Car fire and a Glock

This is a discussion on Car fire and a Glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LOL... Thanks for the lightening of the thread! You gotta laugh to keep from crying. The Glock is the least of my grief though. They ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car fire and a Glock

LOL...

Thanks for the lightening of the thread! You gotta laugh to keep from crying. The Glock is the least of my grief though. They are a dime a dozen really. The car was special though. A big loss. But... it was just a car after all.

2. Remove Ads

That is so sad! Gorgeous MB!!!!!!

The Glock is easily replaced. I'm crying for you!

It almost made it to the cemetary
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Do you think you could have saved the car if you had a fire extinguisher with you? I've occasionally thought thought about buying a one for my car but I haven't taken it seriously. Maybe I've been a car fire sheep.

As an ex firefighter who has put out numerous car fires, I can attest hat a small handheld extinguisher will only help in very limited situations. Luckily you or loved ones were not seriously injured (except the Glock)
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Administrator
    I've always liked the older MB's... that looked like a very nice one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I do indeed believe I could have saved it.

I almost saw it change from smoke to fire as I pulled to a stop. I think it was small at that point. I was able to take my multitool and pry off the switch cover and go to my trunk looking for anything that would help and get back. I only had a jug of DD water in there but it only had perhaps a cup of water in it. So since I had time to do that, had I returned with a fire extinguisher, I believe I could have gotten it out.

However I also believe I would have needed to disconnect the battery. So I am of the mind set now that the two need to be combined. A battery disconnect (a minor thing that costs like 12 bucks) would be a part of any plan to deal with an unfused short.

I have now purchased Halotron fire extinguishers for the other two cars (they arrived this morning). I have always carried a dry chem in my truck. I will replace that with a Halotron and will always, from now on, have one in each vehicle. And then I will set about doing battery disconnects for each as well.

The reason for Halotron (or even recycled Halon) is that they leave the vehicle clean when they are used. They do not leave residue that is impossible to remove and is also corrosive. They can, eventually do a lot of damage when used. Halotron and Halon are the types used in computer rooms and leave no residue and do not damage electronics. They also work on Fuel fires as well. So, in these modern electronics cars they make the most sense. They also are the type used in racing cars.

However there is just a few minutes between working and not. And of course I think the cause has to be eliminated. If it was a short then it would have had to be eliminated too.

At least, if you have one, you can feel your doing something. And then if it doesn't work you will feel a bit better that you had something to try. But there is a lot of fuel in an interior. Lots to burn.

Excellent post on the need for Halotron or Halon versus a standard extinguisher. I'm going to pick up a couple to swap out in my trucks. Cut-off switches too.

I loved the look of your MB! I always liked those huge fog lights. Again, I'm crying for ya!

Well you wouldn't want to put a fire out and then end up totaling the car anyway from the latent damage the extinguisher caused. And it will indeed if it gets into that computer controlled stuff under the dash. You could end up stuck with a troublesome car as it slowly fails LONG after you have settled with the insurance company. Then your stuck.

When for $50-75 more dollars you can avoid that.

From what I can tell, H3R is the lone supplier of these. And they then distribute to the main suppliers. They also sell recycled Halon ones.

Shop online - Halon Fire Extinguishers from H3R Clean Agents

And here is a link to their Halotron 1 (Halguard) automotive section with links to vendors. I ordered from Summit because they are fairly close.

http://www.h3rperformance.com/

But the prices seems fairly consistent from one to another vendor. $99 for the 1.4 pound unit (Summit and many have this listed as a 1.0 pound unit but I don't know why as H3R says its 1.4) and $119 for the 2.5 pounder. But also there is a Hazmat shipping costs on ANY fire extinguisher. $22 per box. So figure that in. So if you can find them locally you might be better off.

With fire extinguishers bigger is always better. However space is a issue as the 2.5's are fairly long. If it is an issue the 1.4 will fit anywhere. They both have a 10 second discharge time so its just a matter of how much product they dispense. 10 seconds should be all you need though. Should give you two or three shots at it. If its bigger than that your screwed already I would think. But a fire that I first faced should have been out with a 3 second burst. However then would need to disconnect battery and possibly shoot again.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    So sorry to for the loss of both car and gun.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

While I'm sure you would have rather lost a safe full of Glocks than your car,at least now you have a valid excuse to go and buy another gun. Maybe you can even convince the wife to let you buy two new guns to help ease the pain!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Losing the gun is bad news, but losing the car is tragic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links