Silly dilemma

This is a discussion on Silly dilemma within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay you guys will understand I hope. My gun collection is not large. It's more than most people have but it's not large. But yet ...

Thread: Silly dilemma

Silly dilemma

Okay you guys will understand I hope.

My gun collection is not large. It's more than most people have but it's not large.

But yet I find myself with a few things I haven't shot in a while. I know I should get rid of them, but I always talk myself out of it.

I don't intend to get rid of XXX and never replace it, I just want to condense it all into something better. You know, fewer pieces, greater quality. Honestly I'd rather have a few I'll use all the time that are top notch.

But I don't want to let certain things go for dumb reasons sometimes. "Well that Norinco might be worth another $25 two years from now... never mind the fact I haven't done crap with it in the last 6 months and someone just gave me a better gun to replace it with..."

Ever faced this silly dilemma?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yep, I have. Sometimes I sell things and regret it and sometimes I never give it another thought.

I think I'm getting less sentimental/attached to guns and am able to evaluate their worth to me from a use perspective. Then again...

All the time. Often... I'll do pretty well by selling X, Y, Z and buying one "A" with all the money - so I've upgraded.
    What has hurt is the times I've sold something and then find myself really missing it, even though I may not have used it - was just something I wanted to have. A few months ago, I sold one of those Marlin Cowboy lever guns in 45-70 with the long octagon barrel. In three years, I'd never even fired it... but now I wish I'd kept it.
    The only rule I've made for myself has to do with brand. In other words, I will not ever sell a Colt (for example), since I figure that right or wrong, it will hold its value. Of course, not necessarily true, but at least it makes me feel better, and gives me a few guns that I'm saying are just not for sale.

Been there, sold that. If you have emotional attachment to the gun even though you don't shoot it anymore... Don't sell. I did this with my Garand and regret it now. If I had kept it I would have made a Scout rifle out of it, but didn't know what one was when I sold it. :(

Yeah, even though I got some MAJOR $$ for that AR-15 (green gun) and bought three other guns with the proceeds, I regret that sale. Also the Colt 4x scope that was on top. I also now regret selling the Python. LOL Since they won't be made anymore now.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Every now and then but mostly no i dont have that problem i only sell what dont work for me

Assistant Administrator
    I have reached something near my saturation point - meaning I have most of what I really want - tho always will be others!!

Some get shot very little but are there because I like them - enjoy just possession even. Those that go are ones that either do not work out (not many of those!) or as more recently a trade for something that would be more used and useful, compared with a little used, near safe queen!

I shall only sell some of mine on when I need to liquify assets for whatever reason - which might well mean buying another!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Having only a few currently, I don't have your problem. I have regretted, however, selling or trading the long guns I had as a kid/teenager and would now love to have. Darn kids - they make silly decisions!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Lead Moderator
    Like Bud, I only sell guns that do not work for me or are unreliable.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. A fine man now passed, who was like a grandfather told me, "If you get a good gun you like, don't ever get rid of it." The times I have not gone by his suggestion, I've regretted it. In the last several years, I keep the ones I like whether or not I shoot them very much. There seems to be a general core of handguns I regularly shoot or hunt with and some do double duty as "carry guns" but there are also those that might be used but a few times per year.

Speaking only for myself, I suggest that if you own any firearm you simply like, keep it if at all feasible.

Best.

VIP Member
    It's not a sin to trade a gun you don't like or never use as long as you are trading UP to something you do like...even if you have to add some cash on the trade.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I have not been in the gun world enough years to be at that point. I do have that problem with my photo gear. If you can really call it a problem.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy
    I have not been in the gun world enough years to be at that point. I do have that problem with my photo gear. If you can really call it a problem.
    Camera gear is Expensive I know ..lol Course i havnt updated my camera in a few years but did almost every year there for a while.

im a "collector" (if you ask me, "obsessed" if you ask my wife). i would never sell a weapon just because it hasnt been fired in awhile. ill sell a weapon that i dont like, and ill sell a weapon that isnt reliable, but never due to lack of usage.

Links