Shipping my collection

This is a discussion on Shipping my collection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I won't go into the full details here, because it would take way too long. Basically, I need to get my private firearm collection from ...

Thread: Shipping my collection

Question Shipping my collection

I won't go into the full details here, because it would take way too long. Basically, I need to get my private firearm collection from PA to TX.

I will be flying, so I can take them as checked luggage. I could also ship them, but that would require the use of an FFL dealer at the receiving end, wouldn't it?

At this point I'm thinking it would be cheapest to just take them as checked luggage. But I'm trying to do some research to make sure things go as smooth as possible. If anybody has any hints on ways to transport them easier it would be much appreciated.

TIA,
    p8triot

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum! Yes, I think baggage would be cheaper, but you'll be limited on ammo and IIRC the number of firearms. Check the TSA and airline sites. Good luck and be careful!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

IIRC, you can ship firearms to yourself without going through an FFL.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

hmm... Any documentation or reference points on that, deadeye? (Or anyone else.)

Thanks!

I will see if I can find it. I remember reading it on the ATF's website. It also said you could ship directly to an individual in another state as long a you were just loaning them the gun or renting it to them. If ownership is changing, you have to go through an FFL.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I read it in this sticky. It is about the third or forth question down in the OP. Hope this helps.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...pping+firearms
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

My first thought was how many are we talking about? 1 or 2 would be easy to take in checked baggage. 10-15 on the other hand...
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Yes, there are several firearms involved. But also several of us flying.

Right now it looks like we're gonna go ahead and try checking them on the plane. That way we're only separated for a few hours, instead of a few days. :-) Hopefully the airline doesn't do too much damage.

VIP Member
    Before you decide on taking them as checked baggage, check the airlines and see how many bags you can have before paying additional fee's as well as baggage weight restrictions. It could end up costing more than shipping to a FFL.

Yes, we checked TSA reg.'s and airline rules on what's required for packaging them, as well as what the limits and fees are for the extra baggage. Even with airlines getting a little ridiculous on their extra baggage fees, it looks cheaper than shipping costs.. without even figuring in FFL fees.

(Long guns can be kind of heavy/bulky. But they're definitely worth it. :-)

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

It is possible. When we was moving from Turkey to our new assignment in Alaska, I stopped by my folks house and picked all my Contenders. I worked out great since we were allowed excess baggage, I didn't have to pay. I just told them at the ticket counter when checking in what I had.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    What about insuring against loss? Does checked baggage offer much, if any, protection? Also, there is the all-eggs-in-one-basket factor; perhaps not all should go in the same bag or package, or even by the same route. If I have several, I would try to split them up a bit. I don't keep all of my weapons stored together, in order to lessen the possibility of one event causing total loss of all, so I would not want to ship them all together, either.

Good points, Rexster. I don't know about insurance in regards to luggage on airlines.

They were actually in 3 separate cases, but all on the same airplane. So kind of all in one basket, kind of not. :-) I have definitely decided I'm not a big fan of the "gun cases" sold in most sporting goods stores, though. If I was going to do this kind of thing regularly, I would want to invest in something like a Pelican or Storm case... something way more durable that I can put my own lock on.

Fortunately, everything made it safely... in spite of the ticket agents/TSA folks forgetting some of the steps until we asked questions. Now the firearms are in the good ol' Rep. of Tx. and I'm a lot happier. Nothing personal against people that live up yonder in Yankee country, but I'm a little bit biased in favor of my home state. :-)

Thanks again everybody!

BATFE regulations do, indeed, allow you to ship any gun that you legally own, from yourself at any address, to yourself at any address, as long as it is to accomplish a legal purpose, without any FFL.
    (Further, the executor of a will can legally ship any gun legally owned by the deceased to the heir to which that gun has been legally bequeathed, also without an FFL.)
    The reference is in the BATFE Rule Book under: Title 27, Chapter II., Part 478, Section 478.38 (Transportation of Firearms).
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Links