One of the "young" ladies I have dated/taken shooting went through the following stages. (Time spans vary)
1. You own a gun? Why?
2. Do you carry a gun? Why?
3. Sure, I'll go shooting with you.
4. That was fun, but I don't think I would be interested in doing it again.
5. My dad said I can take his gun to the range and shoot it. Take me. Oh and by the way, bring your guns, too.
6. I am taking a cross country motorcycle trip, but I don't need a gun.
7. I should have brought a gun with me on that cross country trip.
8. (Today) I just got back from the gun show. I want your opinion on what gun I should buy.
9. Take me back to the gun show and help me buy a Glock 26. After that I am taking my CHL class and getting a CHL. Then I am taking all the shooting classes. I am counting on you to take me back to the range and help me practice.
10. Damn right. If someone comes at me and it is me or him, he is toast.
Took about 6 months.