Is it me or the gun? Slide difficulty Witness .40

This is a discussion on Is it me or the gun? Slide difficulty Witness .40 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am having a really tough time moving the slide rearward on a brand NEW Witness Compact .40. (Never been fired...right out of the box) ...

Thread: Is it me or the gun? Slide difficulty Witness .40

I am having a really tough time moving the slide rearward on a brand NEW Witness Compact .40. (Never been fired...right out of the box) I'm 6'3" 260 lbs and yet I have to strain to slide the thing to the rear and locked position. Could it be the factory put in too strong of a recoil spring? Supposedly Tanfoglio uses 14 lb springs and stronger ones are recomended for hot loads. I definately don't want to do any range time with it like this. Thoughts welcomed.

After you've put a hundred or so rounds downrange, the recoil spring should be more manageable.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Try disassembling cleaning and lubing it up, then shoot
    a couple hundred rounds through it.
    That should loosen it up.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Clean and lube prior to range time...apply 300 rounds...repeat as necessary.

Stay armed...get some 'Extra Strength Tylenol'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Does it feel like the slide is dragging against the frame? It is always possible one slipped through the crack and the frame/slide are out of tolerance. Even new and unfired it shouldn't take any great effort to rack the slide. If everything appears to be normal, go ahead and give it a good cleaning and lube and fire a few hundred rounds through it and see if that takes care of the problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Try cocking the hammer before racking the slide.

VIP Member
    All good suggestions, but part of the problem may be the design. Because the design places the barrel so low in the frame there is not much surface on the slide to grip. My 9mm was unusually difficult to move when I first got it. I don't have a much difficulty now, but it is still about the hardest slide manipulate that I have.

The grip surface on the slide shown above is 3/8" and that is just not a lot to grab.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Yes due to the slide rail arrangement, you do lose grasping surface area on all the CZ 75 type pistols.

While its harder to use the overhand slide grab (palm and fingers) approach that most advocate for traditional slides, I don't find any problems using the pinch technique (finger and thumb only).

Some other suggestions that may work.

On my CZ 75B the rear sight is designed for one handed slide manipulation. While your sight is ramped, it does seem to have a small lip that you may be able to hook onto a belt. Hook the sight and push the pistol to rack it. PLEASE BE CAREFUL DOING THIS.

Second, if you do not have a full length guide rod and if the dust cover on your frame is short enough, you may be able to push the slide under the muzzle back far enough to rack it. I cannot on my CZ as the dust cover on the frame is too long but maybe on your Witness?

Third, yes you can change out the springs but that may put more wear on the pistol when you shoot. I would suggest reading this from the CZ forum's Faqs first.

Hope that helps.

VIP Member
    Is the hammer down and the safety on?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Is the hammer down and the safety on?

Is that possible on a Witness? it is not on a CZ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    Is that possible on a Witness? it is not on a CZ
    Yes. It is a lil different from a CZ. It will prevent the slide from moving backward.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Hammer down and safety on will lock the slide of a Witness and you can rip the thumbprint right off your hand trying to rack it in that condition.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

For what it's worth... I just came back from Cabelas and I was looking at a Witness Compact. I racked the slide a couple of times and didn't notice it being particularly difficult. I'd check to make sure something isn't binding between the slide and frame.

Links