Can I join the club?

This is a discussion on Can I join the club? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a 1911, I got a 1911!!! A few days ago at work I asked my boss to order a Colt Commander for me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I join the club?

Can I join the club?

I got a 1911, I got a 1911!!! A few days ago at work I asked my boss to order a Colt Commander for me (I work in a gun shop), and he did, and it came in yesterday, and I picked it up today! I'm in a good mood. It is a Colt, so of course there are flaws. The left side grip has badly done checkering and the thumb safety travels down too far, but whatever, it's a .45 ACP and it was designed by JMB. Good enough for me. So can I join the club? Huh huh huh? Pics are on the way.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Well sure, ya got the secret decoder pistol so why not.

Congrats but ya should have had pics when ya post ...lol

Now you'll find out why the old timers love the standard .45.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    It is a Colt, so of course there are flaws.
    Thats not flaws. Its called..."character".
    ("There are many like it, but this one is mine.")
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    oO( its a series 80+ so ya only get provisional membership pledge ) LOL

Administrator

Thumbs up You ARE IN The Club.

Congrats!

A New Colt Carrying Member Of The Pony Elite.

I sure would not worry about the grips...you'll probably be putting a set of Ivory grips on there...before too long anyway.

When you say the thumb safety moves down too far...do you mean that the lower part of it extends past the rear "edge line" of the frame when it's in the OFF position? Take a close up photo of that...if you think of it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    He has a Colt and works in a gun shop. Ain't life grand!

Assistant Administrator
    So - where is Bruce then when there's a party started eh!??
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    So - where is Bruce then when there's a party started eh!??
    Lurking in the Shadows, awaiting pics.

Congrats on the new purchase, what one did you get? There are special rules, and a secret pledge you have to do before being alowed to become a member. Also is this 1911 going to be your new carry piece? If not you may be bumped to the way back of the membership line

Hurry up and post some pics man, we ain't getting any younger.

I'm also interested in the "safety moves down too far" thing. So, another request for info or a photo of that. My Defender's safety moves down farther than my Government one, but it's never caused a problem.
    There is something (a good something, I think) about carrying a 45 with the little horse on it. I'm looking at a poster in my office right now with a line across the bottom: "Real Cowboys Shoot Colts"
    Kind of fun.... and welcome to the club - but do let me know how to get one of those decoder rings. None of my Colts came with them. Drat!

OK, an update with pics. To clarify, it's a 1991A1 Commander with a blue finish. Just the basics thank you very much. Yes, it will be a carry gun (Gary's making me a holster and belt ), and yes, the blue will wear, but I can deal with that. Once the finish is worn, it will go out for a few 'enhancements' and a new finish (not sure which one yet). Pictures 2 and 3 show the problem with the thumb safety. It engages very positively and allows absolutely no movement of the hammer when engaged, so it is in fact safe. The problem is that the forward tip, which engages with the plunger, overtravels by about 1/8". It just feels sloppy. I may have a new Wilson safety fitted.

The grips are a bit more annoying. There's no excuse for the left grip to have left the factory like that. It's poor finish is pretty visible in the thumb safety pics and in Picture 4. Picture 5 is the opposite grip, which is beautiful. Yes, I do plan to replace these with slimline grips for carry, but I'd also like to hold on to the original factory grips as well. I just got off the phone with Colt, they said to send them in and they'll evaluate them then send a replacement if warranted. I'm not too pleased about having to pay shipping to get a simple grip panel replaced, but oh well. Their rep was very pleasant on the phone. I've also got two Cobra magazines from Tripp Research on the way and in a minute I'll order a Wilson 8 rounder with a flush-fit baseplate for carry. Tripp doesn't offer flush-fit baseplates yet or I'd probably go with theirs, I like the follower design better.

I detail-stripped the pistol last night for cleaning and familiarization. It is an elegant, beautiful, simple and efficient design, but man is it a ***** to take apart and put together! The insides had a little bit of crud and grease from the factory, so I cleaned it all out and lubed everything up with Tetra-Gun grease. It's worked well on my Kel-Tec. My brother and I also went to the local gun-club last night and got a membership, so now we can shoot at their indoor range for $3.00 a visit! They even let us share a membership since we live together. Really nice group of people, I can't wait to get out there and break this bad boy in. So do I get the secret handshake now, please please please?
    Attached Images
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Assistant Administrator
    Bruce will have to decide on the handshake!! But I'd say you are in with a good chance

Excellent pics - thx for posting those. Well yeah that overtravel is easy to see but - it'd seem that even so the detent function still engages and, with safety function apparently good, no major safety issue as such.

Seems like the grip panel is just one of those shoddy ones that QC should have caught.

Disassembly/reassembly - gets easier over time
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Sorry But

We are unable to clue you in on the secret handshake until your "Holster By Gary" arrives.

I see you've got some Gold Dot there.
    I've had lots of Good Luck with Speer ammo.
    Real nice looking firearm BTW.
    Let us know how that handgun is sending bullets out the front end after you've had the chance to get it a bit hot and dirty.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    We are unable to clue you in on the secret handshake until your "Holster By Gary" arrives.
    no holster, no handshake

Nice pistol, sorry about the QC thing, I had some small blemishes on my new XSE as well.

The only thing that I dislike about the 1991 A1's is the trigger, that solid black trigger looks terrible, they could have at least put some round holes in it or something.

How are the edges on it? Pretty sharp? I had to dehone my XSE, but as your is blues, you may have to wait till you get it refinished before you start filing on it.

Congrats.

Lead Moderator
    Bruce is getting slow in his old age (How many monkey years to a man year?), I expected to see him as message #2 in this thread, but he was down there.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links