Anyone ever order from Sportsman Guide?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever order from Sportsman Guide? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wholly Crap! That just plain sucks! What is their E-mail address? Never mind, I'll just call them !...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever order from Sportsman Guide?

Wholly Crap! That just plain sucks!
    What is their E-mail address? Never mind, I'll just call them !

2. Remove Ads

I just fired off an email to them myself - I will NOT deal with them, and let them know that.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Wow, I'm glad I've never order from them. I just did a general name search for my area as well. Lots of orders and tracking info out there. Not good. What idiot came up with that idea?

I bet the attorneys out there are drooling.

Ive ordered with them before, my dad orders quite often, but neither of us have ordered in awhile and dont show up on there order site (thank god)....

.... did anyone receive a response from them they can share or what did they say when you called?!

My response from the website.

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your email.

I apologize for the frustration caused by our online order status. We had made a change to our order status page due to numerous complaints that the older function was too difficult to operate. Since that time we have received a high volume of feedback, compliments and complaints, regarding the ease of visibility. The order status page is set up to locate by last name and zip code but if there is more than one in that area it will prompt for the matching billing address as well. We would like to think that our customers would not be randomly picking various names and zip codes to view other customers orders, but we can understand apprehension caused by the ability to do so.

At this time we do not have plans to change the status lookup, however all complaints we receive regarding this are being passed on to the corporate level for consideration as we have come into a high volume as of late. Please be assured that while we are unable to change it at this time, it is something that customer service is following through on. All order information automatically expires 90 days after any order activity.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Thanks for shopping the Guide!

Brett Holik
    Customer Service

My response to the email

"At this time we do not have plans to change the status lookup,"

Enough said, at this time I plan to never do business through your company. I have a feeling you will be losing far more customers than you realize due to the explosion of outrage this has caused all over the internet. If I were you I would immediately disable your order status page. But hey, it's your company at stake not mine, so do what you want.

What the crap?!? I mean, do they really think people will continue to order from them if they are giving out personal info?

I have order from them in the past and think they are
    one of the best on the net , but after seeing that I will
    not be order anything else until they fix that problem.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

That's just a wrong response from them. They could shut that page down in five seconds. Somebody there just won't make a decision.

DC Founder
    I have been using Sportsman's Guide for years and always been happy with them. They have a large inventory, great prices and they ship on time, every time. I won't say I'll never be back, but I won't until they remove this functionality from their website. Email is being sent....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I got the identical response that j21blackjack did and sent them a similar reply.

I will NEVER order from them again, the few bucks I save isn't worth it and they also seem to backorder items that are listed as being in stock.

I got the EXACT RESPONSE!

EDIT! Looks like now they are requiring a street address which is a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by alelks View Post

EDIT! Looks like now they are requiring a street address which is a step in the right direction.
    That is a little better, but it's still BS. Every other place I've ever ordered from required a customer ID name or email address and a password. I don't see why they can't do the same.

I agree and it can be MUCH better but at least it's a bandaid right now. I'm sure they have received a ton of emails in the last few days. Hopefully they will take the next step.

I refuse to order anything from them again until they change it. There is no reason why they can't take that page offline until they make it less promiscuous with personal data.

This quote kills me:
    "We would like to think that our customers would not be randomly picking various names and zip codes to view other customers orders, but we can understand apprehension caused by the ability to do so. "
    Security through obscurity is no way to treat your customers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    This quote kills me:
    "We would like to think that our customers would not be randomly picking various names and zip codes to view other customers orders, but we can understand apprehension caused by the ability to do so. "
    Security through obscurity is no way to treat your customers!
    Yep, that's a hell of a way to run a website, they might as well say, "we conduct our business based upon that totally unfounded assumption that internet users are all law abiding citizens."

The lack of concern in their response pissed me off as much as the original problem.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I got the same email. I responded and received another reply that the user must now key in a street address to see the page. I responded again requesting they require an order number or customer number or some other unique identifier. I stated anyone could drive down a street, write down names and addresses and surf until their fingers bled. We'll see if I get another response.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links