What is so top secret about your serial number?

This is a discussion on What is so top secret about your serial number? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I have noticed that most written references to a specific fire arms serial number always end in XXXX or if it is in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is so top secret about your serial number?

What is so top secret about your serial number?

Hi, I have noticed that most written references to a specific fire arms serial number always end in XXXX or if it is in a picture, the number is obscured using photoshop. What possible nefarious use of this number is there? My only slightly devious mind can not think of any. I am curious to see the reasoning behind this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would think not posting the whole number would prevent someone wanting to cause trouble from taking the number and filing a stolen weapons report.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Same reason I think people block out the tag number on photo's of their vehicles. Your Tin Foil hat is askew...

Because its not important and you don't need to know it, nor does anyone else.

It's not paranoia. But everyone is after me......what was that sound?!?!
    HK45c V1

LOL. I've often asked the same question and the only answer that seems to make any sense is complete and utter paranoia!

I'll continue to wait for a good reason with an open mind, but I'm not holding my breath.

Note......I'm assuming that the people we're talking about aren't trying to hide the fact that they stole the weapon in question!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I would say three reasons.

1. Already mentioned. Somebody could file a fake stolen firearm report and if you bought it from an individual you may not have paperwork to prove it is yours.

2. Anything and everything on the net is monitored. Even your google searches are customized to the things you normally view. Spy-ware is rampant and gathers data on you continuously. I find it hard to believe that the government is not also monitoring bandwidth. If the government is monitoring the information that is going over the net, I would prefer them not have a list of what firearms I have and what serial numbers they are.

That may be a little paranoid, but there is, in fact, a reason why registration is illegal in most states. The first step to confiscation is compiling a list of where all the firearms are.

3. On a slightly more paranoid note, you could make a case that a criminal could change the serial number on a stolen firearm to match one that is posted on the internet. That way they would know the serial number is clean and even what state it resides in.

For my devious and slightly paranoid mind, those are the reasons I would not post the serial number to any of the firearms I own.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Its just a smart practice. Not paranoid at all, just smart. No good at all can come from your gun's serial number being on the Internet.

Would you put a picture of your gun w/serial number on the back window of your car? I doubt it, but the Internet is the same thing and in fact worse. A few thousand people might see it on your car but millions will see it on the Internet.

I thought the xxxs were part of the serial number. I never could figure out why mine didnt have any xxs. Go figure!

Just like anything else, it’s best to keep personal information off the internet

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    LOL. I've often asked the same question and the only answer that seems to make any sense is complete and utter paranoia!

I'll continue to wait for a good reason with an open mind, but I'm not holding my breath.

Note......I'm assuming that the people we're talking about aren't trying to hide the fact that they stole the weapon in question!
    so post all of your gun numbers and see if there is anything to it.

" just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean that "they" aren't out to get me!"

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    so post all of your gun numbers and see if there is anything to it.
    Not gonna open up the safe, but the Kahr that I'm carrying right now is ACO315. My Seecamp is 048779.

I'll let you know if the black helicopters show up!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I have most of my receipts from purchasing the guns, so a someone could/would get in a heap load of troubles for filing a false police report...

Or would they?

With my reciepts, I believe I can show that the weapon is legally mine...

Am I wrong about this?

Now the guns my dad gave me... They could be a whole new ballgame. "uhhh... Yeah, officer. I don't think they filled out many reciepts when my granddaddy bought that rifle, and even if they did, I don't think he would of "Here you go son. I am passing down this firearm I have owned for over 40 years along with the receipt for proof of purchase...""

As far as posting stuff like that on the internet, not a good idea. I forget the name of the service, something like Alexandria project (as in the library of) that was set up a number of years back to attempt to archive the internet. Yes, the entire internet. There was another site also, that was attempting to do the same thing. There are also programs used by government agencies, both ours and foreign that do pretty much the same thing.
    Once you put the imformation out there, there is no taking it back. Sure everything is warm and fuzzy now, but can you be absolutely certain it's going to stay that way? If you are prepared to fully document anything you sell (photocopy of buyers drivers license etc.) or are prepared to surrender everything if some government agency demands it, no problem. If not, do you have a good story for when they ask where it is?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links