I want to get into practical shooting competition...

This is a discussion on I want to get into practical shooting competition... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IDPA, 3 gun, IPSC, etc looks like tons of fun. I really want to get into it. I pretty much know how to get into ...

Thread: I want to get into practical shooting competition...

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

IDPA, 3 gun, IPSC, etc looks like tons of fun. I really want to get into it. I pretty much know how to get into it...find a local club, start doing local matches, etc...

Watching all these videos though, it looks like a lot of people using 1911s tricked out with compensators, huge mag well funnels, 2lb triggers, speed holsters, etc. It doesn't seem all that um...practical. So anyway, I'd be doing it for fun mostly, but doing well is fun also. Can you be competitive with a regular defensive sidearm? I'd want to use my Sig P229 DAK...I'm getting a Barsto fitted match barrel, and other than that, it's going to be pretty much bone stock. I wouldn't use my IWB holster, but I'd want to use one of my OWB holsters I use for CC...maybe I'm an idealist. Anyway, can you still be competitive without all the fancy high speed gear?

*edit*
    After a little more research, it looks like USPSA/IPSC is the one that ends up with more tricked out guns, while IDPA tends to be more carry gun oriented. And after more research, both have categories for carry guns/tricked guns. I guess that answers my question. Anyway, anyone else do this and have advice for getting into it?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The best advice - JUST DO IT!

A couple of years ago, someone suggested I check out IDPA - I did and I've never looked back. It is a great opporutnity to have a lot of fun and a better opportunity to learn a ton. There are so many good shooters that are willing to teach for free.

Find a local club and just go and shoot. Every sport has a lot of rules - don't worry about those at first - as long as you are safe, they'll teach you the game rules as you go.

At our club we hold practices every Wednesday and matches once a month. We have a lot of people who come to practices just get better at shooting and to learn from all the experienced shooters. They may never go to a match, they don't care about the game part of it. That's ok.

Personally, I learned to like the game - most of the time I compete against myself. But, every once in a while it is nice to get a ribbon or a plaque with my name engraved.

No matter why you go to shoot, just remember a bad day at the range is better than a - well, actually, even when I've shot poorly, I've never had a bad day at the range!
    S&W 625
    Glock 21
    Glock 30

This is my glock. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I've also never had a bad day at the range. I really look forward to trying something other than the standard range routine. I found one club real close to home that holds matches once a month. I just signed up for an IDPA membership. Can't wait to get home now!
    -Ryan

A very few shooters shoot open (USPSA-IPSC) you know those tricked out guns with optic, big well, and a comp. Limited can be similar without the optics but the vast majority of the people are shooting relatively stock guns in either Single Stack - Production - L10 or Revolver division.
    It is a rumor only that you have to have some fancy gear to compete. (Well if you wanna be competitive in open then you have to...)
    Watch the little video here, it will explain it.
    United States Practical Shooting Association

About IDPA,
    They have divisions also where you can be shoot your gun against similar guns (just like USPSA - IPSC)
    They tend to think it is more defensive oriented. Well I am not gonna make a comment on this, get to the level where you nationally competitive in both and come back and we talk about that again.
    IMHO it is just an other shooting sport.
    International Defensive Pistol Association

Don't forget about Steel Challenge it is about only shooting skills - no movement - no reloads- no stage tactics. It is about shooting only.
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

If youre looking at starting out and just in it for fun then just start with Production Class, and work your way up if you want to get more competitive.

All you need is a production class gun, lots to choose from but the majority of people shoot (Glock 17, XD9), but that doesnt mean you have to.

holster, belt and 2 mag holders are next on the list.

My production rig only cost $100US to setup,

- Blackhawk CQC HOlster
    - 2 Blackhawk CQC Mag Holders
    - Uncle Mikes Duty Belt

Fobus also do some nice priced gear.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty well set up already for Stock Service Pistol (Production).

Sig P229 DAK .40
    Milt Sparks VMII or Blackhawk SERPA
    Milt Sparks double mag pouch
    4 10 round mags
    4 12 round mags (not much use for them in competition though, and can't switch capacities)
    Beltman belt

I don't think I'd ever want to go to the open class...but you can use your SSP weapon in a category above, so if I wanted to compete against them I could.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    4 12 round mags (not much use for them in competition though, and can't switch capacities)
    Actually, it is easier to use the higher capacity magazines. If you use the 10 rounders then you have to chamber a round from a Barney mag, then pop that mag out and insert a fully loaded one. With the 12 rounders you could just load the first mag with 11 rounds and chamber as usual. The other two you have on your belt still can only hold 10 though as that is the max allowed.

Another use for those full cap mags is when you are shooting the Classifier. All the ones i've been to let you load up full so the strings go faster. Each string has a set number of shots, called limited vickers, and if you shoot more than that you get a penalty. If you only load what each string needs you better have a lot of magazines. Plus you'll be spending a lot of time doing reloads.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

That's some good advice. I'll probably pick up a few more 12 rounders as spares.

Can you do the classifier at a club or do you have to have it done at a certain IDPA event?
    -Ryan

VIP Member
    Any IDPA club MUST run at least one classifier a year so basically any club will do it. You have to be an IDPA member to classify. We run a classifier whenever there is a fifth Saturday in a month.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Congratulations on finding out two of the best ways to spend your time at a shooting range. I would say that you should check out both sports before you decide which one you like better as each of them have a division in which that gun would be very competetive. IDPA and USPSA have distinctly different experience and I would recomend trying them both as a lot of people enjoy them each for different reasons.

Sponsored Links