My $6 mags

My $6 mags

This is a discussion on My $6 mags within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I recieved my 12 round mags yesterday, and as expected they are not top quality (what are really gonna get for $6 a piece) ...

Thread: My $6 mags

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

My $6 mags

Well I recieved my 12 round mags yesterday, and as expected they are not top quality (what are really gonna get for $6 a piece) But they look cool as heck.
    Out of the box they sucked, wouldn't even allow a round to be chambered, it kept getting pushed out weird and would end up straight up and cause a stovepipe type situation.
    The cure was.................................. I changed the followers and filed the lips down a little(they were very tight, you really had to work to get it loaded) and now they seem to function well. I haven't shot with them yet, but can't wait to try.
    Attached Images

Administrator

You'll make them work.

Neat looking anyway!
    Little tweaking and some fancy switcharoo work & you'll get them going!

Hopefully that will get them fixed up for ya

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - the two critical aspects - feed lips and follower.

It is worth comparing the angle appearance of top round with that in a known good mag - and adjust/tweak feed lips to match. Sometimes some metal removal works but also very minor adjustments with needle pliers can do too - just changing the flair angle etc.

Follower - well, gotta be free as free so - no snags anywhere on its travels.

Glad you seem to have tweaked those OK Bruce - heck $6 is no great loss even if they fail! My cheapie $10 Eagle mags for the 226 needed some tweaks but - now run and allow me to save good mags from abuse at IDPA etc.

Glad too they came thru - as we had wondered about the reliability of the source!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Yes - the two critical aspects - feed lips and follower.

It is worth comparing the angle appearance of top round with that in a known good mag - and adjust/tweak feed lips to match. Sometimes some metal removal works but also very minor adjustments with needle pliers can do too - just changing the flair angle etc.

Follower - well, gotta be free as free so - no snags anywhere on its travels.

Glad too they came thru - as we had wondered about the reliability of the source!!
    Chris, I did have to get after them with a pair of plyers, as the feed lips were "crimped" instead of nicely "rolled" like my quality mags. When I first ot them the top round sat so low you had a hard time pushing it out with your thumb, and it wouldn't feed any of the rounds into the chamber. Now the top round sits exactly the same as it does in my other mags and it goes in the pistol nicels and feed every one (by hand haven't shot it yet) and drops free without a problem. So for $12 and a hour wirth of tinkering i got some cool range mags.

Lead Moderator
    I picked up 8 new $6 mags off e bay. Parked finish and no tweeking to get em to work flawlessly. Funn y think, they work better than the C. MCormick mags I picked up.

Links