Whats your ammo budget?

Whats your ammo budget?

This is a discussion on Whats your ammo budget? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My primary hobby is cars and they eat up most of my money. For me, guns are not an "enthusiasm". Its more just a habit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats your ammo budget?

My primary hobby is cars and they eat up most of my money. For me, guns are not an "enthusiasm". Its more just a habit that started as a kid. Uncle Sam at least paid the tab for several of those years. Over the past 30 years I have acquired quite a few arms and shoot them all.
    My current budget for ammo averages $200+ a month. I estimate that I shoot somewhere around 12,000 rounds a year. My wife brings this up occasionally, to make whatever her latest point may be.
    The question is, how does this compare to the average shooters?

*What would you say is your average monthly budget for ammunition, for at least the past 5 years or more?*
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

becuse i reload its hard to tell but its a lot ..lol

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    all depends, some months I haven't spent a dime, and others I've spent a fortune. A few months ago I spent like $320 in .45 ammo and went and blasted it all up in 1 weekend.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Right now, I wish I had some ammo. All I have is my mags of SD stuff. I'm in a little tight spot for the next 60 days then it's home free.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I take that back....Taxes will be here in a few weeks. I'll have fun then.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

i don't really know. it's a lot, based on what's in the ammo cabinet right now.

Assistant Administrator
    Varies a lot. I am a packrat and that covers ammo too.

I buy when cash allows and tend to hoard a lot. So - right now - probably 3,000 to 4,000 9mm - some are +P SD stuff. Lots of 7.62x39 most of time. Boxes and boxes of .22 - and enough reload gear to start WWIII! Fair bit of .45acp too.

My shooting is sporadic right now so - hard to lay a budget - and like Bud mentions, if you reload it's hard to judge easily.

Hmmm - well if we go fwd to when IDPA gets going and I am at range more often, let's say I am in to $100/mth minimum. I went to a wholesale place a few days ago and spent $100 plus just getting some primers - I tend to forget that quickly!

I also forget those ''odd'' boxes of WWB I buy on a whim when at Wally World
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

More than some less than others!

I shoot about 3 -5 thousdand rounds per year, an ammo budget is not needed, if I want to shoot then I shoot but never exceed 5 thousand rounds it seems. So some where in the $500 to $750 range.

At 5,000 rounds per year let's say for argument I was able to spend a total time equaled to 6months out of the year shooting, that would equal about 4 full mags being shot every other day of the year! I'm good with that.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I would guess about $60 month.

About $1200 per year. That is split between .45, 9mm, and .38 spl. My wife mainly uses 9, and .38.

I have only been shooting for the last year. I don't see my ammo consumption being less in the future.

This year will be up about $500 because I will be attending Gunsite in Oct.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

for 2005 i spent just over $7000 on ammunition alone. although this went into my cache, 100% of that amount was rotated out of my cache and fired.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    Right now, I wish I had some ammo.
    please dont wait until disaster strikes to stock up. i remember watching folks scramble to buy ammunition during katrina. i maintain roughly 5000 rounds (combined) at my home, and "much more" in my survival cache on my rural property. ive recently increased the size of both my on-hand cache and my survival cache due to recent world events.

1952 - 2006
    Since I also reload a lot, on my Dillon XL650, and my RCBS Rockchucker for the accurate rifle stuff it's hard to say. Suffice to say however that I shoot approx. 5 to 6 hundred 45ACP a month. More if I'm shooting matches.

As far as what is onhand, stockpiled, I have approx. 15,000 22LR HP, 2,000 45ACP, 2,000 9mm, 1,000 .357, 2,000 .223, 1,000 .308, 500 7mm Mag and 500 12 Gauge. And brass, bullets, primers and powder to load many thousands more. (Except for the shotgun. Never reloaded the plastic stuff).
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

20.00 a month.

Monthly it varies a lot due to available time and physical condition...like you say Chris, I've got a screwed back as well and sometimes I can't stand at the line and shoot...not that I couldn't draw and shoot if I had to, mind you!

This past month all I've spent was $50 for 2 boxes of 10mm Black Talon at a gun show...but that was just because I didn't have any and it's getting harder to find.

I can easily shoot $100-$200 in 10mm at one session, so I tend to buy it in bulk.

Last year I'd guess I spent around $3000 for shooting and stockpile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links