Went to a gun show....disappointing

This is a discussion on Went to a gun show....disappointing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone please tell me what the deal is with gun show prices now? I remember in the 90's, the deals at a gun show were ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Went to a gun show....disappointing

Went to a gun show....disappointing

Someone please tell me what the deal is with gun show prices now? I remember in the 90's, the deals at a gun show were generally $20 or more better than I could get at the local dealers stores. But now, I go to the gun shows and all the gun prices are $20, $30, $50 even $100 more than I can find at my local dealers stores. Why is that?

I went to a gun show today. I wanted to yet again fondle some XD's and XD-M's (Chooie, now I really know why you are willing to part with that beautiful XD .40 to buy an XD-M) and they were all over priced. The 2 tone .40 cal XD-m was listed as $830 and the tag actually said in red lettering "What a Deal!". Come on now. $830?!? I actually talked to the guy and he tried to tell me that the price shown was $40 off what he sells them for. I actually called him a liar and walked off.

The show was a disappointment over all. I did buy a very nice US Navy Veteran ball cap for $4 so it was a complete and total loss. And the main reason was to help a friend look at a multitude of guns as he is trying to decide what his first hand gun will be. I am steering him towards a good revolver for his first gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I find this true at most of the shows I go to now days. You might get a deal in a trade maybe. It was a lot better in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I never go to buy any more I just look.

I look at todays gunshows the same as online gun auctions. Not long ago I could buy a rolling block parts gun pretty reasonably. Everyone intrested in guns knew it wasn't a collector item or a safe shooter. It was only valuable for its parts. Same with many other rifles and gun items.
    Nowdays I see both the shows and the auctions crowded with folks that have money but no idea what the items true value is. Anyone noticed Lyman molds for blackpowder rifles being auctioned off? These are new molds and people are paying twice what the seller bought them new for last month.
    I watched an SKS go at auction for $375. I'm pretty sure they thought it was a full auto military rifle.

The ordinary shooters are being priced out of the market in both these venues.

Michael

I just go to check out the beef jerky, beanie babies, and chinese jewelry.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Gun shows now days are nothing more than flea markets. You might find the rare deal if you are extremely lucky. I mostly see either beat up guns that are still over priced, or parts for guns that I don't have. I see a lot of cheap Chinese made knives, cheap jewelry, and as mentioned before, beef jerky. I saw a Yugo SKS priced at 400 dollars, a stamped Chinese AK-47 for almost 1000 dollars, and a few other overpriced guns at the last gun show I went to. The only thing I left with was another magazine for my M&P15.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I wasted $6 and two hours of my life on Saturday morning looking for Federal HSTs. Not only did I walk out empty handed, but I saw that only three of the usual 6-7 ammunition vendors were present, and the defensive ammo they did have was old - Hi-shok, older Gold Dots, etc.

What a joke... I wound up ordering from Ammunition-to-Go.

Vendetta and i went to the gun show today in Greenville NC. was a decent show with some pretty good prices...picked up 100 rounds of range ammo for $30 and a box of 50 HST's for Vendettas .40 cal for $32.

I missed one here today, heard a gal say her husband was at the gun show when I was at lunch. Really didn't feel bad about missing it, either. My last major gun show purchase was a 100 round drum for my Tommy when Bill Clinton was prez.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

The first gun show I went to was about three years ago. It will probably end up being the last I ever went to... I didn't enjoy it. Especially most of the dealers...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I wasted $6 and two hours of my life on Saturday morning looking for Federal HSTs. Not only did I walk out empty handed, but I saw that only three of the usual 6-7 ammunition vendors were present, and the defensive ammo they did have was old - Hi-shok, older Gold Dots, etc.

