What is so top secret about your serial number?

This is a discussion on What is so top secret about your serial number? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HITCH KING There is a line that why I asked you to PM in to me not post it here. While your ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: What is so top secret about your serial number?

  1. #31
    Ex Member Array JOHNSMITH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    1,726
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    There is a line that why I asked you to PM in to me not post it here. While your doing it yes it would help me if you include alarm code too. J/K
    Might as well include your SSN and mother's maiden name as well

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Senior Member Array GreyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    central florida
    Posts
    906
    Boy, you guys are sure making me feel like I fit right in! And yes I am paranoid!

    However in this case I feel that posting anything on the internet makes it public domain. You cannot go back and erase the info given out. We hear all the time about people putting pictures on Myspace etc. that they only want their friends to see and it comes back later to bite them in the butt when they apply to a college.

    Haven't we all seen stories in the news about criminals that post videos online of their crimes that the police find and use it to prosecute them.

    I do not put anything online that could come back to affect me later. That includes the serial numbers of any firearms that I might own. I'm not sure if that is my paranoia sneeking out or if its just good common sense.
    Question Everything!

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,949
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Sorry, it's not. I bought mine from a dealer years ago and can prove that via the 4473 that I filled out. Plus, I'll likely be able to prove that I was somewhere else when you claim that we played in the alleged poker game, while you'll be unable to prove that we had the aforementioned game. That along with the manufacturers transfer records will have you in jail pretty quickly for all sorts of nasty things, from filing a false police report to various conspiracy charges.
    The 4473 only shows that you bought it from that dealer. I could probably dig through my filing cabinet and find my copy of the 4473 for my Taurus 92 I sold back in 1989. Doesn't prove I own it now. All those prove is that we owned them at one time. It is not like a title to an automobile. I recently bought a used P220. It is 18 years old. There could be a dozen previous owners, all with a 4473 showing they bought it.
    As far as proving where you were, I have my cousin as a witness. Unless you have some kind of documentation showing you were physically in another place ( and I watched your house to pick the night remember?) or were on a long distance conference call that police can verify, it's your word against mine.
    ETA: And besides, my story to the police already explained your paperwork. How do you as the accused explain mine?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array David in FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The 4473 only shows that you bought it from that dealer. I could probably dig through my filing cabinet and find my copy of the 4473 for my Taurus 92 I sold back in 1989. Doesn't prove I own it now. All those prove is that we owned them at one time. It is not like a title to an automobile. I recently bought a used P220. It is 18 years old. There could be a dozen previous owners, all with a 4473 showing they bought it.
    As far as proving where you were, I have my cousin as a witness. Unless you have some kind of documentation showing you were physically in another place ( and I watched your house to pick the night remember?) or were on a long distance conference call that police can verify, it's your word against mine.

    LOL. Don't give up the day job to write crime novels! How did we meet? Where did we play? How did we come to play poker in the first place? Who else (other than your cousin) can verify it? Your story would unravel in no time and you'd be on your way to the pokey.

    I'm not beating up those that choose to keep their serial numbers to themselves, to each his own. But I still haven't heard one realistic scenario where someone could cause me any angst simply because they know the serial number to one of my legally owned guns.

    I'd love to hear one. Really, I would.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

    Theodore Roosevelt

  6. #35
    Member Array darksithlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Roseville, michigan
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Might as well include your SSN and mother's maiden name as well
    Present and previous address would come in handy also.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

  7. #36
    Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,513
    The reason I black out my plates and serials on the internet is because people do some crazy things. I've heard of vehicles being sold on ebay that used pictures of someone elses car, and the ad posted the plate and location, then after it sells, the buyer thinks they are entitled to YOUR car, and it's a bunch of trouble for both you and the buyer. I don't think you could lose your car that way, but I'd like to stay out of it, and avoidance is the best way.

    Serials...well...I guess for the same reason. I like to keep my private and personal information private or personal. :)
    -Ryan

    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

  8. #37
    Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    1,772
    How many of us post on forums with our entire real name? Of those who do, how many post our whole address in our profile, without a business-related reason to do so? Do any of us also post our DOB and SSN and driver's license numbers? We all have to decide where our threshold of privacy will be. I can't even figure out how to post pics here, much less zoom in close enough to catch a serial number, but I think my threshold of privacy ends somewhere before my weapons' serial numbers. I have even wondered, sometimes, if my user name is anonymous enough. I will not post some things on-line, because I feel it is not; a case in point being what back-up weapons I carry on duty as a police officer. (This has been discussed on gun and blade forums quite a bit.) With a little intuition, a smart crook could use Google to narrow down my actual job location, because my name has appeared in the news media. While this has little enough to do with weapon serial numbers, it is an example of why I have a threshold of privacy.

  9. #38
    Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    1,772
    One more thing I just remembered; on Bikeforums not long ago, a member was posting that he thought he saw his bike, which had recently been stolen, on Craigslist. This member did not know the serial number of his stolen bike, but had certainly convinced himself that the bike in the ad was his stolen bike. If the ad had shown the serial number, would a person with a really strong "j'accuse" state of mind feel compelled to amend his police report with the serial number visible in the ad, and then try to "recover" the bike? If the seller had not bought the bike new, and/or not have accompanying paperwork, where would that leave the seller? While this scenario has never arisen in my quarter-century of police work, I have been called to numerous property disputes, when original ownership was not clear, and had to refer the parties to the civil court system, to let a judge and/or jury sort in out in a lawsuit.

    No, I don't think this is detective novel stuff. I would not want my weapons' serial numbers being on the web, especially if acquired as pre-owned. Even a 4473 is not absolute proof of a firearm's legitimacy. While the 4473 should adequately protect a buyer against allegations of theft, the owner of stolen property has the right to recover said property, with no compensation to anyone who paid money for that property any time after the loss or theft. Keep in mind that a stored firearm can be stolen and find its way into commerce before the theft is discovered.
    Last edited by Rexster; January 13th, 2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: multiple typos; clarity

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Do you run the serial number when buying a used gun?
    By Coder in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: January 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM
  2. Serial Number Gone !!
    By gwlammers in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: August 6th, 2010, 12:27 PM
  3. PM9 serial number question
    By mikearc in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 6th, 2010, 09:06 PM
  4. SA 1911 - more than 1 serial number???
    By CrookedSoul in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
  5. Serial Number Check
    By Yoda in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Search tags for this page

check handgun serial number online
,
firearm serial numbers secret
,
firearms serial numbers secret
,

fl gun serial number search

,
florida firearm serial number check
,

gun serial number lookup online

,
gun serial number secret
,
keep firearm serial number secret
,
keep serial number secret
,
seacamp serial numbers
,
secret firearm serial numbers
,
why are gun serial numbers secret
Click on a term to search for related topics.