going to mount optics on it until I've done a 20 round break in. It can't hurt, and who knows, I may be able to make a $275 NIB investment turn into a reasonable shooter at 200 yards. Hey, it's just a bit of time, and what better place to spend the time than at the range

surv

Having owned many rifles over many years, I've never done anything special other than a standard cleaning...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that "barrel break in" is BS. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you still feel like doing it, it's basically cleaning it thoroughly every 10-20 shots for the first 100 or so rounds.
    I used to feel the same way but now I'm not so sure. It's probably more of a superstition thing, like an athlete that won't wash his socks as long as he's on a winning streak.

The last target barrel I broke in was a DPMS upper for an AR. 24" stainless bull barrel. I figured what the heck, I've never tried it before so I'll try it this time. Procedure went like this:
    Clean barrel after every round for the first 25 rounds.
    Clean barrel after every 5th round for the next 25 rounds.
    Clean barrel after every 10th round for the next 100 rounds.
    This rifle ended up so scary accurate, it was what I used almost exclusively on the first day of our prairie dog hunt a couple years ago. From a bench rest, it will consistently shoot sub 1/2 MOA with factory ammunition. I don't know if the break-in procedure had a darn thing to do with it or not, but now I'm scared to NOT break in my next new accuracy rifle the same way.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links