What a joke... I wound up ordering from Ammunition-to-Go.
    Many times I've walked out of a show empty handed, and disappointed. Sometimes to the point of almost asking for the admission to be refunded. Drive home swearing to myself not to ever do that again. But I kept going back, and still do to this day. Out of the four shows I made it to this past year, I have come away with some nice accessories, and some good ammo deals, and cash and carry close to home does away with some of the hassle IMO. Touch, feel, and manipulate are sometimes irreplaceable IMO. The last show I went to, I tried out a somewhat new rail attachable laser.....vendor handed it to me since I showed interest. The operation being unknown to me, I tried pushing in the apparent switch from both sides, and ended up breaking the cheap plastic switching device (yes..somewhat embarrassed and apologetic) and then the guy told me not to feel badly as he had schooled the engineers on this weakness, and hustled to put it back in a box while stating that at least the warranty was good. Of course there were a couple of onlookers while this all transpired. Buying something off the internet can be a toss of the coin in this respect, and somewhat of a pain to deal with if warranty repairs or replacement is ever necessary. It's been a long time since I've seen fantastic deals on firearms at gun shows unless they are a new dealer with somewhat new copies, or the SIG CPO vendors. And somehow, I always seem to come across those decently stocked ammo table that somehow appears to have boxes of ammo with sun-faded price labels on them from days gone by (like the 1970's?). LOL! I think I've been doing gun shows since the middle to late 80's. One thing I have found by accident (and this depends on the area, and the vendors') is that if it happens to be a two-day (or weekend) show, if you go after noon on the Sunday...some will drop their prices and willing to sell rather than pack it all up and head back home with it. Sometimes I've felt a hole in my stomach for not being able to make a gun show due to my work schedule, and some of those aforementioned Sundays have panned out rather well for me. With today's economics and current demand, I could see why the really good deals are few and far between. There always seems somebody ready, willing, and able to pay the higher prices. It makes the world go 'round, but it seems to be seldom to our benefit. One can generally gauge the market trends though, and place a general value on something similar one might already have in the stash. Gun shows........love 'em, or hate 'em. It's all in how you look at it.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I find no romance or mystique in the gun show. The most I ever hope to do is save on internet shipping, but apparently I can't even do that because the vendors just keep rolling out the crap. On my walk out, I actually heard one vendor tell a guy that the Springfield XD-M was double action only and had a hammer and 16 shot clip. I died a little bit inside, because this is the caliber person that represents our hobby and industry. I am of the opinion that if you aspire to be a purveyor of goods, you should at least KNOW what the hell you're selling.

One coming up in Richmond this weekend, I may or may not go.
    The local gun store is very small, it's a pawn shop too, so they only display so many weapons, they have much more at the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I just go to check out the beef jerky, beanie babies, and chinese jewelry.

Gee Husker, you forgot the greaseball hamburgers,week old popcorn, the mountain of WW2 military surplus, and overflowing toilets.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    The gun shows that are going around the country are really good ones. If you are looking for jerky, old military clothing, over priced knives, bowling ball wax, over roasted and over salted pecans, 184 different types of meat sticks, green and blue colored beads, shamwow towells, junk made in china tools, model cars and planes, picture frames made of corn stalks, cotton candy, nut and bolts boxes, windshield cleaner, etc etc etc, then gun shows are the place to go.

If you are looking for a place where there are old guys sitting around, bs,ing with other old guys sitting around, with tables filled with old, antique guns that are $500 over what they are really worth, where their better halves said to get rid of some guns, so they bought a table at the gun show and priced them soooooooo high that no one would buy them but they complied with what the little lady wanted, then gun shows are the place to go.

If you are looking for ammo that is 3 times what it is even on gunbroker, then go to the next gun show. That guy that is the only person with any ammo at the whole event is selling ammo at that price because of all the idiots that have gone crazy since Hussein got picked, is doing so because he can. He has a stack of $20's in his hand that would clog a giraffe's neck, but people still spend twice as much as his garbage is worth because everyone is panic buying because they are stupid, in most cases.

And on and on and on and on and on, etc etc etc etc
    Yeah, gun shows are a real good place to go to.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

I stopped going to the gun shows back in the late 90's. I found that most of the patrons there (at least in the Denver area) are Mall Ninja, Special Forces, and Police wannabes.

Lately it has been the same thing, so I have heard. Prices are inflated over normal retail. A local gun shop had 3 AR type guns on his rack for $850. Planned on upping the price to $950 - $1k for the last gun show.

I'll stick with local shops and online for what I need. Shop around, haggle locally.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links