Best over all bang for the buck?

This is a discussion on Best over all bang for the buck? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I just got a sizeable check from my grandfather for Christmas. I was thinking about making a new purchase with part of it. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best over all bang for the buck?

Best over all bang for the buck?

So, I just got a sizeable check from my grandfather for Christmas. I was thinking about making a new purchase with part of it. I have been wanting a 1911 pattern gun for a while to shoot ESP.
    I am going to stay in 9mm as I don't want to have to stock up on another calibre of ammo. So, please, no "You should get it in .45ACP." replies.
    I was looking at the Kimber Custom Stainless Target II even before this gift.
    I even posted a thread about the Kimber a little bit ago.

I now come to the question. What one would you recommend for best quality for the price? I could get a Springfield Loaded in 9mm, the afore mentioned Kimber or I could go whole hog and check into a Wilson Classic ESP type. I would have to get a fibre optic front sight and a mag well put on any of them. I figure the lowest cost would be the Springer. the Kimber would be next and the Wilson the highest. I'd have to buy the sight and mag well and get a smith to put them on either of the Springfield or the Kimber. For the Wilson, they,of course, all come with the bulletproof Wilson parts. And since you basically have to call Wilson and order it from them, I could have the mag well and the sight put on at the factory. For reliability and craftsmanship Wilson will always come out on top in this choice. But, would the Wilson really be worth the extra bucks? Would it be that much better?

I have never had a custom gun, not even the semi custom type like a Kimber Custom series. It would be cool to have one but it isn't near the main reason for me to choose one over the others.

Thanks.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

2. Remove Ads

HKR
    If you can afford the Wilson, I can't think of a good reason to buy one of the other two.

You should get a .45

Just kidding!

Any of those would be fine guns. Wilson or Springfield have the best reputation.

Buy whatever makes you smile the most!

Charles

IMHO Springfield.......and you will have money left and they are famous for making things better.....I had one of e/a and wish I had save the money the 1st time.......go to a store and put them next to e/a other
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

This one time, ask youself which one do you really, really want. I would think it would be very nice to have a custom made pistol, made just for me just the way I want it and could say for the rest of my life 'my grandfather got that for me'.

VIP Member
    I think my Springfield Loaded Champion was a lot of gun for the money spent!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If you get the chance, check out a Dan Wesson.

Think long and hard first. Buyers remorse sucks.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Wilson, Springer,Kimber. In that order. The only drawback to the Wilson is price. The Springer? None that I can think of,except you may wish you had bought the Wilson. The Kimber? Every single one that I have had has required a trip back to the factory for various reliability reasons. Some folks dont seem to hve the problems with Kimber that I do, but then, some folks probably dont get to send as many shots downrange as I do.

Your title says best bang for your buck, In my opinion none of the guns you mention would qualify. Not that they are fine firearms because they are, but they aren't the best deal out there. In my opinion one of the best deals to be had is the Stoeger Cougars, copies of the Beretta's, for $350-$400 it is a very hard deal to pass on. If I had the extra coinage I would be adding one to the safe.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Your title says best bang for your buck, In my opinion none of the guns you mention would qualify. Not that they are fine firearms because they are, but they aren't the best deal out there. In my opinion one of the best deals to be had is the Stoeger Cougars, copies of the Beretta's, for $350-$400 it is a very hard deal to pass on. If I had the extra coinage I would be adding one to the safe.

NCH
    Well with that logic you could pick up a used glock for the same amount of coin, which would be better than anything Stoeger can make.

As far as which 9mm 1911, I am not much help as I only own .45's but my kimber has never let me down so far. I do hear that with the 9mm 1911's the gun is not usually what will give you the problems, it will be the mags. Dont skimp when buying them for sure!

In these days/times,WHATEVER ya buy, make sure to leave some money for ammo....lots and lots of ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    In these days/times,WHATEVER ya buy, make sure to leave some money for ammo....lots and lots of ammo!
    That is one of main reasons I want it in 9mm. That is what all my other pistols use and I have a decent amount of it.

For the record, I already have several Glocks and a nice new M&P Pro. They are all SSP guns. The Cougar that someone mentioned are the same, and are not something I'd really want or need.

I plan on trying the new Wilson ETMs and some Cobramags. I hear those are probably the best two out there.

I have been reading multiple forums and been asking many question on this topic and I have finally decided on the Springfield. I just can't afford the Wilson. They start around $2500 for the Classic line. That is just more than I can afford, or justify to myself.

Thanks for all your comments!

EDIT. Now I just have to find one! LOL

Argh! I called all over and nobody locally has one. So, I look again at the auction sites for those I've been keeping an eye on. There are a couple out there that have been up there for a while. This evening, I see a new one listed. This place had over 2000 A+ feedback and I decide to bid on it. None of the other ones, and they were all about the same price, have moved so i figure I'm pretty safe to win this auction. Blast it all. Someone outbids me anyway.

Those hi dollar guns are nice...too nice IMO. At least a Springfield champion gives you alot of bang for the buck and you can customize the way YOU see fit.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links