Supressor info

Supressor info

This is a discussion on Supressor info within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Meeting a Class III dealer to get the wheels rolling for a supressor for my AR. Going with a Gemtech HALO. I was thinking of ...

Thread: Supressor info

Supressor info

Meeting a Class III dealer to get the wheels rolling for a supressor for my AR. Going with a Gemtech HALO.
    I was thinking of also getting one for a pistol. Can anybody give me some advice on what kind of pistol and caliber to use. My local shop has a Sig 239 in a 9mm, and a Sig 220 Combat in a 45. Both with threaded barrels.
    Any thoughs would be helpfull.
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

Senior Moderator
    The 9mm's are alot quieter than the .45's.

The ammo itself makes a lot of difference. If it is supersonic, it'll be loud. If it is subsonic, it'll be much quieter.

Here is the site that covers it all.
    You can spend lots of time there.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/in...f75a1a689c0286
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
    Meeting a Class III dealer to get the wheels rolling for a supressor for my AR. Going with a Gemtech HALO.
    I was thinking of also getting one for a pistol. Can anybody give me some advice on what kind of pistol and caliber to use. My local shop has a Sig 239 in a 9mm, and a Sig 220 Combat in a 45. Both with threaded barrels.
    Any thoughs would be helpfull.
    My shooting buddy has a suppressor for a 22lr, 9mm, and 45acp like another poster said it's not so much the firearm, but the ammo that makes the difference.

your bullet can only go so fast and stay subsonic (~950fps).

Therefore to retain more kinetic energy and momentum so that it will fly farther, you will need to increase the mass of the bullet you're shooting downrange.

Suppressors depending on setup also may lose power to work the action, the 45 my buddy shoots will not have the power to move the slide back, therefore making it a one shot gun. therefore in my opinion 9mm and 22lr are the way to go from my limited experience.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    My shooting buddy has a suppressor for a 22lr, 9mm, and 45acp like another poster said it's not so much the firearm, but the ammo that makes the difference.

Therefore to retain more kinetic energy and momentum so that it will fly farther, you will need to increase the mass of the bullet you're shooting downrange.

Suppressors depending on setup also may lose power to work the action, the 45 my buddy shoots will not have the power to move the slide back, therefore making it a one shot gun. therefore in my opinion 9mm and 22lr are the way to go from my limited experience.
    Good points.

There should be reduced power springs available for your buddies .45 unless it's unusual, like my XD45's trapped recoil spring design.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post

.45 suppressors as well as most others require a "booster" or what is somtimes referred to as a "Neilson" device. Its simply a booster shaft with the threading and a large K power spring to allow the weapon to cycle reliably. Most suppressors have them, if they don't I wouldn't even bother purchasing it.

Some actions, like a Beretta 92, do not necessarily require the "booster" due to the delayed locking block and not a Browning linkless action. Most .22Lr's do not require them due to the light weight of the suppressor.

I would personally look at Advanced Armament or Surefire with the "QD" mounting system on the hider and not a threaded mount on the AR15.

I have yet to hear or witness a Gemtech suppressor outperform AAC or Surefire or SWR mfg.

As for barrels, you can purchase just about any barrel on an aftermarket basis that is threaded to the appropriate thread pitch but it's much easier and cost effective if the weapon comes with a threaded barrel already outfitted for suppressed shooting.

I recently purchased a Bar Stow 1911 threaded barrel and had it fitted a Springfield G.I. 1911.

Just my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    .45 suppressors as well as most others require a "booster" or what is somtimes referred to as a "Neilson" device. Its simply a booster shaft with the threading and a large K power spring to allow the weapon to cycle reliably. Most suppressors have them, if they don't I wouldn't even bother purchasing it.

I didn't know about that... very slick. Even an old dog can learn something new. Thanks!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I didn't know about that... very slick. Even an old dog can learn something new. Thanks!
    Here's a picture of the Knights "booster" on their .45 ACP suppressor.

H&K USP-T Suppressor, 45 Caliber Suppressor, Knight's Armament Suppressors

It was the only that I could find in short notice.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I just had a similar discussion with my class III FFL the other day when ordering my XDm. He stated (and showed me) how well the .22 and .45 suppressors worked. The .22 sounded like a CO2 powered pellet gun and the .45 was barely louder than that. Both were actually comfortable to shoot outdoors without hearing protection. The AAS and YHM suppressors for .223/5.56 that he showed me were also impressive, but I would still prefer to use hearing protection with them. I will probably wind up with a YHM for my AR-15, as the price/performance ratio seems to be as good as it gets. I mostly want to suppress the AR because it will be a HD gun. The last thing I want to do is touch off a few 5.56 rounds in a small room with no hearing protection... but if I have to, I want to minimize the damage.

Actually, the speed of sound at sea level is roughly 1120 fps (767mph). So anything less than that would be good.

I have one from Yankee Hill Machine for my P22. You can tell a huge difference between SuperX High Velocity (1260 fps) and CCI Green Tag (1080 fps, subsonic for better accuracy.

thanks for all the good info.
    Just got back from meeting with my Class III dealer at the range. We tried out the Gemtech HALO on his AR. It was a little louder then I expected, but I felt comfortable shooting without ear protection. The range is also indoor.
    The only thing I didn't expect is the face full of gas after every shot. The HALO mounts over the flash supressor, a very nice feature.
    I also got to shoot a Walther P22 with a supressor, wow now that is quiet.
    So now the wait starts, he said about 3 months, this is just like the wait for my CCW.
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

Here's a picture of the Knights "booster" on their .45 ACP suppressor.

H&K USP-T Suppressor, 45 Caliber Suppressor, Knight's Armament Suppressors

It was the only that I could find in short notice.
    I'm looking into getting one for my .45. KAC and Brugger & Thomet have the best reviews. Superior dry performance. Too bad they're almost twice the cost of SWR and AAC.
    HK45c V1

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    I'm looking into getting one for my .45. KAC and Brugger & Thomet have the best reviews. Superior dry performance. Too bad they're almost twice the cost of SWR and AAC.
    Knights are good kit, but AAC and SWR are just as good for half the price. At least in my professional opinion.

You can't go wrong with Knights, but others are much more inexpensivse and just as quite and durable.

AAC and SWR are my favorites in the . 45 ACP series.

Just my .02

Senior Moderator
    Actually, the speed of sound at sea level is roughly 1120 fps (767mph). So anything less than that would be good.
    Rule of thumb is to load around 1050 FPS.
    This gives the gun a bit of buffer to stay subsonic.

I loaded right at the edge once for my Whisper. After the 4th shot, due to the gun warming up and heating the cartridge it was going supersonic.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Knights are good kit, but AAC and SWR are just as good for half the price. At least in my professional opinion.

You can't go wrong with Knights, but others are much more inexpensivse and just as quite and durable.

AAC and SWR are my favorites in the . 45 ACP series.

Just my .02
    Thanks for the input. I fondled an HK USPc with a Knights can at a local Class III dealer. Thing is HEAVY. For comparison, I picked up a Gemtech Blackside. Felt like a feather in comparison. I'd never get the latter, but was just amazed at the heft of the KAC.

Any comment on the dry performance of AAC and SWR?
    HK45c V1

Links