Cowboy gunnin'

Cowboy gunnin'

This is a discussion on Cowboy gunnin' within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have a old style cowboy type single action they would want to mention? Been thinking of getting one after the new year. Eventually I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowboy gunnin'

Cowboy gunnin'

Anyone have a old style cowboy type single action they would want to mention? Been thinking of getting one after the new year. Eventually I want to have one with the same caliber as a levergun, so bear that in mind. I want something that is available new. Feel free to tell me anything you want, because I know nothing about these types of weapons and want to learn before I make my purchase.

Colt Single Action Army

How about a Colt SAA? It is available in a variety of calibers, most notably .45 Colt and I understand you can get a Henry repeating rifle also in that caliber. Another good caliber available in both is .44-40.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    Anyone have a old style cowboy type single action they would want to mention? Been thinking of getting one after the new year. Eventually I want to have one with the same caliber as a levergun, so bear that in mind. I want something that is available new. Feel free to tell me anything you want, because I know nothing about these types of weapons and want to learn before I make my purchase.

I have been a Cowboy action shooter for over 20 years and have settled for the USFA Single actions.

Years ago I was intrigued by a Skeeter Skelton article in which he rescued a old Colt single action , had it rebuilt ( for Bart) and finished it in a sandblasted/blued finish.

I own Colt SAA, Have owned Cimarrons, EMF, Navy Arms and own USFA Rodeo's. Colt has slipped in thier quailty control and USFA has stepped up to maintain outstanding quality. email me and I will explain if you want to know.

Marlin 1894's are avaiable in almost all the modern SAA calibers.

The 38-40 & 44-40 are the hardest to reload for as they are bottle neck catridges instead of the straight walled cartridges such as the 45 Colt, 44 Special/Magnum, 38/357, and required more TLC during reloading.

There are several winchester type rifles being producted in Italy and being imported by several compaines. These may be had in the most common pistol cartridges also.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Uberti Outlaw in 45 long colt. They make copies of all the oldies. I have a Remington rolling block chambered in 45 lc as well. There are several companies that make lever guns in this caliber.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Moderator
    I've got a Ruger Vaquero that is stainless. Its a .45 Colt and its pretty accurate once the sights are regulated.

We used a pretty standard load, 255 grain lead slug moving at 790 FPS. The front sights on many of the single actions were specifically made high so that the guns would shoot low. You shot, filed the front sight a bit, shot some more, and so on and so forth until the sight was the perfect height for that load and then you just stayed with that load.

Its amazing to me how many people suffer with guns that shoot 18 inches low at 25 yards because they didn't know that.

Anyhow, you can get stainless or blued. They are rugged guns and lots of fun to shoot and you can get them anywhere.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I grew up with single action revolvers. They are the perfect pointing handgun. I love my rugers in 44 mag. The vaquero is a great handgun. The coil springs are great!

I also hear alot of good things about the USFA revolvers. I don't know what springs they use.
    The reason I mention spring type is from when I was shooting the old ones in the mid -late 60's. We were constantly have to replace springs in them. Got so bad we were trying to make our own. This was because of alot of dry fire fast draw practice.

With the Colts your buying a name. They can't hold a candle to the other high quality but lower priced handguns out there.

Michael

As close as I can come would be my Ruger Single Six...but it's a fine weapon.

I wish I still had every SA type cowboy gun that had ever crossed my cleaning table.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I've made a lot of sets of nice ivory grips for Colt cowboy guns and only a few for the Rugers. Not making any these days though.
    Always loved the ol' six-shooters.

Iffen you git yerself an old one remember not to carry it with a loaded chamber under the hammer.
    What you want to do is roll up a $20 bill real tight and small like and stuff it into that one cylinder chamber.
    Keep that one with the money in it under the hammer.
    That will be yer burying money if you get shot and killed in a gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I've made a lot of sets of nice ivory grips for Colt cowboy guns and only a few for the Rugers. Not making any these days though.
    Always loved the ol' six-shooters.

Iffen you git yerself an old one remember not to carry it with a loaded chamber under the hammer.
    What you want to do is roll up a $20 bill real tight and small like and stuff it into that one cylinder chamber.
    Keep that one with the money in it under the hammer.
    That will be yer burying money if you get shot and killed in a gunfight.
    Is there some history attached to that?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've got an Uberti Cattleman in .45 LC, pretty decent gun, it's got a nice case colored look to it too.

Also a Heritage arms Big Bore in .357, not as pretty as the Uberti, but it was a fair bit cheaper, kinda rough around the edges but shoots ok.

And a Navy Arms 1851 Navy in .44 cap and ball pistol, fun to shoot, although not the most accurate.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have 2 of the USFA Pre-Wars, 1 USFA Henry Nettleton and 1 Cimarron Firearms Model P. The Cimarron required a $300.00 action job out of the box to get it to run correctly, so it wasn't much of a savings. I can't say enough good things about the USFA revolvers. They are, IMHO, the finest 1873 revolvers being made today.

For a rifle, I have a Cimarron 1873 Deluxe Rifle (made by Uberti). The Uberti 1873 or 1866 replicas are as smooth and slick as you can ask for mainly because it's a very basic design, true to the originals. But, they are expensive. If you don't want to spring for the cost of one of these, the Marlin 1894 Cowboy is as good as you can get and much less expensive.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Best info is on the SASS site.
    That said, I have an old Uberti in 45 Colt, a new Great Western in 45 Colt, and 2 Colts in the same caliber.
    All of them shoot to point of aim.
    I advise someone that if you want a lifetime gun go Colt. If you want a beat around that works all the time get one of the Uberti's under a number of names.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I bought a Beretta Stampede about a year ago that is a great revolver. It shoots where I point and its built well.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Administrator
    Yes, there is real history attached to that.
    I don't remember where I heard or read it (possibly in the Colt firearms book) but, it was done.
    The money for the undertaker was stored in that unused cylinder hole so that the "decently deceased" could pay for his coffin or proper burial.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Is there some history attached to that?

Colt Single Action Army

I guess I'm in the minority here suggesting the Colt Single Action Army. I have heard on the ColtForum - Powered by vBulletin that the new 3rd generation SAAs are some of the best they have ever made. I have not had the opportunity to try one of the recent models. I've had my newest one for over 30 years now.

Max

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links