Walthers P22

This is a discussion on Walthers P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two of them. Bought one for the wife. I started to mod it and she wanted her stocker back, so I bought another ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walthers P22

I have two of them.

Bought one for the wife. I started to mod it and she wanted her stocker back, so I bought another one. They are both great.

Mine is the 5" with the fake compensator/weight, an AVI-special F&B, a bridge with a Walther Red Dot Sight and a YHM Mite suppressor.

Honestly, the 3" is just as accurate as the 5", mine just looks cooler and is a lot quieter.

Had a minor problem with the 5" before I modded it, sometimes after firing it, the hammer would drop back to half-cock instead of staying at full-cock. Sent it back to S&W/Walther, it was fixed in a week and I got it back with a free mag.

Since then, and another 3-4000 rounds/ea, no problems with either of them.

Complaints:
    1) 10 round mag!!!
    2) Sort of picky on ammo, but it really likes Federal Bulk packs (Use Win SuperX for better accuracy). I have a vendetta against Remington rimfire, so I dont know. Federal, Winchester and CCI are what I keep, they are good in everything.
    3) Safety for previously listed reasons. I honestly just don't use mine.

Myth-Busters:
    1) It is NOT hard to take-down, clean and reassemble. Yes, it is DIFFERENT, but not hard by any means.
    2) The recoil spring is NOT too stiff, you just have bad form and/or are limp wristing. You might have to change ammo, but more than likely, its you.

This gun is GREAT for training. I have introduced more people to hand-gunning with this pistol than with any other.

My other favorite rimfire pistols are my High-Standard .22lr and my Ruger 10/22 Charger.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I had a Walther P22. Sold it. Total POS and flimsy to boot! But it does "feel good" to hold. The 5" "target model" was the one I had and it was tough to field strip and had a crummy trigger. It did look like some kind of wicked cool 007 gun. Trust me, appearances are deceiving. It's not. Waste of money. Get a Ruger or a Browning Buckmark. Either of those with a Bull Barrel is way better.
    Second that. While "individual experiences may vary," for the money, the parts are substandard, vis-a-vis Ruger and Browning, which are in the same price bracket.

I have one and like it a lot. Both my wife and daughter have trouble with it with el-cheapo ammunition, I do not which suggests that it is very picky about limp-wristing. With CCI mini-mags or stingers, no one has a problem with it. Fairly accurate and it's light weight pretty much disappears in your pocket if you're looking for a 22 to carry while fishing or hiking. If you're looking for primarily a range/target gun, the Rugers are hard to beat.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I like mine, but I wouldn't trust it as a primary ccw weapon. It seems to eat just about everything that I feed it. When using the supressor I feed it cci cb longs(subsonic) and it works great. It functions flawless with the minimags. I got mine NIB almost 2 years ago now.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    Have one, wish I didn't. It's the best "feeling" pistol in my hands, and as a plus, it just looks cooool.

The down side-----Picky on ammo, some FTFeed, the roll pin behind the safety moves and won't allow the safety to move back in the up position.

Final answer--it's more of a novelty gun than a Ruger or Browning.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I like mine! It has functioned just as well as my Ruger 22/45. I have over 2500 rounds thru it over the last 10 months. NO FAILURES! Just keep it clean and remember it is a .22 rimfire.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I wouldn't trust it as a primary ccw weapon.

nor the .22lr for that matter.

I'm considering purchasing a Walther P22 to learn how to shoot with. It seems like a good, cheap, way to learn how to shoot and get comfortable with the process.

If you get one do not use the internal locking syst.....

Just throw the key away when you open it for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Marshalus View Post
    I'm considering purchasing a Walther P22 to learn how to shoot with. It seems like a good, cheap, way to learn how to shoot and get comfortable with the process.
    In that context, what you should decide is whether it is a "disposable" entry-level gun (ala, Red Ryder with more "oomph!"), or if you want something that will last well into the next generation. If it is significantly cheaper than a Ruger MkII/III, it may suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    In that context, what you should decide is whether it is a "disposable" entry-level gun (ala, Red Ryder with more "oomph!"), or if you want something that will last well into the next generation. If it is significantly cheaper than a Ruger MkII/III, it may suit your needs.
    Everyplace I've ever been the difference in price between the Walther P22 and the Ruger MkIII is about ten bucks.

The Ruger is a far more accurate gun, it's better made and Volquartsen has some great parts for it.

Alot of people find the P22 to small to grip, pinky finger has nothing to grip onto (even with mag extension).

Ive used one and personally it feels to much like a toy, its just to small to practically learn \ develop proper grip technique.

If youre after a dedicated .22 go for the Ruger 22, S&W 22A or a S&W Model 41 if you can find a good one second hand.

If youre only shooting .22 in anticipation to going to a 9mm or larger. Then get the larger gun you want and purchase a .22 conversion kit for it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I have both and if the difference is only $10 [or even $50 for that matter] by all means, get the Ruger and don't look back.
    P22 not even in the same league as the Ruger in terms of accuracy.

VIP Member
    I have one with both long and short barrels....works well; reliable. However I have accidentally started disassembling the gun more than once on the range.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links