Defensive Carry banner

Torture test

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Euclidean 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was at my Fathers and we were sighting in some rifles, and my sister and BIL showed up, I had my XSE and 12 mags with me so i decided to do a little test.
I loaded up all 12 mags and started shooting, my father and BIL were reloading the mags, I went through 350 rounds, just about as fast as I could pull the trigger and do a mag change. The results were-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My XSE performed flawlessly, it never missed a beat in 350 rounds, and she was HOT at the end. After about 75 rounds the accuracy kinda faded away and it was just pumping the lead out. 350 rounds down range as fast as I could reload and never had a second of trouble.
I love this gun. It was worth all the $$ I paid for it. Its weird how the accuracy went downhill when it got hot, I mean by the end it was almost too hot to hold.
Only took about 8-10 min to go through 350 rounds, I love it.:22a:

See less See more
#5 ·
Bud White said:
just got hot then ..ya know shoot like that isnt great for barrel life
Thats why I sent in the warrenty card Bud, if and when it breaks I'll send it back. Shoot it like ya stole it, right? I had fun though, thats all that matters. Plus when it cooled down (today) I put another 25 rounds down range and it was just as accurate as before.

#7 ·
Bud White said:
But thats a fine pistol how could you treat it like that ..
Its no good to me sitting on the shelf. I like to shoot it, weather is abuse or not, I like to shoot it. Have put over a thousnads rounds down range without 1 single (knock on wood) malfunction.

When push comes to shove I know this old girl has my back :smile:

#11 ·
Torture alright!! :biggrin2: Hmmm yes, poor barrel will certainly have been well ''excercised'' - but that is a lot for near continuous fire.

Good result re reliability tho - can't fault that for sure.

350 rounds - Hmmmm <$$$$$'s> - expensive session!!

#12 ·
Gun Steel

Clarification:

I think most gun barrels can handle getting hot.
There is a difference between Hot & truly RED Hot.
Example: Boiling water at only 212F is HOT to the human hand in that none of us can keep a hand submerged in boiling water for very long.:aargh4:

But, 212F is not at all hot for barrel steel.
Neither would 300F be considered hot for a steel barrel.

I would think that you would need to get the barrel hot enough that the heat actually begins to warp or temper the steel.

I'm pretty sure that most Gun Kote type finishes get oven baked onto guns at 350F & that temp is not ever a problem with guns...though you would not be able to touch it right out of the oven.

I've shot some Colt barrels until they were very hot to the touch without ever causing any physical problems to the barrel.

#14 ·
Increased erosion

That's interesting.
I wonder how prolonged repeated rapid fire would have to be....before the internal barrel steel was appreciably altered to the point where practical Self~Defense accuracy was affected?:confused:

#15 ·
Gotta be prepared for those mass zombie attacks ya'know.

I did something similar with my M1A when I first got it fired a sardine can of chinko-pinko aka Norinco .308 through in one sitting. But I did allow some cooling off the rifle through the 440 rds.

And I have run a couple 100rds or so through a few pistols in one sitting with no troubles.

#16 ·
Sometimes it makes me smile to realize that some time ago when it was still gaining popularity one of the gun rags shot 17,000 rounds through an XD without pause or cleaning and it did just fine.

Then they froze it and shot 1000 rounds, then cleaned it and dropped it in mud and shot 1000 rounds, and I believe they cleaned it once more and then buried it in sand and shot 1000 round with it.

#18 ·
Euclidean said:
Then they froze it and shot 1000 rounds, then cleaned it and dropped it in mud and shot 1000 rounds, and I believe they cleaned it once more and then buried it in sand and shot 1000 round with it.
tests like that prove very little and in many ways are "silly", but theyre cool to look at. if you want to see a really cool but true "torture test", read this torture test. the owner pounds his glock into talcum powder, drags it down the road with his truck, buries it, throws it from an airplane, shoots it with another gun, and just gets nuts with it. it proves very little, but it sure is fun reading.

#19 ·
Bruces45 said:
Its weird how the accuracy went downhill when it got hot, I mean by the end it was almost too hot to hold.
I didn't know a barrel could get hot enough to affect accuracy in an extended rapid-fire session.
Having done it a couple times in my Deltas I always figured it was hand/wrist fatigue that was throwing shots.

Nice to know there's a chance it wasn't ALL me... :rolleyes:

#20 ·
Chad said:
I didn't know a barrel could get hot enough to affect accuracy in an extended rapid-fire session.
Having done it a couple times in my Deltas I always figured it was hand/wrist fatigue that was throwing shots.

Nice to know there's a chance it wasn't ALL me... :rolleyes:
It was at around the 75 round mark when they started to wander.

True it wasn't a torture test, it was more or less just fun (and kinda expensive) but very fun. :yup:

#21 ·
NaturalSelection said:
tests like that prove very little and in many ways are "silly", but theyre cool to look at. if you want to see a really cool but true "torture test", read this torture test. the owner pounds his glock into talcum powder, drags it down the road with his truck, buries it, throws it from an airplane, shoots it with another gun, and just gets nuts with it. it proves very little, but it sure is fun reading.
i agree they really dont prove nothing ..

No it getting shot would be a good test course ive seen that done in the ptooma manual and it Ran

#22 ·
Bruces45 said:
It was at around the 75 round mark when they started to wander.

True it wasn't a torture test, it was more or less just fun (and kinda expensive) but very fun. :yup:
I've never done it to the extent you did...6 mags a couple times and 12 mags once.(8rnds/mag)

Definitely fun, and making a habit of it would be expensive with the Doubletap 10mm ammo!

#23 ·
The Military

I'm guessing that the military requirements & mil tests are probably what initially prompted the "Let's Have Fun" Civilian Torture Testing.

I agree that some of it is quite unrealistic.

Some of the tests have some merit though.
It's nice to know that a military Colt .45 pistol will run fine completely devoid of all traces of oil.

I think that ANY quality handgun will perform fine if drenched in water then shaken out & fired.
The "Drop Tests" on concrete are interesting also since that sure could happen in real life.

I really don't care how any of my pistols will function after being submerged in pig blood for a week & then repeatedly run over by a Jeep in the desert.:blink:

#25 ·
mag dumps are fun! after seeing friends empty AK's and me dumping 12 30 rnds mags full thru my AR. Unless I was shooting a Match accurate gun, I wouldn't worry too much.

#26 ·
NaturalSelection said:
how much of this wandering, if any, do you feel was due to shooter fatigue? ive never noticed a significant loss of accuracy like youve described.
What are ya trying to say? :smile: When sight A is aligned with sight B and there fixed onto target C then when the gun goes bang the bullet should hit somewhere next to C. :biggrin2:

Ya know some could have been me, but I don't mean it was like feet off, all were still in a 12" circle, just not as close as they were at the begginning. Oh yeah I was between 32'-35 ' for most of the shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.