In need of...

This is a discussion on In need of... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a 1911...collection is lacking. I found a used Taurus 1911 for $450. Its in good shape, decent round count. What's a good price? Is Taurus ...

Thread: In need of...

In need of...

a 1911...collection is lacking. I found a used Taurus 1911 for $450. Its in good shape, decent round count. What's a good price? Is Taurus a decent brand for a 1911? I know nothing about 1911's so any advice would be awesome!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

I've had a couple of Taurus revolvers, but never an auto so I can't really give you any advice on reliability. I will give you my .02 on price. A quick check at Bud's Gun Shop shows several Taurus 1911s with delivered prices starting at $540.00 to a high of $618.00. You don't say if the one you're looking at is blue or stainless but using the lowest priced model from Bud's, I would never let a $90.00 price difference convince me to buy used over new unless that $90.00 stretched my finances so far that it meant no gun purchase at all. While several manufacturers will honor warranties to other than original purchaser, a $90.00 difference may not be worth the hassle.

My personal guidelines are that any used gun I look at has to be priced 1/3 or more lower than what I could buy that gun for new if new purchase price is $600.00 or less. For guns where new purchase price is above $600.00, the used price has to be at least $200.00 less than what I can buy new for. Just a guideline that I impose on myself. The only time I violate these are when I'm looking at a used gun that is no longer in production.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Well, a PT1911 is on my want list for sure. I haven't really checked prices in about a year since I saw these at one of my local shops. It depends on which variation, the blued, the two tone, the stainless, etc...... But they had the all blued ones for a bit over $500 when I looked. They may be more now, not sure. The stainless seemed to be about $100 more, and neither came with night sights. If you want night sights, I've also heard that the dovetail cuts are not exactly spec for the aftermarket sights and you may have problems. Then again, you'll need to solicit some more advice from those who already have the PT1911 and been down that road.

Administrator
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but I can't say the Taurus is a good buy. I'd rather have the solid foundation that a Springfield will give you vs. superficial bells and whistles of the Taurus.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you shop around, particularly online, you should be able to find a new Rock Island Armory Tactical for about the same price.

Sure, they're not Nighthawk or Les Baer, but you get a decent 1911 inexpensively, with famous customer service.

-JT

Agreed. The RIA's are a great value...Remember the Norinco's of the 1980's and 90's? Sme deal. I've heard nothing but really good things about the Taurus though and that does seem like a reasonable deal depnding on real condition etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Renshai View Post
    Agreed. The RIA's are a great value...Remember the Norinco's of the 1980's and 90's? Sme deal. I've heard nothing but really good things about the Taurus though and that does seem like a reasonable deal depnding on real condition etc...
    I had one of those Norinco's for about three years. I built my own custom out of it, but Wilson Combat would also do you a build off these frames so at least the quality of the foundation wasn't that questionable after all for a 1911 model that I bought for around $285 back when. I've handled the RIA's, full size and compact size, and I will say they are priced well in the basic models, but if you want some of the nicer options, the price goes up (naturally) of course. After my Norinco build, I really don't want to go down that road again....not that I couldn't do a good job, just that I don't feel I could dedicate the time and effort again. Plus, quality stainless parts are sort of costly. My opinions of the RIA is that they are a bit rough around the edges so-to-speak (for me), but the Taurus PT1911 seems to me to be my best option in my case for what I want up front. The slide cuts for aftermarket sights do raise some questions. Anyone with more input on this deal?

Links