Auto pistols and accuracy versus wheel guns.

This is a discussion on Auto pistols and accuracy versus wheel guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading an article about a gunfight Wild Bill Hickok was involved in with a guy named Davis Tutt. It is said that this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto pistols and accuracy versus wheel guns.

I was reading an article about a gunfight Wild Bill Hickok was involved in with a guy named Davis Tutt. It is said that this is one of the only truly documented quick draw gunfights that actually happened and was witnessed by a number of people. Long story short, Hickok drew aimed and fired hitting Tutt center mass at 75 yards, killing him. Tutt missed. No small feat.

It got me thinking then about how those old gunfighters had to rely on supreme accuracy based on a number of reasons, such as weapon and ammo reliability and relatively low ammunition capacity by todays auto pistol standards. Today's handguns are much more reliable, and more so the ammo we use.

I then wondered how much the high capacity auto's we use have an effect on our accuracy. If we had fewer rounds would we concentrate more on being that much more accurate, as well as where we placed our shots?

It's all mentality.

My father in law is retired Chicago motorcycle cop, and retired FBI (incl. a few years as firearm instructor). Long time where his duty weapon was a S&W model 60. He had 6 shots in the gun, 6 more in his pocket, period. You make every shot count, period.

He was on his way out when the FBI started phasing in the autos 100%, and the "Double Tap". He saw the accuracy of the agents take a nose dive because now they had 30 rounds or more instead of 12-18, reload time got quicker so that added to the losing the emphasis on shot placement.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Probably a model 66, not a 60.

As someone recently mentioned (I believe it was Opfor), I'd rather have a good hit now rather than a great hit later. You are probably right that accuracy would increase knowing you are limited, but under fire is the increase in accuracy worth the increase in time it take you to get that shot off?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Probably a model 66, not a 60.
    Been a while since we talked about it. You are probably correct, as I am not familiar with wheel guns.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Been a while since we talked about it. You are probably correct, as I am not familiar with wheel guns.
    Yeah, the model 60's are 5 shot.

Wheel guns get a slight nod, from me anyway, on accuracy, but it is really marginal for myself. With relatively the same accuracy, I'll lean to the auto's with more capacity generally, but I do carry a wheel gun sometimes.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

My Father, may he rest in peace, would go out Dove hunting and take a 20 gauge single shot (just to show the rest of us up) and REGULARLY kill 12 birds with 12-13 shells. We would kid him when he missed that one Dove. We would shoot a box of shells for a couple birds. He always said that is because when he grew up he would have to trap skins and work all Summer for a single box of shells to hunt with. He is right of course. We don't grow up that way anymore.

Ron
    Depends upon the wheelgun. I find that it is more difficult to be as accurate with my S&W snub nose 642 then with my semi-automatic, except at relatively close up ranges.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

That shot was straight through the heart! Wild Bill was using Colt's '51 Navys, the old cap 'n ball kind too. I've read that he was meticulous about his guns as his life depended on it. He unloaded, cleaned and reloaded every day. Still amazing though.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by skycop View Post
    I was reading an article about a gunfight Wild Bill Hickok was involved in with a guy named Davis Tutt. It is said that this is one of the only truly documented quick draw gunfights that actually happened and was witnessed by a number of people. Long story short, Hickok drew aimed and fired hitting Tutt center mass at 75 yards, killing him. Tutt missed. No small feat.

It got me thinking then about how those old gunfighters had to rely on supreme accuracy based on a number of reasons, such as weapon and ammo reliability and relatively low ammunition capacity by todays auto pistol standards. Today's handguns are much more reliable, and more so the ammo we use.

I then wondered how much the high capacity auto's we use have an effect on our accuracy. If we had fewer rounds would we concentrate more on being that much more accurate, as well as where we placed our shots?

I shoot a revolver more accurately than a pistol, unless it's a snub nose.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    There is nothing inherently more accurate about a revolver when compared to modern, quality autos when talking about guns that are designed primarily for self defense.

There is also NOTHING about having fewer shots that would make you more accurate - it is entirely within the shooters control whether he will be sloppy with his Ruger #1, or precisely accurate with each shot from his C-Mag equipped AR. If you are spray-and-pray simply because your weapon allows it, then shame on you, not the weapon.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    There is nothing inherently more accurate about a revolver when compared to modern, quality autos when talking about guns that are designed primarily for self defense.

There is also NOTHING about having fewer shots that would make you more accurate - it is entirely within the shooters control whether he will be sloppy with his Ruger #1, or precisely accurate with each shot from his C-Mag equipped AR. If you are spray-and-pray simply because your weapon allows it, then shame on you, not the weapon.

Administrator
    I agree with OPFOR 110%. A revolver tends to expose bad technique a little quicker than an auto, its all about who's doing the shooting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I believe Wyatt Earp said something like "be slow in a hurry" regarding gun fights. Basically, be fast and smooth and don't rush.

As far as accuracy goes, it's going to come down to the shooter's familiarity, practice, and confidence with the weapon he's shooting.

Familiarity: the shooter knows how to operate the weapon.
    Practice: the shooter has spent time sending rounds down range to become proficient with it.
    Confidence: the shooter has used the gun enough to feel confident that it won't blow up in his face or fail to function, and through familiarity and practice, the shooter is reasonably sure the rounds will hit where the gun is aimed.

-JT

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that because of the gases lost to blow the slide back decreased velocity and accuracy.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links