FTF?

This is a discussion on FTF? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Saturday I had a round FTF at the range. This has happened once before. Being that I have only fired about 1200 rounds through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTF?

FTF?

Saturday I had a round FTF at the range. This has happened once before. Being that I have only fired about 1200 rounds through the gun I am concerned.

Both FTF's happened with the same WWB batch of ammo.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    OK, when you say FTF are you saying Failure to Feed, or Failure to Fire.

What kind of gun?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Your post is a little vague. Are you asking if you should be concerned?

One or two in 1200 rounds is probably in the range I might expect failures from the WWB, so don't immediately think it is your gun. I get about that with WWB and my Glock. I've never had a failure with carry ammo, but then again I haven't shot 1200 rounds of it either.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I didn't mean to be vague...
    1. Fail to Fire
    2. SIG 239

I'm willing to bet that its the ammo.

How does the primer look on the rounds that didn't fire?

I left it at the range but it looked like a hard strike.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like the standard failure rate of WWB
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Did a 2nd or 3rd strike go bang? I've experienced that a number of times with WWB and UMC. The odd one won't detonate even after several trigger pulls.

It's more than likely just a couple rounds of bad ammo. Did you try doing a second strike on them? But, with 1200 rounds fired and if most of it is WWB (which always seemed a bit dirty to me), you may have some buildup in the firing pin channel and may need to do a detail cleaning.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    ditto pgrass101

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Did a 2nd or 3rd strike go bang? I've experienced that a number of times with WWB and UMC. The odd one won't detonate even after several trigger pulls.
    Same deal here but I only hit it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    It's more than likely just a couple rounds of bad ammo. Did you try doing a second strike on them? But, with 1200 rounds fired and if most of it is WWB (which always seemed a bit dirty to me), you may have some buildup in the firing pin channel and may need to do a detail cleaning.

Hoss
    I have only ever done a field cleaning. Can anyone direct me to info regarding a detailed cleaning?

Maybe someone with more expertise can give you details. I usually cheat. Tear gun down as normal with exception of also remove grip panels (if gun has them), go outside, put on safety glasses, go to work with can of gun scrubber through the long plastic nozzle. Blast out all the nooks & crannies. Re-Oil and re-assemble. Hasn't failed me yet.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Maybe someone with more expertise can give you details. I usually cheat. Tear gun down as normal with exception of also remove grip panels (if gun has them), go outside, put on safety glasses, go to work with can of gun scrubber through the long plastic nozzle. Blast out all the nooks & crannies. Re-Oil and re-assemble. Hasn't failed me yet.

Hoss
    Don't you just love gun scrubber? It's great!!!

use brake cleaner...works just as well and only cost like $2 per can instead of paying for the Gun Scrubber.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links