Glock Slide Question

Glock Slide Question

This is a discussion on Glock Slide Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've noticed something that I'm concerned about. When my magazine is at full capacity, + 1 in the chamber, pulling the slide back to eject ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Slide Question

Glock Slide Question

I've noticed something that I'm concerned about. When my magazine is at full capacity, + 1 in the chamber, pulling the slide back to eject the top round is difficult, the slide has alot of trouble coming back, after the first round, or second round is out, its fine, no resistance.

Is this normal?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Is the mag new? If so you just need to leave it loaded for a day or two to stretch the spring out. It should be fine after that.

This is especially the case with the 10+2 G26 mags...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Neither of my Glocks have been like that...perhaps it is the mag...try the advice of the above poster.
    New mags?
    New gun?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yeah, It's a brand new mag that came with the gun, both NIB (g22). So its just the magazine pushing up really tightly causing the slide to not cycle correctly?

So if I were to fire the gun right now, would the slide lock up and not load the next round?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kissmyglock View Post
    Yeah, It's a brand new mag that came with the gun, both NIB (g22). So its just the magazine pushing up really tightly causing the slide to not cycle correctly?

So if I were to fire the gun right now, would the slide lock up and not load the next round?
    Its fine, its also a new gun. Learn how to administratively load your gun and its no worry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

WHen that happens with my Glock, I then notice that I had somehow got one more cartridge in the magazine than its normal capacity. Especially on the 10 round magazines, I will shoot ten rounds and then surprise there will be a cartridge in the chamber.

Always follow the range rules and safety rules!

I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Since it's a SD pistol I think I'm just going to download by a round, seems it would be more reliable that way unless someone else has any suggestions? I guess one round isn't that big of a deal. I tried all 4 magazines and all of them do this, if I download by 1 round, it operates just fine. Its so bizarre :/

I hope you have fired that new weapon at least a few magazines. Use fully loaded mags to verify proper operation. Use new (not reloaded) ammo from the store.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Since it's a SD pistol I think I'm just going to download by a round, seems it would be more reliable that way unless someone else has any suggestions? I guess one round isn't that big of a deal. I tried all 4 magazines and all of them do this, if I download by 1 round, it operates just fine. Its so bizarre :/
    As mentioned above, have you fired it?

If it's not causing issues when firing, then load to full capactity.

-Jeff-

Definitely new magazine issue as I just noticed this when I bought additional mags for my Glock 23 last week. Didn't feel this for a long time as I have had all my other glock magazines for a long time.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

You mention cycling correctly. But you are manipulating the slide manually when this occurs? "(pulling back the slide)". I don't imagine you having any issues with it if you actually shot it....first round or any other. What do the ejected cartridge rims look like where the extractor has taken a bite? The top cartridge in a magazine doesn't push up on anything to give resistance in any way. Got me wondering now.

Yep, my G23 did the same thing when it was brand new. After about 300 to 400 rounds through it, using all 4 magazines I have, that problem went away.

Stiff mag springs were the cause as far as I can tell. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, I'm running extremely low on cash the last month or two, I purchased 500 rounds of 155g HP's, and a Milt Sparks VMII, a few mags, nightsights, etc, so I'm saving up to goto the range.

It just seems to me that if its hard to manually pull back the slide, then the slide wont go back when its fired, and the next round wont load, or FTF which would be not so fun in a SD situation. It bugs me alot not to have a full magazine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've shot glocks on many different occasions but never a brand new one, it feels alot different than broke-in one for sure.

I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, I'm running extremely low on cash the last month or two, I purchased 500 rounds of 155g HP's, and a Milt Sparks VMII, a few mags, nightsights, etc, so I'm saving up to goto the range.

It just seems to me that if its hard to manually pull back the slide, then the slide wont go back when its fired, and the next round wont load, or FTF which would be not so fun in a SD situation. It bugs me alot not to have a full magazine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've shot glocks on many different occasions but never a brand new one, it feels alot different than broke-in one for sure.
    Yours just needs to be broken in. Being hard to manually pull back the slide is totally different then when firing the weapon. There is much more force on the slide than you are applying. Get some FMJ ammo to practice with and put a few mags of your SD ammo through the gun, especially since money is tight.

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Yours just needs to be broken in. Being hard to manually pull back the slide is totally different then when firing the weapon. There is much more force on the slide than you are applying. Get some FMJ ammo to practice with and put a few mags of your SD ammo through the gun, especially since money is tight.

-Jeff-
    So do you think I'd be safe with the carrying the full mag 15+1 (to break in the mag) for carry right now, or should I wait untill I hit the range and stick w/ 14+1?

Thanks for the help guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links