End of Winchester ?

This is a discussion on End of Winchester ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dont look Good http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060117/winch...sing.html?.v=2...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End of Winchester ?

End of Winchester ?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    That is sad. Now I'm glad I kept my 30-30 all these years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Bet my 375xtr Big Bore 94 goes way up in price

Administrator

Thanks For Posting This Thread Bud!

AP
    Winchester Rifle Plant Prepares to Close
    Tuesday January 17, 4:37 pm ET

By Matt Apuzzo, Associated Press Writer

U.S. Repeating Arms to Close Its Winchester Firearm Factory in Connecticut

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- U.S. Repeating Arms Co. Inc. said Tuesday it will close its Winchester firearm factory, threatening the future of a rifle that was once called "The Gun that Won the West."
    "It's part of who we are as a nation just like it's part of who we are as a city," Mayor John DeStefano said.

The announcement touched off a lobbying effort by city officials and union leaders who hoped to find a buyer for the plant before it closes March 31.
    If no buyer comes forward, it could spell the end for nearly all commercially produced Winchesters, said Everett Corey, a representative of the International Association of Machinists District 26.
    "Winchester would be pretty much defunct," he said. "They're not going to produce them, other than a couple custom-type models."

The company has been plagued by slumping firearm sales.
    More than 19,000 people worked there during World War II, but the plant employs fewer than 200 now.

The Winchester model 1873 lever action rifle was popular among American frontiersmen at the end of the 19th century for its reliability. John Wayne made the Winchester rifle a signature of his movies and Chuck Connors posed menacingly with his Winchester on the poster for the television series "The Rifleman."

"Marlin made lever-action rifles but nobody ever had a Marlin in films or TV series. They were always Winchesters," said Ned Schwing, a firearms historian.

Perhaps the company's greatest unofficial spokesman was President Teddy Roosevelt, who used the 1895 model on his famous 1909 African safari, which historians credited with boosting the sale of Winchester sporting rifles.

Since the plant opened in 1866, tens of millions of Winchester rifles have been produced, the bulk of which came between the late 1800s and the end of World War II, said firearms historian R.L. Wilson, who has written books about Winchester. More than six million copies of the Winchester Model 94, the company's most popular rifle, have been produced.

"Several generations have worked at this place, a lot of fathers and brothers, sons, uncles and daughters," said Paul DeMennato, facility director at U.S. Repeating Arms.

U.S. Repeating Arms, which is owned by the Herstal Group, a Belgium company, has said for years that it was on the brink of closing the plant.

DeMennato said the company is negotiating the plant's sale.
    Missouri-based Olin Corp. owns the Winchester brand name. In the late 1970s, after a massive strike by its machinists, Olin sold the plant to U.S. Repeating Arms along with the right to use the Winchester name until next year.

Olin had no immediate word on its plans for the Winchester name. DeMennato said he hopes the name will be sold along with the plant. Nobody at Herstal's headquarters in Belgium could be reached Tuesday afternoon.

Well that just sucks. I'm going to have to try harder to win the mega lotto. I would buy it in an instant had I the cash. I have always wished I owned it. There have been some older rifles I would like to bring back out. Needless to say I am a Winchester fan. Now I am going to have to start buying up all the old Winchesters befor the collector prices skyrocket.

I cant understand Why Fn isnt intersted in Keeping winchester seems its got to be making money as much as they harge for winchester Firearms..

Cant belive Browning is making money enough for them not to ditch that part of the company

I wander about their ammo?
    I may have to buy a few cases of Ranger SXT's
    Mighty HD

That would be part of olin so should be safe

Lead Moderator
    That would suck, big time. They are a American tradition. Everybody used to have a 30-30 win.

Assistant Administrator
    Sad indeed - like losing a limb. Pretty sure the ammo side will be completely unaffected - totally different situation.

But as for levers well - great loss. I only have a '94 in .357 but glad I have it. If I do get a ''thuddy-thuddy'' it looks like it may now be a Savage, unless I luck out on a Win before price hikes change that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I am not surprised... and honestly not too depressed about it. Let's look at Winchester's Big 3:

Model 70 - Great rifle, but all I ever hear about any more is the Remington 700 and various Savages. I've heard more press about CZ rifles than the Model 70 in the past 5 years.

1300 - Nice shotgun, but the Mossberg 500/590 and much more so Remington 870 dwarf its popularity in most circles.

Model 94 - Marlin does it better. Shorter action, side ejection.

They make a lot more than that obviously but this is what I think of when I think Winchester.

They make good products, but their competition has edged them out, and I just haven't heard anything from them. Reminds me of Schrade... good product, lousy marketing, and behind the industry curve. I would hope someone steps up and buys the name and plant though... I would if I had that kind of money!

No wonder why so many people are callin about the products...........best get em while it's good.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

OD*
    I cant understand Why Fn isnt intersted in Keeping winchester
    Another reason to hate the French

Bud, if you look a little deeper, FN Herstal has been owned by French conglomerate, GIAT (Groupement Industriel des Armements Terrestres) since at least 1996.
    http://www.iss.co.za/Pubs/Monographs/No2/Foss.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

JT
    I would hate to see them go. But I agree with Euclidean in that I think Marlin makes a better lever action. I also prefer the Remington model 700 to the Winchester model 70. Although I do think the model 70 is a great gun and debating between the two is like Ford versus Chevy.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Question What would Chuck Connors Say?

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I would hate to see them go. But I agree with Euclidean in that I think Marlin makes a better lever action. I also prefer the Remington model 700 to the Winchester model 70. Although I do think the model 70 is a great gun and debating between the two is like Ford versus Chevy.
    I guess the Marlin model 1895 is roughly equivalent to the Winchester M94 carbines, huh? I have had two M94 straight stock carbines but currently own only one, a 30-30. I wish I could learn to cock that lever like old Chuck Connors in The Rifleman. Although I did hear a rumor that the rifle he used was specially modified to fire every time the lever actually closed (cutting out the need to pull the trigger as a separate action). This would make for some very fast shooting! Dangerous as heck....but fast.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links