Beretta 92F shoots low-right

This is a discussion on Beretta 92F shoots low-right within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gents, I just acquired a Beretta 92F from my dad who said he never could shoot straight with it. Well I'll be darned, it really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92F shoots low-right

Beretta 92F shoots low-right

Gents,

I just acquired a Beretta 92F from my dad who said he never could shoot straight with it. Well I'll be darned, it really does shoot low-right. The sights are not adjustable, and the front sight is part of the slide, but the rear sight looks like it could be replaced.

Should I attempt to replace the rear sight with an adjustable unit and zero it in, or is the low-right shooting of the gun symptomatic of something else that can/should be fixed first?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've similar issues with a clone, one just has to learn how to pull that specific trigger and maybe use an offset aim point.

I'm actually low and slightly left with my clone. lol I think practice with the trigger should solve it for me.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Talked to a Marine awhile ago about different handguns, I mentioned that I didn't think the 92 was a very good idea and he basically said his combat experience was that the sights lose alignment very quickly and are pretty useless.

I'd probably sell it and buy something else
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Have you shot it off bags/in a rest, or just off-hand?

If you try it on a pistol rest, and it is on target, work on your trigger pull and keeping your grip constant. Dry-firing is your new best friend, no it wont hurt your gun.
    If off the bench, it is still low, try and adjust you point-of-aim to correct the elevation. If it is still right, you might have to adjust the rear sight. It can be drifted back and forth a little in the channel, call a gunsmith.

Good luck

Shooting low/left with a new gun is common!

There are a couple of potential causes--the most common being improper placement of the trigger finger on the trigger. Try adding a little finger to it first, and if that doesn't solve it, take a little away. Your finger needs to be in a place on the trigger where it does not rub the frame or the trigger guard while you press.

Another potential (in slow fire) is your grip itself. If you are squeezing your whole hand (like a fist) it will impair your trigger control. What you get in that case is A) a shaky trigger press and B) a tendency to "milk" the grip. Your whole hand squeezes down as the trigger is pressed.

Instead ease up on the tension that your pinky is providing and let the middle two fingers do 90% of the work. Those two cures solve 99% of the "low/left" issues with the shooters I have worked with (that aren't flinching).

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Thanks Dan

Administrator
    Thats great Dan, but he is shooting low right.

Still, its very common. Are you left handed?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm right-handed, and with my other handguns, I fight shooting low only but am conscious of it and can most often correct it. This Beretta is low-right.

Would it help to mention that, though the gun is an early 90's pre-ban model, it probably doesn't have 300 rounds through it yet. My dad almost never shot it and I've only put 200 rounds through it at best.

<D'oh!>
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maximumrob View Post
    I'm right-handed, and with my other handguns, I fight shooting low only but am conscious of it and can most often correct it. This Beretta is low-right.

Would it help to mention that, though the gun is an early 90's pre-ban model, it probably doesn't have 300 rounds through it yet. My dad almost never shot it and I've only put 200 rounds through it at best.
    What other pistols do you regularly shoot?

To be 100% honest, I doubt its the gun, unless the sights have been messed with. If it was just to the right but not low, I'd be a little more inclined to blame the gun.
    Don't get me wrong, it could be the gun, but based on statistics, its not. Thats why I'm asking questions, to use the process of elimination.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not my favorite pistol as I see no use for it anymore, but I am sure it isn't the gun as mine is still accurate and sight has yet to be adjusted after 1000+ rounds through it.

If you shoot polymer guns primarily, my guess is that you are just not used to the weight of the pistol. Obviously, you won't know until you shoot it on a stand/bag.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Beretta makes a nice weapon.

Just because the sights are off is really no need to sell or bash the pistol - this happens to all brands - misaligned sights is not brand specific - Don't give up on a great pistol...

Want a quick answer..... have 2 other people who are good marksmen shoot it as well and see if they have the same result.

Want a quick answer..... have 2 other people who are good marksmen shoot it as well and see if they have the same result.
    Agree both My PT99 and Para LDA, I have given to more experienced competition \ target shooters and I almost fell over when they proved how accurate the guns were.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links