Flying from NY to CA with pistols

This is a discussion on Flying from NY to CA with pistols within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am in the military and stationed in CA, right now I am currently spending time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying from NY to CA with pistols

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am in the military and stationed in CA, right now I am currently spending time with family in NY. I have received some pistols as gifts for christmas. Now the question is how do I properly fly with these pistols back to CA? I have the original hard cases that the guns were sold in and I plan on locking those and putting them in my luggage. I will be flying on united airlines Also what is the process for registering these pistols in CA. From what I have been told is once I get to CA I have to fill out a form that is on the CA DOJ website and mail it in. The only thing that I found that was close to that on the website was a "New Resident Form". Any information you could give me on this process would help me out. Thanks in advance.
    New York CCW
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Military Police School Pistol Range High Shooter
    Marine Corps 3x Rifle Expert 2x Pistol Expert

You said, 'pistols', as in more than one...
    I know nothing about CA gun laws, but I do think there could be a maximum on the number of pistols you can pack in your luggage...call the airlines you are using and print out their regs as well as the TSA regs.
    Better to know ahead of time on that one.

Good luck with your travels.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Before we even start...

Are the pistols you received as gifts and intend to bring home with you on California DOJ's approved list?

Yes they are on the CA Certified list
    New York CCW
    NRA Life Member

Where in NY? Are you a NY resident or have NY id? Do you have a license for any part of NY? Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk? Long guns or carry pieces? On the letter from Atty general to TSA it talks about travel from where you are licensed legally to carry to where you are going and licensed to carry. If you do not have a NY license I think that you will either need to use a FFL here to there or Send the guns overnite air to yourself thru Fedex? Somebody will correct me and there are other post reguarding this.

I am legally a resident of Rochester,NY, and I do have a NY CCW permit which is good for the whole stated except for NYC. I do not have a CCW in CA but I am legally able to purchase firearms in CA because I am stationed there. Also I did not thing about it but am I able to ship the pistols to myself without needing a FFL dealer acting as middleman?
    New York CCW
    NRA Life Member

TSA rules for flying with firearms --> TSA: Traveling with Special Items

United Airlines policies for restricted items --> United Airlines - Restricted articles

VIP Member

Importance of no CA license

Quote Originally Posted by Nick8800ny View Post
    I am legally a resident of Rochester,NY, and I do have a NY CCW permit which is good for the whole stated except for NYC. I do not have a CCW in CA but I am legally able to purchase firearms in CA because I am stationed there. Also I did not thing about it but am I able to ship the pistols to myself without needing a FFL dealer acting as middleman?
    Since you don't have a CA license, you will be violating the law the second you pick up your luggage. Worse, you really aren't legal to fly with them since that requires you be legal at both ends of the journey.

You can not send them by mail. I am uncertain if you ship them to yourself through UPS or Fedex, but you can ask them.

If that won't work, you'll need to have them sent to a CA FFL and pick them up after obtaining a CA license; or perhaps arrange for the FFL to deliver them to your home if CA law allows unlicensed possession in the home.

If I were you, I'd google for an FFL near where you live, make a phone call on Monday, and see what they can do to help you out. It is worth paying the FFL fees and maybe even a delivery fee to avoid an arrest or serious misunderstanding with serious delays and inconvenience.

I do not understand how anything I am trying to do is illegal. You do not need a permit or license to purchase pistols in CA. I have purchased them in CA without a problem, only the 10 day mandatory waiting period.
    New York CCW
    NRA Life Member

Seems to me you should be good to go. Just don't go into NYC where you aren't legal - don't fly out of the airports in NYC or Jersey as well.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

VIP Member

Here's the distinction/legal not legal

I do not understand how anything I am trying to do is illegal. You do not need a permit or license to purchase pistols in CA. I have purchased them in CA without a problem, only the 10 day mandatory waiting period.
    Apparently from what you posted you can purchase a firearm and bring it to your home, probably to your business, and probably by the most direct route.

But, transporting guns through the airlines, across states, requires that you be legally allowed to have the weapon in your possession at both ends of the trip.

When you pick up your suitcase in LA or SF, wherever, you will be unlicensed and in possession of a handgun. That is illegal, and it is a slightly different scenario from buying in a store and taking it home immediately.

There have been folks arrested in both NY and NJ who did nothing more than pick up their suitcase while making a transfer or going to a hotel for the night after a flight was canceled. While the situations aren't entirely parallel, I think you are putting yourself in jeopardy to attempt to take your guns with you.

