Full-auto weapons

Full-auto weapons

This is a discussion on Full-auto weapons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do I need to do for it to be legal for me to own one? Is it legal for civvies to use automatic weapons ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full-auto weapons

Full-auto weapons

What do I need to do for it to be legal for me to own one? Is it legal for civvies to use automatic weapons in an SD situation? Just wondering and I couldn't find anything on google.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to legally own grenades?

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    You have to get a class 3 license. Obtaining it varies from state to state.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Plus ther are limited class 3 full auto weapons available. Only full auto weapons already registered may be sold, they are very expensive. As for gernades I don't believe civilians can own them if they are not deactivated. You should check the BATF web sight for more info.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/index.htm

if you dont mind me asking, why would you need grenades?
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

VIP Member
    As far as Federal Regulations for owning automatic weapons you may want to start here, OIG Evaluation and Inspections Report I-2007-006 then you will also have to comply with state and local regulations. Now as far as grenades, inert ones are no problem but when it comes to live ones I have no idea.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Unless you have a license to handle explosives you can't even assemble an explosive device without breaking the law,and you get caught with a live grenade and the government will be feeding and housing you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As far as using a FA weapon in self defense they will take it for evidence,and if it goes to a jury trial and the prosecutor is after blood he will make it sound like you shot him with a weapon that can fire 10+ shots a second and you intended to cut that poor boy in half with that weapon.If you wanta play with FA weapons and grenades join the army or marines
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    If you want to handle grenades, join the Army. They'll let you play with them in about week 3 or 4 of basic training. Other than that, stick with fire crackers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here, you can make your own decision. He posted a link to a Youtube thing of his.
    YouTube - A quick look at Gun Control
    Last edited by CopperKnight; January 12th, 2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: edited out deleted quote
    Certified Glock Armorer

I think each individual grenade must be registered as a destructive device, with a Form 4, $200 tax, etc. assuming they are even legal in your state. Kind of expensive, but it would probably be fun to toss into a car out in the desert once or twice.

JOBRELATEDSTUFF.COM :: Forums :: Destructive Devices

^Might be able to answer your questions better^

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasal View Post
    I think each individual grenade must be registered as a destructive device, with a Form 4, $200 tax, etc. assuming they are even legal in your state. Kind of expensive, but it would probably be fun to toss into a car out in the desert once or twice.

JOBRELATEDSTUFF.COM :: Forums :: Destructive Devices

^Might be able to answer your questions better^
    Yes, this was also my understanding.

If you do have full auto weapons, you'd better not use them in just any ordinary defensive situation. It had better be the freaking end of the world or 20 gang members storming your house paramilitary-style. But in that case, sure, I guess. You just have to be really careful, because a lot of people out there believe that those type of weapons were created by Satan himself...even gun people.

And if you do plan to use automatic weapons in a defensive situation, remember that they are no substitute for tactics! Personally I'd much rather have a good position and a semi-auto than be out in the open with a full auto. Don't charge out guns-blazing because you feel your gun is so badass the bad guys will just lay down and die.

Also, check your state laws. Some states do not allow full auto at all, some states have no restrictions, some (like mine) require registration, and still others allow them but do not let you use them in self-defense.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

In all seriousness, I'd suggest that you hire a lawyer with knowledge of firearms laws in you state to make sure you do everything correctly. If you can afford a full auto weapon, you can afford the lawyer.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    4 posts in this thread have been deleted.

Please keep your posts confined to the OP's question
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    As others have mentioned, possession of class III firearms is regulated by the ATF as well as your state and local government. You could also stand to read this article about a gun shop owner that used multiple class III guns to stop a gang robbery of his shop.

The Beckwith Incident

Hey, thanks for all the responses. I can't afford full-auto weapons, but a guy can dream, right? I'd just want them to have fun shooting stuff up, same for grenades, but I was wondering if I ever found myself in a situation where I was cut off from all other means of self-defense if I could get in trouble for using them.

As for joining the military, I was going to, but I figured I would fit in better in Law Enforcement (I'm currently training for my local department's PFT.) I have nothing but respect for those who have served and are currently serving, but I'm more Andy Griffith than Rambo J/K

Also, the above story states that Beckwith "...[was] not a Class III weapons dealer, [but] was federally licensed to possess such arms for his own use." So is a class III license for dealers or regular folks, or both?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links