red dots & eye dominance

This is a discussion on red dots & eye dominance within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a right-handed shooter, but I am left eye dominant. I'm in the process of buying an AR that will have an Aimpoint red dot ...

Thread: red dots & eye dominance

red dots & eye dominance

I'm a right-handed shooter, but I am left eye dominant. I'm in the process of buying an AR that will have an Aimpoint red dot sight, or maybe an Eotech.

Can I use these sights with both eyes open, aiming with my right eye?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I can speak from experience in ref. to the EOTech,TruGlo,Aimpoint,Tasco Opitma,and Tasco PDP2. I have, or have had, them all. I am very much R eye dominant and can close that eye and still use the devices very effectively.With these,you can use either eye, or as I have trained myself to do,shoot with both eyes open.There is no parallax with a 1X scope. Also,it does not matter where you put the dot in the aperture. As long as the dot is on target,you will hit it. As a side note: I would HIGHLY recommend the TRUGLO(Trupoint),the Aimpoint,and to a certain degree the EOTech. -------

Lead Moderator
    I shoot both eyes open with a red dot too.
    Not sure what the eye dominance will do though for sighting easily.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Also,it does not matter where you put the dot in the appature. As long as the dot is on target,you will hit it.
    Could you elaborate on this? I just got a red dot for my VEPR, but have not had a chance to try it out yet. Are you saying that I don’t have to worry about cheek weld (one of my big concerns)? Are you saying that a consistent eye/head positioning relative to the dot will not matter the way it does with a conventional scope and/or iron sights?

This sounds like what they were saying on Tantal’s web site, but I didn’t know if I was misinterpreting what they were saying…

Quote Originally Posted by Tantal
    There is no focusing or sight alignment to concentrate on, as the sight does not require you to critically align the reticle in the center of the lens. You simply see the dot and when you pull the trigger, the rounds hit whatever the dot is "projected" over.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Assistant Administrator
    The more you spend, the less parallax problems there usually are.

From my experience the cheaper units do require the dot to be well centered or there can be some error. My Holosight is much more forgiving. I guess I have a habit of centering anyways.

Red dots do make both-eyes-open shooting much easier - I am stuck with my old bullseye habit and usually close left eye but can use both more easily with those (and am right dominant.).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Dirkster

"Can I use these sights with both eyes open, aiming with my right eye?"

The short answer is...Yes.

Ideally you would keep both eyes open looking at the target area with your non dominant eye and through the holographic sight with your dominant eye which will optically "overlay" the illuminated dot on your intended target...while still allowing you to view the entire scene.
    I probably didn't explain that too well but, that is the proper way to use a holographic sight system on a rifle.

CLICK ON THIS LINK ~ It Will All Be Clear.

Photo Credit To EOTech

I have an EOTECH and you can use it with one eye closed, however you get a better field of view with both eyes open

JT, I have shot my dot sights from a well rested bench intentionally placing the dot hight right,low left,etc. The point of impact does not change for me. Remember also that these types of sights(except the EOTech) has rather large dots. Some have as big as 8-10 MOA dots. For me the 4MOA is about right.These sighting devices are intended for close range,very quick shots. Not target work.(Although I have shot some 1.5MOA groups with my 1MOA EOTech.) Just remembering,I have tried shooting with NO cheek weld and my face rearward in line with the butt of the stock also,without change in bullet impact. Also with a firm cheek weld and switching from right eye to left eye. As long as these scopes are used for what they were intended to be used for,I feel that they are an excellent targeting device. ------

JT
    Thanks for the info, RSSZ (and P95 Carry and QKShooter).

It looks like I will finally get to try mine out a week from Saturday.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A final thought on red dot sights. As in other optics(scopes,bino's,rangefinders,etc.),I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. If you pay $79.95 for a scope,you are gettin' $79.95 worth of scope. --------

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Due to the nature of EoTech's and Holosights, there is no parallax (POI shifting with moving the position of the eye). Red dot scopes do have this effect to a small degree, as the red dot image is virtually projected many feet (typically 25-50) in front of the scope.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    "Can I use these sights with both eyes open, aiming with my right eye?"

The short answer is...Yes.

Ideally you would keep both eyes open looking at the target area with your non dominant eye and through the holographic sight with your dominant eye which will optically "overlay" the illuminated dot on your intended target...while still allowing you to view the entire scene.
    I probably didn't explain that too well but, that is the proper way to use a holographic sight system on a rifle.
    I think you explained it admirably.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Links