Opinions on P89

Opinions on P89

This is a discussion on Opinions on P89 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can get a great deal on the ruger p89 9mm with the 15rd mag . I hear there accurate, but anyone have personal experience ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on P89

Opinions on P89

I can get a great deal on the ruger p89 9mm with the 15rd mag . I hear there accurate, but anyone have personal experience with one? are they any good too CCW/EDC or are they more of a range gun?
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    I have had a P89DC for about 10 years now, excellent weapon. I have never had any feeding problems no matter what type or brand of ammo. I find it just a little too bulky for me as an EDC but for someone else with the proper belt/holster combo it would make a reliable accurate carry weapon.

i don't have one,,,but have shot one. it is a little bulky to me, but to others it is not. it is a ruger and is a well made gun. you can make just about any gun a carry gun. you learn to dress around the gun. if the price is right i would get it. if you don't like it make a safe queen out of it. hard to pass up on a ruger that is priced right.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It's a rock-solid performer that will serve you well. It is a full-size gun and not one I would carry if I had another option.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Built like a brick and will take alot. Had a friend who kept one in his rock-crawlin' jeep, it was abused like his jeep, but boy... it didn't miss a lick when he shot it.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I like them, owned several also a good deal when you can find them.

I always recommend them when asked best 9 mm for the price.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I have one, and it's a good gun. I agree with it being just a wee bit bulky too...

Administrator
    I wouldnt call them accurate, but they are accurate enough. The trigger isnt anything to get excited about. But, like others have said, it is a rock solid platform. I've kept one for years just because I like it, and I think its a nice asset to have in my collection.
    If the price is right, sub 300, its a good buy and will serve its purpose well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My last girlfriend has two, and she loves them. No malfunctions, and pretty accurate. I found out that if you don't have long fingers, it is hard to work the controls. I can shoot it fine, but reloading is a pain. I have to turn the gun almost 90 degrees to hit the mag release.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member
    I've looked at them before. While I have confidence in Ruger products, I find their P series guns to be heavy and bulky. For some reason don't fit my hand well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So you have your answer.
    Bulky
    Heavy
    not great for concealing

But if you can get the magazine to accept rocks, it will flawlessly feed them to the chamber and fire until every rock is gone.

I left mine on the hood of the Jeep at deer camp and drove away only to realize thirty minutes later that it was gone. I went back to retrieve it and found it, run over, at the bottom of a mud hole. Fished it out with a stick, disassembled it, washed it out with the muddy water, and shook it a few times. Reassembled and it didn't hesitate to empty another mag without a hiccup.

If it's cheap, get it.

Awesome thanks for all the replys I'm picking it up Monday for 225
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

You will love it. They are indestructible. Try google for the military compettion between the ruger and the beretta. My opinion the Ruger won hands down on preformance and reliability.

Michael

You won't find a more reliable gun for $225.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wouldnt call them accurate, but they are accurate enough. The trigger isnt anything to get excited about. But, like others have said, it is a rock solid platform. I've kept one for years just because I like it, and I think its a nice asset to have in my collection.
    If the price is right, sub 300, its a good buy and will serve its purpose well.
    I agree with Sixto. I have had one for years. It was my Dad's. I have not found it to be that accurate either. But it will consistantly, reliably put them all in a functional pattern. Never found anything it wouldn't run. It is bulky for EDC, trigger is a long creepy pull on D/A, not bad or great on S/A. Love the decocker. (yours may be a different model)

For the price you just mentioned, I wouldn't pass it up either. Even if you don't want to carry it, what a great 'house' gun or range pal. It is great for teaching new shooters!!
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links