Mini-14 .22 conversion

This is a discussion on Mini-14 .22 conversion within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have any experience with any of the mini-14 conversion kits? Friend of mine just got a .22 conversion for his AR and it was ...

Thread: Mini-14 .22 conversion

Mini-14 .22 conversion

Anyone have any experience with any of the mini-14 conversion kits? Friend of mine just got a .22 conversion for his AR and it was fun to shoot and damn cheap! i've googled it a little but haven't really found anything from anyone actually having one and reviewing it just that it works fine no problems. nothing on installs or how easy it is to mess up stuff like that. yes a lot of you are ar fans and maybe should have gotten an ar but my dad and i are after all Ruger fans and he bought the rifle i'm just trying to work out how i can shoot it cheaply until my friends and i get around to reloading .223. any help or knowledge you can pass on to my unknowing self will be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    uuuhhhh.... a 10/22 maybe?

does Ruger make a .22 lr conversion barrel for the Mini14?

i didn't see one on the website

To the best of my knowledge they don't make conversion kits for a mini14 the 10/22 would be along the same design.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Jonathan Ciener makes a 22lr converion for the mini-14

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post

Link?

THANKS, jeephipwr
    I'm gonna sent 'em some greenbacks!

Wow I never knew there were so many I gotta tell my buddy about the full auto m16 conversion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    yeah found that one but was hoping someone had one of the conversion kits and could give a 1st hand account of them in use :-D so far that seems to be the most likely canidate for my $$ when i actually get some that is

Sorry...they ain't gettin' no money from me....found the following remarks on another forum.....

Ceiner 22 conversion kits

Beware of Ceiner conversion kits, worst customer service I have ever experienced. Let me correct that, there is no customer service. You can not email them and if you phone the anwering machine says not to leave a message as the call will not be returned.

Sorry you didn't know - John Ciener is generally regarded as a pretentious jerk and the kits are far from reliable. That said, if its a reliability problem you have they can be made to run very well, but you'll have to take matters into your own hands. Polish everything on the kit. Every moving part. Do so until its smooth as a baby's bottom. If its for an AR15 I would also recommend trying to get a dedicated .22 barrel by Rick Kuehl which eliminates the need for the problematic chamber adapter that comes on the ciener kit.

Kuehl Precision Firearms

Thanks guys.

Solved problem the old fashion way, sold it to someone that was aware of the problem and wanted to spend the time and effort trying to get it to work. Lexter you are correct, have talked to the man personally. Shaggy it was a 1911.

Yep, been on the phone with Mr. Ceiner, trying to order an AR .22 conversion kit. Needless to say I ordered the same from Bushmaster some tome ago and due to its popularity it's on backorder. My Mom, bless her sould would say Mr. Ceiner must have been raised on a sour pickle !!!

Bad experiences here to with one for a Ruger Mini 14.
    Bad parts, poor functionality. No customer service.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have long thought about one of those Ciener Mini-14 conversions, and possibly even buying an older and therefore somewhat cheaper Mini just to act as a host for it. Of course, with the recent panic buying, there is now no such thing as a cheap used Minis available locally, just expensive new ones.

The reason I prefer an actual Mini with the conversion, instead of the 10/22, is because the operational controls, particularly the safety, differ. I want as much commonality as possible. The Mini-14, of course, shares operational control with the larger Garand family of rifles, a major reason I have a Mini in the first place.

I used a Ciener conversion on a 1911 quite a bit for several years, when I used 1911s as duty weapons, and it performed well. I still use an S&W K-frame .22 sixgun to practice my DA trigger stroke in live fire, because I use .357 revolvers as backup and occasional carry, and use SIGs with DAK triggers for duty and carry. The .22 LR understudy gun is a very valid training concept.

Links