I have no idea if anyone at the counter or TSA will check to see if you have a license at your destination, but if someone does, they might not even allow you to have your suitcase placed on-board; because, the Federal law is specific that you must be legal at both ends of the trip. In CA, like so many places, usually that means you must have either a license from CA or one they reciprocate.

I do understand your argument that you don't see a difference between picking up a gun at the store and taking it home and what you are doing. But, consider this. I bet unlicensed possession of a weapon at the airport is in and of itself illegal.

Again, you probably can go from the FFL to your home by the most direct route, but not from the airport. Different situation.

Of course, I might not be right. I still think the best bet is to call a CA FFL and direct your concerns to that person. They may know with more certainty if it is or is not OK to proceed as you are thinking you will. Obviously, I don't know CA law.

For a parallel example, here, until recently, you could in fact buy a gun at an FFL and bring it home, but otherwise could not even have it in the car unless you were on an overnight journey out of your home county. You were allowed to bring a weapon from home to your business and back by the most direct route, but not allowed otherwise to have it in your car.

I do not know CA law. I don't know if you are allowed to have a gun in your car without a license. If the answer is yes, then perhaps you will be OK with your plan; but then you still might not be legal while in the airport.

You need to make some inquiries in CA, unless someone knowledgeable and reliable from CA responds here.

I have never been challeged or denied based on then number of pistols checked in. I fly ALOT and carry sometimes 4 with me.
    They must be in locked hard cases. They will inspect them then TSA will probably xray everything.
    DO NOT sweat it. The only questions will be on the NY side - no-one in CA will know the bag contains a gun - your bags are not "tagged".

As for CA rules - worry about that once you get back

As a CA resident, I can speak about CA's end of the equation. Assuming that you have put your CA-rostered unloaded pistols (empty 10-rd magazine max) each into locking metal cases (recommend Centerofmass.com cases), packaged ammo in separate container, you can transport your luggage from the airline luggage pickup, to your vehicle, drive home, unload your vehicle and unpack your guns at home. No laws broken. Your only requirement is that you are supposed to register your new pistols with the CA DoJ within a month, cost is $19. Being military, you may be exempted from that.

To confirm what I've said here, I suggest a quick phone call to the DoJ. Their contact info is here:
    Contact Us - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

That is not correct. The average Joe will need either a HSC., (handgun safety certificate) a PC-832 certificate, be active LEO., posess a CCW. permit AND provide proof of residency to purchase a handgun in California.

Your active duty status was probably your ticket around that.

My only concern would be on the NY. side of things. I'm not 100% clear on NY. laws.

If all's good there, why not just declare the weapons at the airport prior to your flight?

VIP Member

Is an unlicensed individual allowed to possess in CA?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    As a CA resident, I can speak about CA's end of the equation. Assuming that you have put your CA-rostered unloaded pistols (empty 10-rd magazine max) each into locking metal cases (recommend Centerofmass.com cases), packaged ammo in separate container, you can transport your luggage from the airline luggage pickup, to your vehicle, drive home, unload your vehicle and unpack your guns at home. No laws broken. Your only requirement is that you are supposed to register your new pistols with the CA DoJ within a month, cost is $19. Being military, you may be exempted from that.

To confirm what I've said here, I suggest a quick phone call to the DoJ. Their contact info is here:
    Contact Us - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
    Is an unlicensed individual allowed to possess in the CA airport?

I can understand that once in CA and in his own car, and with the guns locked up, he will be O.K. perhaps both legally and as a practical matter.

I can understand that it is unlikely anyone will check his luggage for a gun on arrival in CA.

But what I think is unlawful is the unlicensed possession of the guns in the airport. (I'm assuming he is talking about handguns.)

His situation differs from the typical one we read here where there is a license that is recognized at both ends of the journey. In that case it is perfectly legal to pick up the luggage.

The original poster stated he does not have a CA license. Does anyone think unlicensed possession is not a felony in CA? Does anyone think unlicensed possession at the airport isn't a felony?

It is possible I suppose that it is not, so long as the weapon is not accessible, that is, locked and unloaded. Somehow, CA being CA, I sort of am skeptical that what is being proposed and suggested is O.K. Again, not to sound like a broken record, the o.p. needs to check the facts before he acts and possibly risks too much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links