Torture test

This is a discussion on Torture test within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday I was at my Fathers and we were sighting in some rifles, and my sister and BIL showed up, I had my XSE and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torture test

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Torture test

Yesterday I was at my Fathers and we were sighting in some rifles, and my sister and BIL showed up, I had my XSE and 12 mags with me so i decided to do a little test.
    I loaded up all 12 mags and started shooting, my father and BIL were reloading the mags, I went through 350 rounds, just about as fast as I could pull the trigger and do a mag change. The results were-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My XSE performed flawlessly, it never missed a beat in 350 rounds, and she was HOT at the end. After about 75 rounds the accuracy kinda faded away and it was just pumping the lead out. 350 rounds down range as fast as I could reload and never had a second of trouble.
    I love this gun. It was worth all the $$ I paid for it. Its weird how the accuracy went downhill when it got hot, I mean by the end it was almost too hot to hold.
    Only took about 8-10 min to go through 350 rounds, I love it.

2. Remove Ads

When they get hot they can string shots were you shooting actuall lead or FMJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    When they get hot they can string shots were you shooting actuall lead or FMJ?
    FMJ

just got hot then ..ya know shoot like that isnt great for barrel life

just got hot then ..ya know shoot like that isnt great for barrel life
    Thats why I sent in the warrenty card Bud, if and when it breaks I'll send it back. Shoot it like ya stole it, right? I had fun though, thats all that matters. Plus when it cooled down (today) I put another 25 rounds down range and it was just as accurate as before.

But thats a fine pistol how could you treat it like that ..now a glock on the other hand ive done that

But thats a fine pistol how could you treat it like that ..
    Its no good to me sitting on the shelf. I like to shoot it, weather is abuse or not, I like to shoot it. Have put over a thousnads rounds down range without 1 single (knock on wood) malfunction.

When push comes to shove I know this old girl has my back

Well shooting it is ok but shooting that hard is a no no ya dont do that to something ya like

Well shooting it is ok but shooting that hard is a no no ya dont do that to something ya like
    Gotta make sure its going to work when and if I need it ya know. Its just a tool, and tools get abused sometimes.

I don't intend on doing that again, just wanted to make sure it could handle it ya know.

Well ok as long as your not gonna do it again

Assistant Administrator
    Torture alright!! Hmmm yes, poor barrel will certainly have been well ''excercised'' - but that is a lot for near continuous fire.

Good result re reliability tho - can't fault that for sure.

350 rounds - Hmmmm <$$$$$'s> - expensive session!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Gun Steel

Clarification:

I think most gun barrels can handle getting hot.
    There is a difference between Hot & truly RED Hot.
    Example: Boiling water at only 212F is HOT to the human hand in that none of us can keep a hand submerged in boiling water for very long.

But, 212F is not at all hot for barrel steel.
    Neither would 300F be considered hot for a steel barrel.

I would think that you would need to get the barrel hot enough that the heat actually begins to warp or temper the steel.

I'm pretty sure that most Gun Kote type finishes get oven baked onto guns at 350F & that temp is not ever a problem with guns...though you would not be able to touch it right out of the oven.

I've shot some Colt barrels until they were very hot to the touch without ever causing any physical problems to the barrel.

i would worry about burning out the start of the rifleing or eroding it as happens in rifle sure 45 isnt as power full a cartridge but they hotter the barrel gets the easyer the damage can be done

Administrator

Increased erosion

That's interesting.
    I wonder how prolonged repeated rapid fire would have to be....before the internal barrel steel was appreciably altered to the point where practical Self~Defense accuracy was affected?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Gotta be prepared for those mass zombie attacks ya'know.

I did something similar with my M1A when I first got it fired a sardine can of chinko-pinko aka Norinco .308 through in one sitting. But I did allow some cooling off the rifle through the 440 rds.

And I have run a couple 100rds or so through a few pistols in one sitting with no troubles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links