The ball of fire

This is a discussion on The ball of fire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was watching my wife shoot her SW scandium .357 with CorBon ammo. The ball of fire (actually hot gases) at the muzzle was the ...

Thread: The ball of fire

The ball of fire

I was watching my wife shoot her SW scandium .357 with CorBon ammo.
    The ball of fire (actually hot gases) at the muzzle was the size of a pumpkin.

I was wondering what happened in a "contact" shot; would the hot gases penetrate the body ? They are coming in the immediate wake of the bullet. Anew meaning to a blow-gun

I've not seen this discussed anywhere (that I know of)

What do you think ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    In my experience suicides caused by a gunshot to the head have more damage from the pressure than from the bullet - the bullet goes thru while the pressure scrambles the grey matter. I imagine it would have a similiar effect anywhere else on the body.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Senior Moderator
    The coroner here says that the messiest suicide he has ever seen was when a guy stuck a black powder .44 caliber cap and ball gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger.

The exanding gases literaly blew the back of the guys head all over the wall and ceiling.It was so gross that the funeral had to be a closed casket one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The gases are absolutely dangerous. Below are a few examples I am aware of.

A few years back, 1984, an up and coming actor, Jon-Erik Hexum, shot himself in the temple with a blank while on the set for the telivision show "Cover Up". He died 6 days later. Why I remembered this, I have no idea other than I remember thinking how incredibly stupid it was at the time.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/H...4/LATimes.html

Also several years back, one of the guys working with me, came in with his hand bandaged. He claims that his revolver went off while "cleaning" it. The gases penetrated the skin of his palm.

This is going on in the courts in Texarkana right now for losing his thumb from escaping gasses from a big bore S&W.

Arkansas couple files negligence suit against Smith & Wesson

A certain black ops organization (not us) used to use a tool for exterminating vermin. It was a narrow double edged dagger with a .22 LR that fired through the hilt along the blade. The gent who made them told me that the expanding gasses from the .22 entering the wound from the knife did a dandy job.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Massad Ayoob has addressed this several times in his writings. Yes, those expanding gases do cause damage of their own. OTOH, the advantage of a firearm over contact weapons is the ability to defend one's self at a stand-off distance. I would not purposely close the gap to use this effect on an opponent.

Well if the gasses that escape from around the cylinder gap of a revolver can blow a guys thumb off...just think. A 90psi blast of air can enter the skin at close range...sometimes enough to enter the bloodstream and kill. One could just imagine what the psi blast of a close range gunshot might be. Interesting conversation though.......I like to watch muzzle blast fireballs myself when I get the chance.

I've heard of the wadding in a blank killing someone. With the pressures generated by the gas it should cause quit a bit of damage.

Gas damage

I've seen blast injuries to the leg and thumb from AD / NDs or improper hand placement on pistols (revolvers and autos) a couple of times. A contact GSW to the head also makes a distinctive blast injury to the skin from hot gasses peeling away the skin from the skull and making a bubble of gas under the skin. Looks like a starfish shaped blast pattern. Because the gas blows outwards, Paramedics have been known to confuse the entrance and exit wounds, especially if the real exit wound is just a small hole from an unexpanded FMJ.

If you want to quantify or test the amont of blast damage, get some soda cans and milk jugs full of water. Even with a .22 (which will minimize how wet you get) you can see bits of gunpowder and gas will make holes in the Aluminum can separate from the bullet. Looks like tiny birdshot holes at contact range. At a foot distance it's just a soot deposit.

And I guess if you're in a wrestling match and you get your BUG out, you might as well jam it into something soft and pull the trigger and make the most damage you can.

Administrator
    Extremely disruptive internally.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Extremely disruptive internally.
    That's the most concise statement about the subject

Thanks to all for their input; very interesting.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    ...my wife shoot her SW scandium .357 with CorBon ammo....
    That alone is impressive. I've seen reports of grown, hulking, men being reduced to tears by that combination.:)
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

Links