What is so top secret about your serial number?

This is a discussion on What is so top secret about your serial number? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah, I just received some weapons "handed down" from family. He took pictures and wrote down the serial numbers - not exactly sure why. Maybe ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is so top secret about your serial number?

Yeah, I just received some weapons "handed down" from family. He took pictures and wrote down the serial numbers - not exactly sure why. Maybe a little of CYA. However, he isn't putting it on the internet, nor will I.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

2. Remove Ads

The XXX serial numbers are for Adult only weapons.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Attached Images

GUNS??? What guns? I don't own any such thing
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Also, the reason some people blur their license plates is that sometimes, people put a lot of money in their cars in various ways, and don't want their car targeted for theft (this is not an uncommon occurrence on vehicle forums where people live in reasonable distance of one another).

Or sometimes, its not even their car (such as detailers detailing a high end vehicle) and so they wish to respect the owner's privacy.

The following sums it up!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Not gonna open up the safe, but the Kahr that I'm carrying right now is ACO315. My Seecamp is 048779.

I'll let you know if the black helicopters show up!
    You want to PM me the serial number and model of the safe?

Zsnake;
    " just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean that "they" aren't out to get me!"

Correct; even paranoids have enemies.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

This is simple, it is my private property and I plan to keep it private.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    You want to PM me the serial number and model of the safe?
    Now that wouldn't be smart! That would give you information that you might be able to use to help defeat the safe should you be so inclined. Right up there with giving you the code to our alarm system.

The line between prudence and paranoia may not be very well defined, and it may be different for different people, but ultimately I still think there is a line. KnowwhatImean?

BTW.....I'm open minded. I'm still waiting to be convinced of how someone could realistically hurt me simply because they know the serial number of one of my guns. Remember, this isn't about knowing that I, or you have a gun......because we're talking about showing a gun but hiding the serial number. This is simply a question about the serial number itself.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I' don't share a lot of things on the internet. I refrain from posting serial numbers for the same reason I put my letters in envelopes. It's private information period. There may not be a single sensitive thing in my letter, but it's still private, not meant for everyone's eyes.

Paranoid, OK, if you want to call it that I suppose you can. I prefer the word prudent. If things go bad, I've given the opposition (big brother, criminals, etc.) less information to use against me. If it never happens I have harmed no one.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

What is so top secret about your serial number?
    It's not top secret. But it is not anyone's business.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well David this is a bit of a reach, but I challenge anyone to prove it outside the realm of possibility.

Let's say I know who you are and where you live. I now have my cousin write up a bill of sale for that Seecamp complete with the serial number on it. Just to put icing on the cake, we as super law abiding types make two copies and even have them notarized just because we think it's the smart thing to do. Six weeks from now I file a stolen report. When they ask if I have any idea who might have taken it, I explain how you lost it to my cousin in a poker game and you were really upset about it. I even tell them how since I am such a nice guy I even offered to sell it back to you. I last saw the pistol when I cleaned it Friday after going to the range. I have been doing yard work all weekend and since I was in and out of the house all the time I left the doors unlocked. I might have even left forgot to lock up when I went to home depot.

My paper trail is as strong as yours is. If I had watched your comings and goings I could even pick a night when you are at home and wouldn't have an alibi for when the poker game was. Of course your significant will say you were there. Why wouldn't they? They are just trying to protect you. Besides, who go to all of that trouble to steal a gun?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Now that wouldn't be smart! That would give you information that you might be able to use to help defeat the safe should you be so inclined. Right up there with giving you the code to our alarm system.

The line between prudence and paranoia may not be very well defined, and it may be different for different people, but ultimately I still think there is a line. KnowwhatImean?

There is a line that why I asked you to PM in to me not post it here. While your doing it yes it would help me if you include alarm code too. J/K

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Well David this is a bit of a reach, but I challenge anyone to prove it outside the realm of possibility.

Let's say I know who you are and where you live. I now have my cousin write up a bill of sale for that Seecamp complete with the serial number on it. Just to put icing on the cake, we as super law abiding types make two copies and even have them notarized just because we think it's the smart thing to do. Six weeks from now I file a stolen report. When they ask if I have any idea who might have taken it, I explain how you lost it to my cousin in a poker game and you were really upset about it. I even tell them how since I am such a nice guy I even offered to sell it back to you. I last saw the pistol when I cleaned it Friday after going to the range. I have been doing yard work all weekend and since I was in and out of the house all the time I left the doors unlocked. I might have even left forgot to lock up when I went to home depot.

My paper trail is as strong as yours is.

Sorry, it's not. I bought mine from a dealer years ago and can prove that via the 4473 that I filled out. Plus, I'll likely be able to prove that I was somewhere else when you claim that we played in the alleged poker game, while you'll be unable to prove that we had the aforementioned game. That along with the manufacturers transfer records will have you in jail pretty quickly for all sorts of nasty things, from filing a false police report to various conspiracy charges.
    Last edited by David in FL; January 13th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links