Please help... Need Info on S&W M&P Revolver

This is a discussion on Please help... Need Info on S&W M&P Revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found A pistol I'm considering purchasing. From what I can tell it's a Smith & Wesson M&P 5-screw ( four screw in frame, one ...

Thread: Please help... Need Info on S&W M&P Revolver

Please help... Need Info on S&W M&P Revolver

I found A pistol I'm considering purchasing. From what I can tell it's a Smith & Wesson M&P 5-screw ( four screw in frame, one in front of trigger guard). Smith&Wesson is embossed on the right side of the frame.

The gun is solid nickel plated with a snub nosed - about 2" I'd say- barrel. The barrel slims down immediately in front of the frame. The front sight is a milled-in half round configuration. Rifling in the barrel looks clean with no pits.

The cylinder looks excellent on the outside - no discernible flaws in the plating. The chambers look very clean overall, however, two of the chambers have what I'd call "light staining" . No pits in them, just two spots of slight discoloration. The numbers 948XXX ( serial # -? , I left off the last 3 #'s) are stamped in the rear face of the cylinder. There is a light, brass sort of colored, staining on the front face of the cylinder.

When the cylinder is opened, the numbers C4 (4 is smaller and slightly above the C) and below it : 165 51 can be seen on the front inside of the frame.

The grips a black rubber ( obviously not original) and cover the bottom of the grip frame ( hence, I could not check for a serial # there).

There's about .015 of play in either direction on the cylinder (radially) while the gun is cocked and about .020 of play back and forth. However, the trigger pull and hammer stroke are glass smooth. Much smoother in fact than my father's model 60 .

The gun is to be sold at auction next week. The auction house is a family friend's and mostly deals in nick-nacks, but on occasion gets a firearm in to sell. The owner gave me a sort of preview since he knows I'm into guns.

My questions are:

Does anyone know the approximate date of production of this ? (early '40's maybe ??)

Did S&W produce this in factory nickel ? (Is it likely replated - which I doubt because of the clearly visible S&W logo on the side).

What is the value of the gun ? In other words, what should I be willing to pay for this ?

Is the snub version rare ? I didn't find much info on them online.

Is the cylinder play normal or should I be concerned ?

Is this a pistol that deserves my attention and I should consider adding to my collection ( and pass down to the kids, so to speak)?

Thank you so much. I appreciate all your help.
    Last edited by Munsterman; January 10th, 2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

Just a thought have you tried - The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com ?
    The M&P 5 is a new one on me.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

This is a revolver that S&W began production of in 1899. It's the original M&P, as it was designed for military and police use. It's the modern auto pistols namesake.

1943 - 2009
    When the cylinder is opened, the numbers C4 (4 is smaller and slightly above the C) and below it : 165 51 can be seen on the front inside of the frame.
    That should be the serial number. It indicates the revolver was made between 1957 and 1959.

However, in the same area as the SN, it should be marked Mod 10. S&W began stamping model numbers on their revolvers in 1957.

Model 10s were produced in nickle finish.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    ...That should be the serial number. It indicates the revolver was made between 1957 and 1959.

I did some research and found that the serial numbers were only put there after serial # 1,000,000 . Then the serial numbers started over at "1" with a letter in front of them ... either a"V" or an "S". Those stampings appear to be "assembly numbers" . I believe the number on the face of the cylinder (948XXX) to be the serial number.

This would put it some time prior to 1942. Further, I don't believe the late "50's revolvers were still using the half moon, milled in sight.

The 2-inch Military & Police revolver continued to use a tapered barrel with a half-moon front sight at least until the mid 1950s.

Must have Packmyrs on it now. Do you know if it is round butt or square butt? If it had a C prefix before the serial number with that sequence of numbers it'd be a later 60s gun with a thicker barrel and ramp front sight. If it has an S prefix before the serial number on the butt than it is an early post WWII gun. No letter prefix indicates a production date in early WWII.

Clear markings are a good sign that the nickel finish is factory original. Is the hammer and trigger nickel plated as well?

The 2-inch M&Ps are somewhat uncommon and are beginning to bring a premium. The post WWII "transition" models are a little more valuable than the later 40s to mid 50s M&P snubs. Any original 2-inch M&P made before or during WWII would be the most valuable of the M&P snubs.

They're great shooters by the way. Sounds reasonably tight from your description.

One thing to watch for is a cut down barrel or a barrel that has been changed out. The flat bottom of the barrel should have a matching serial number stamped on it. This number would be concealed by the ejector rod when the cylinder is closed.

Wish you could post a photo or two.

It's a bit of a "pig in a poke" but if it checked out and you could buy it right you'd have a revolver that is both practical and collectible.

Here's my blue, square butt, 2-inch M&P from 1952. The phone and the house they are in are from the same years as well.

Thanks bmcgilvray ! I'm going to take a second look at it tonight. I'll see if I'm allowed to remove the grips and take some pics. If I can, I'll post the pics here tonight about 7-8:00 pm est . Thanks again.

Links