IDPA for practice? Who competes? My scores here...

This is a discussion on IDPA for practice? Who competes? My scores here... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering how many of you shoot IDPA or the like for "practice"? I just completed my 3rd match last night and I gotta ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA for practice? Who competes? My scores here...

IDPA for practice? Who competes? My scores here...

I was wondering how many of you shoot IDPA or the like for "practice"? I just completed my 3rd match last night and I gotta say I am having a great time and getting better every match! Not to brag but that'ud be me under SSP Unclassified as "1".

Dan
    Attached Files
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

looks greek to me, but i do want to get into this. don't know of any near reno
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Quote Originally Posted by Reicher View Post
    looks greek to me, but i do want to get into this. don't know of any near reno
    Check out International Defensive Pistol Association for info. BTW. Each stage is scored with time and points down (every 2 points down= 1 second added to your score). The idea is to complete each stage in the least amount of time possible. Scroll to second page on attachment for more explanation.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I've done a couple of USPSA sanctioned matches with my local club. I do look at the opportunity as good practice actually. Makes one think a bit more about muzzle control, magazine changes, focus, and always leaves room for improvement. I can see how pistol matches can be sort of addicting in a way. Some other folks simply look at these matches as gaming and such. I certainly don't think I could never get bored with something like that. It's just more practical to me and instills good skills depending on how you look at it in my opinion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    Not to brag but that'ud be me under SSP Unclassified as "1".

Dan
    Sandbagger!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Our club stopped matches in August (lack of volunteers). We should start up again soon. If you're going to continue, reloading is a must!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    We have several members in the forum that shoot IDPA. And outside having loads of money to attend a school every month, I'd say that IDPA is one of the best ways you have to train defensive scenarios.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I shot IDPA for the first time last year. I find it's really good at building skills, and giving you the chance to do things, like move while shooting and using cover, that aren't available in your typical range experience. It also adds an element of pressure, and helps you understand the the importance of "burning in" the basic muscle movements.

It ain't training, but I thinks it's extremely valuable in building defensive competence.
    Still Clingin'

Congrats! I shoot mostly USPSA but tied IDPA and enjoyed but there are limited ranges offering it here. Mostly USPSA and Steel.

Do not let any of the supreme tactical guys tell you any of these sports are dangerous for real life situations. You learn to draw quickly and safely, sight on quickly, deliver accurate follow up shots, shoot while moving, reload, and clear malfunctions.

I shoot IDPA as often as I can. Given my work schedule, that often works out to only about once a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. The big joke is that IDPA stands for I Don't Practice Anymore. For me, that is true. Pretty much all my range time these days (with the exception of PD qualifications and training) is IDPA matches.

I dry fire almost every day, but actual live ammo shooting is pretty much exclusively IDPA, and sometimes a little range time after a match. I do pretty well considering, but obviously I get trounced by the folks that practice all the time at match needed skills.

I've been to several matches with tflhndn from this site. Any of you NC or southern central VA folks who are interested, there is a great match at The Range in Oxford the first and second Sundays of each month.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Congrats! I'll be getting into it as soon as I get back from deployment.

How were the 2 stages set up?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I shoot IDPA ocassionally, mainly for the trigger time and different scenarios. I like to try different carry guns when I shoot so I'm not really into the competion part of it. I would really like to see the local club have some BUG shoots from time to time but it never happens.

I'm planning on shooting my SP101 at a match soon in SSR (not a BUG match) just to see how I do handling the 5-shooter under stress. I'm planning on using a combination of speed loaders and speed strips to reload, and an IWB holster to shoot from. I haven't decided if I will shoot it with magnum ammo (which is what I will be carrying in the SP), or .38 Special ammo to save some money. I might as well go magnum since I won't be competitive with a 5-shot anyway. Maybe I will sit down at the press and load a hundred or so tomorrow.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I haven't shot and IDPA match in months but I qualified as a MM with my G23. I go to have fun and get more accurate.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

I shoot at least two matches every month. I am also on the set up crew and a Safety Officer for my local IDPA club.

We shoot once a month, usually eight stages and have been getting 55-65 shooters per match. We have 12 action pits and the range is building a few more so gun club members have more bays to shoot while a match is being held.

We set up all day Saturday and shoot Sunday. We use a lot of moving targets and have been switching over from electric to pneumatic operated targets.

You can go to Youtube and search "GADPA" and see some of out matches in action. The 2008 State match is probably one of the better videos.

It also gives me a chance to go to the range more to stay in practice for the match.
    I normally shoot a revolver in SSR and a SA 1911 in CDP. I shoot several matches every year with my Glock 30 carry gun.

I started action pistol shooting way too late in life to ever be a top gun but I really enjoy shooting the matches, lots of fun and camaraderie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links