Cant believe gun prices

Cant believe gun prices

This is a discussion on Cant believe gun prices within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I normally shop at one store locally for guns, they were aquired a few years ago by another large named local store (they have 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant believe gun prices

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Cant believe gun prices

I normally shop at one store locally for guns, they were aquired a few years ago by another large named local store (they have 2 or 3 shops all together, they concentrate on guns and anything outdoors up to boats) in Central Ohio (names being withheld to protect the innocent). They seem to always have decent prices, I just seen their December sales flyer for example, the XD is 419.99, last month same gun was 429.99 so a small savings.

Yesterday I went to another shop about 3/4 mile from where I work and was looking at the same gun. They had them for 489.99, so a $70 price difference. He stressed if I bought it from them I would get the XD pack with a holster and mag pouch and 2 mags (the normal gear with the XD and that I may not get that at the other place, which I knew better). These 2 places are rivals in this area from my understanding. When I mentioned to the sale guy that the other shop was much lower, his response was that he could not come close to matching the price, but he would give me some free range time if I would buy right then, when asked how much time, he said 1 day.

All I was thinking was its only giving me $22 more (thats how much a range pass for the day is, not counting ammo which must be bought from them) and not really a good deal.

I am just wondering if maybe I can convince them to give more than one day of time if I would buy from them, they would have to give atleast 3 days for me to consider it, considering the price differnece.

Sorry for the rant, just shocks me how 2 places only a few miles apart can charge so much more for the same item.

Administrator
    Basic economics... the little guy doesn't buy as much, therefor doesn't have the purchasing power the bigger guy has.
    I'm of the opinion that you should buy from whom ever has the better service, including after the sale. I'm willing to bet the little guy will serve you better in the longer run, eclipsing the $70. price difference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    No shock to me.

Many moons ago when I was shopping for a Colt Anaconda, there were two in town. At that time it was a brand new gun.

There was a difference of over 100 $ in price. When I mentioned that to the owner, he tried to convince me that I was making that up, that no one could sell them that cheap and make any money. So I said "yeah whatever" and walked out.

I bought the gun at the other shop. Several weeks later I walked in there again and he asked me if I was still looking for the Colt. Not anymore, I said, I already bought one. He asked if I minded telling him what the price was and I told him and I could tell he wasn't believing it then either.

It wasn't long till he went out of business. Some shop owners get caught in their own little universes and they never get out to see what others are doing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    I'm of the opinion that you should buy from whom ever has the better service, including after the sale. I'm willing to bet the little guy will serve you better in the longer run, eclipsing the $70. price difference.
    Ya know that sounds great in theory, but in this neck of the woods it almost never works out that way. If there was a difference in service, I might buy that, but when two shops are basically the same size and there is that much of a price difference, its obvious that one of them isn't in tune with their environment.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Ya know that sounds great in theory, but in this neck of the woods it almost never works out that way. If there was a difference in service, I might buy that, but when two shops are basically the same size and there is that much of a price difference, its obvious that one of them isn't in tune with their environment.
    Yeah, but being in the same state as the OP, I can take an educated guess at the shops involved.
    Sure, there are shops here too that have their stuff marked up much higher than the next guy, but I really dont think thats the case here.
    I dont mind paying a premium for convenience, service or if nothing else, to keep the independent mom and pop's open is my point.

We are also talking about the difference between a sale price and a regular price, so that would narrow the gap a little to when you figure that in. Bigger stores can afford to sell things like XD's at cost or even at a slight loss knowing that they will make a few bucks when you buy some ammo or a few spare mags to go along with it. The point of a sale is to get you in the door and to move product, not necessarily to make money in the short term.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Major movers or factory authorized dealers will usually have better prices because they get better discounts and they are passed on to the consumer. Above reply on economics pretty much tells the story. I saw and ad in today's local paper for a Ruger 10/22, then thought I'd go and check GunsAmerica prices to see what's going on in the big picture. Huge price span on these even after filtering out the factory models and those with other options. One good thing about the internet (other than this forum) is that with a little research, I always know my local dealer has the best prices available or I'll do business elsewhere.

I will say neither is a chain. Both of them you can call and speak to the owner, and both seem to provide some level of service. I have delt with both and can say the larger guys have went more out of their way. Maybe the location means something, the more expensive one is in a higher class area, and has an indoor range.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Administrator
    You do pay a premium for the range on site, they can get away with charging more because of the instant gratification factor.
    If they are both a local shop, I'd buy the cheaper gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I buy from one of two shops...one is a mile away, the other 90 miles. Sometimes it has been cheaper to buy from the more distant shop...but both are good to me on both ammo and guns.
    These two shops know I give them a lot of business...and they each give me discounts without even asking...they know me by name when I arrive.
    Even though both shops have multiple workers, it is the owner in each shop who will take me as a customer.

"Hey Mr. retsupt99 (to protect the innocent), I'll take care of him (said to his/her employee), what can I do for you today?"

One shop is run by a guy, the other a woman...

I like that kind of service.

Stay armed...support friendly local gun shops...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Being a good business man, shop owner, gun price

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    No shock to me.

It wasn't long till he went out of business. Some shop owners get caught in their own little universes and they never get out to see what others are doing.
    This is all too true, but sometimes they just can not afford to lower the price. Biz is going down either way.

My dad had a small manufacturing business. One of the things he had no choice but to do was shop for competing products at stores to see what they were priced like and what they were like in terms of quality and design.

My preference is to pay a little more and shop the small independents, but this gets more difficult with each passing day. The big box stores just have too much of an edge.

Unless either changes prices too much, I will be buying the cheaper guy, the same guy that was willing to extend me an extra 2 weeks on lay a way just for asking and the same guy that sells for less. I will take my savings and either buy a holster or use it for some range time. I have a hard time even thinking of paying 70 more for the same thing just because I can save a few miles of drive and get "free" (included in the price) range time.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I frequently will pay more to support a local small business that has been good to me. I even drive out of my way to pay too much for something. There are a couple of shops around here that treat me more like a friend than a customer. They treated me like that from the first time I walked in the door. That is why I keep coming back. To me there is a significant difference between " What can I get you?" and "How've you been?" when I walk in.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I make purchase decisions based on perceived value. Price, service, customer orientation, convenience, ancillary services, available accessories, installation, delivery, guarantees, relationships, et cetera.

I see no reason to give either a big box or a mom/pop an unwarranted advantage in a sale. Some of the worst firms I've ever dealt with are mom/pops. Some of the best, too.

Quality of service and value are not caused by nor prohibited by size. The best firms find ways to create value for customers. The worst ones just complain about them. Usually pretty easy to differentiate between them.

Edit/add: The worst ones generally go out of business, too.

I've seen where some Manufacturers are raising their prices.

The Beretta PX4 was advertised at one price a couple of months ago, and is now "higher".

When purchasing a gun (or ANYTHING of significant price) I look for several things. (in no particular order)

1) Service - what kind of service am I going after the purchase, and 3 years from now?
    2) Locally bassed? I try to give business to the local guy - support the local economy.
    3) Viability of the retailer - if they go out of business soon, I may loose a lot of service that I otherwise would have had.
    4) Consistancy of message - do I get different messages if I talk to different people at the store - I learned this one the hard way - if the message is consistant then I can probably trust it, if he message isn't consistant, then it is not trustworthy.

I take the results, weight them and make a decision.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links