My sweetie asked me for a gun!

This is a discussion on My sweetie asked me for a gun! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Actually, she asked me to leave her one when I wasn't home. I was kind of shocked, she's never really taken need for one that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My sweetie asked me for a gun!

Actually, she asked me to leave her one when I wasn't home. I was kind of shocked, she's never really taken need for one that seriously. We have had a rash of home invasion robberies lately, and they have been violent. So I asked her which one. Turns out she was eyeing my Smith 640-1. Noooooo, I really like that one. So I told her we would just have to buy her one.

Now she wanted a house gun not a CCH. 642's were on sale for $369 after rebates, but as we looked at them, she doesn't need lightweight, or short barrel. I looked at 4" K frames, but she has small hands and that didn't work. She's also had both hands cut on for Carpal Tunnel, so I hoped a heavier gun would be more pleasant, and encourage her to shoot more. Out of the blue, the gunstore guy set down 2 SP101s, 2 and 3 inch .357s. I almost didn't look at them, I'm pretty died in the wool S&W. That darn 3" fit her hand, balances nicely, and has a nice heft. So I have a Ruger revolver now?!? Who new?

It took a few days, but we got to the range last Monday. She shot pretty well, but her hand started to cramp after the first box. I have her shooting DA only(wish they had a DAO in stock) and her finger would lock up before she full stroked the trigger. I rolled off five shots, and we left.

My brother came by with a Wolf spring kit, and in under five minutes, it's a totally different gun. She is real excited with the trigger pull, bugging me to know when we can shoot again. At Christmas dinner, she hauled my son and my neice off to show it to them. I'm really pleased with her change in attitude, and I'm flat shocked how much I like that SP101. I let you know how she did with the spring kit when we get out again.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Congradulations on having a bride that takes safety serious
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Remind her in a SD situation, she won't care about her wrist hurting (adreniline will kill the pain) and hopefully she won't need to empty the gun but once.

VIP Member
    Excellent!! No downside to that at all, not even the increase in your gun budget. Well worth it!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Good for you. My wife carries either her 2" SP101 DAO in .357, or recently she has taken a liking to my XD40SC. You can always have the hammer bobbed by a competent gunsmith if you want her to carry a DAO. The SP101 is a great little pocket rocket.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Congratulations. Now make sure you get her out there and practice practice practice.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

OD*
    Congratulations.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    The SP101 is a great gun, she has every reason to be proud of it. And yes, the spring kit makes a big difference!
    "Just blame Sixto"

check out what these guys do with sp101's:
    Gemini Customs LLC - Custom 1911 Firearms
    click around a bit - great "packages" available - I'm saving up my nickels right now

Well congrats are in order! She certainly picked a good gun as well. Oh, and beware Gemini Customs! The work is beautiful and can cause you to part with money fast. I know, I'm saving up for a little of his magic right now....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    While I like the looks of the work done by Gemini customs, I can't see the advantage of the porting in a SD weapon. Maybe I don't know any better, but it seems that the extra muzzle flash would totally ruin any night vision (worse than a non-ported muzzle flash I guess).

Am I wrong?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    While I like the looks of the work done by Gemini customs, I can't see the advantage of the porting in a SD weapon. Maybe I don't know any better, but it seems that the extra muzzle flash would totally ruin any night vision (worse than a non-ported muzzle flash I guess).

Am I wrong?
    I agree, I would think the muzzle flash in low light would make a follow up shot more difficult. The only ported gun I have owned was a 6 1/2" barreled .44 mag. Even in range lighting it was bright. I'd stick with the non-ported gun.

Wait 'till arthritis begins to set in and you still like them little light revolvers with +P
    loads! The flash of a .44 is a tad bit bigger than a J Frame .38.

Also, not all porting is the same. What works for some may not work for others.

For the OP Congrats again on a gun lovin' girl! Sounds like a keeper.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

As the worm turns

Well, she told me that we need to shoot once a week. We went last Wednesday, and while I was wandering around looking at stuff while she filled out her visitor pass, she up and joined my range. For $35 she got a year, they extended mine a year from the date, and Wednesday is lady's day. Women members shoot free. Hum, Wednesday is her day off.

Don't rub the lamp if you don't want the genie to pop out!
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

OD*
    It was meant to be.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links