News From Virginia

News From Virginia

This is a discussion on News From Virginia within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Washington Post Article this date! QUOTE...... CRIME PANEL DEADLOCKS ON LOOPHOLE Commission Fails to Endorse Gun Show Background Checks By Frederick Kunkle washington post staff ...

Thread: News From Virginia

News From Virginia

Washington Post Article this date!

QUOTE......

CRIME PANEL DEADLOCKS ON LOOPHOLE
    Commission Fails to Endorse Gun Show Background Checks

By Frederick Kunkle
    washington post staff writer

Richmond, January 13,

The Virginia State Crime Commission on Tuesday declined to endorse closing the so-called gun show loophole in Virginia law, heightening uncertainty about prospects of success in the General Assembly.

UNQUOTE

OK, then, for the good guys!

Distinguished Member
    I don't have a problem with Virginia making Gun Shows follow the laws that me have in effect, for the local dealers.

I don't want any thug buying a gun so easily and giving us a bad reputation.

Before I could find a holster in the store I was approved. So I don't see a problem with the current law.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I don't have a problem with Virginia making Gun Shows follow the laws that me have in effect, for the local dealers.

Before I could find a holster in the store I was approved. So I don't see a problem with the current law.
    Virginia law is already in line with the majority of the states. If you are a licensed gun dealer at a gun show background checks are required, if you are not a dealer no background check required. To my knowledge (I might be wrong) there is no way for a non-dealer to run a background check, other than having a licensed dealer do it.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post

Really? That same thug can buy a car and run your arse over too... Maybe we should require them to get a background check before getting a car too..and a moped...and kitchen knives and.... er well you know...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The target (loop hole myth) of these laws is private face to face sales.... that may occur around a gun show.

Dealers at gun shows conduct background checks just like they would in any shop

What happens is people who are attending the show may bring a gun to swap or sell. To another private individual.

They could just as soon be meeting at Walmart parking lot. Its still a face to face private sale.

I cannot see that a ban on private sales of one law abiding citizen to another could ever stand a court challenge. Legal property legally obtained and legally sold. This is why these "loophole closing laws" always get shoved in the trash can. Because the legislators are finally explained what they are doing... finally the myth of the "gun show Loophole" evaporates. There is no such thing.

VIP Member
    But it wasn't entirely good news.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    VCDL's meeting schedule: Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    GOOD NEWS!

Today the Virginia State Crime Commission voted NOT to recommend a bill that would register private sales at gun shows!

Voting CORRECTLY (pro-gun): Delegate Armstrong, Delegate Sherwood, Delegate Bell, Delegate Kilgore, Senator Stolle, and Martin Kent (AG's Office)

Voting INCORRECTLY (anti-gun): Col. Massengill, Delegate Melvin, Delegate Albo, Senator Howell, Mr. Towey, Mr. Petoe

However, they did a follow up vote on a recommendation by Senator Stolle that would have some State Police deputized by the BATFE so they can enforce federal law. The gun show would have to foot the fee to have such an officer on their premises. Stolle also wanted a dealer designated by the gun show so that voluntary background checks could be run by private sellers.

The Stolle bill was almost killed because the majority of Delegates on the committee voted against it (a rule that the Committee has), but under pressure from Senator Stolle, the Delegates decided not to nix the bill. So, in the end, the bill passed by 7 to 5.

There are multiple problems with all of that (what happens if NO dealer wants to be designated for voluntary private sales checks? Since gun shows are paying for officer, does that make the officer an employee of the show promoter and therefore required to followe the employer's rules, like those officers who work off-duty at Wal-Mart? Shouldn't the fee for the officer come out of the General Funds and not out of gun show and gun show attendees' pockets?)

We will need to see what the bill looks like when it is introduced to see the details and decide our response.

--

ANTIS ACTING BADLY

After the Virginia State Crime Commission vote, I was surrounded by the press. I was asked what I thought of the outcome. I said, "There is NO gun show loophole..." At that point an anti-gun female started yelling that I was not telling the truth. I looked at the cameras calmly and said, "Wow - what decorum!"

Some of the reporters looked surprised at the outburst.

As I have said in the past, most of the other side is an angry, impolite bunch.

I went up to grab some lunch and ended up standing in line along side Senator Saslaw (who said gun owners looked like half the cast of "Deliverance" last Lobby Day). I guess he didn't see me standing there as he was giving an earful to one of the antis about the evils of VCDL. Amazing all things one can learn standing in line to buy a candy bar... ;-)

--

NOT SO GOOD NEWS FROM THE FOIA ADVISORY COMMITTEE

I had a chance to speak at the FOID Advisory Committee, asking them to please keep Courts from disseminating the names and addresses of CHP holders to the press. One member spoke eloquently about that very issue. However, they voted to move forward with the Senator Houck CHP Privacy Loophole bill. :-(

Unfortunately, Delegate Nutter put in a matching bill to Senator Houck's bill. I am greatly disappointed in that. We need to close that loophole or we will have another year of the Fredericksburg Freelance-Star printing the names and address of new CHP holders every few weeks.

We will oppose any bills that don't do the full job. The Attorney General's opinion is doing what these bills do currently. That's not good enough.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    At at least for Nevada, I've never seen any gun show loop hole. At every gun show that I have been to, there are several tables put together, dedicated to running back ground checks. I'm not aware of any gun sales without them.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    There isn't really a 'loophole', the vast majority (probably 99.9%) of sales at shows are background-checked.

The ONE guy who walks around the show with an AR with a sign on it saying "for sale $1500" is still carrying it as far as I know
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I buy and sell face to face here in Va.
    The "loophole bill" would stop me from setting and/or trading guns with friends and coworkers, selling and/or trading guns with my family... without shelling out money to a FFL on each transaction.
    Also, do a little bit of research into what percent of gun crime is committed with "loophole" guns. ;)

Jim
    A Right not exercised, is a Right lost.

Links