Are tritium nite sights worth it ?

This is a discussion on Are tritium nite sights worth it ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ex, I had a similar experience except it was in daylight. Huge dog broke open a storm door and charged me and my dog (Tangle). ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are tritium nite sights worth it ?

Senior Moderator
    Ex,
    I had a similar experience except it was in daylight. Huge dog broke open a storm door and charged me and my dog (Tangle). I began moving me and Tangle as far across the road as I could get.

In that mental state that seems like "instantaneous assessment", I decided to draw if the dog came into the road, and the instant I perceived he was a threat, the shooting would begin. The dog charged into the street, I had already drawn my gun - nerves gave in early. Just as it was time, I heard the owner (a woman) yelling he won't bite. I trusted her; thank goodness she was right.

She new I had a gun - out. I got back to my mother-in-laws ASAP and called the police and told them the story. I didn't want the owner calling in and reporting some guy pulled a gun on them.

I'm sure glad I had night sights on my gun when that happened, otherwise this post would be drifting off topic.

2. Remove Ads

Well here I go again....instead of the tritium...how about that glow paint for sights, like the kit that Brownell sells ??? Whatdayathink ?

On a Colt Mustang you want to carry all the time? I'd just get the actual tritium sights myself rather than the paint. Reason being is the sights will last a lot longer.

The sights on that used Sig I picked up still glow and that thing's been around.

Plus that's a nice gun. I'd want to do it right. If it was I don't know a Llama or something I might try the paint.

Assistant Administrator
    Is the paint not passive - as against the active Tritiums.? Meaning they need a ''charge'' of light?

May be wrong but that was what I had thought.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I never used paint. thanks for the .02 's worth.
    I'm not the type to spend for a decent, pricey gun and get chenzy on its accessories, especially dealing with my lifes on the line.
    Its time to order a set of millet tritium's.
    Anyone recommend a better set ?
    --------
    now....what configuration ? I like the rear sight bar; front sight dot configuration.
    My 10mm has the three dot set-up... think its better to keep them all the same ???

Assistant Administrator
    I have three dot and would not mix in any other - and am thinking, if you have one three dot already, stick to it.

Commonality is good

Not sure of all make options - others will probably chime in with other suggestions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    Well here I go again....instead of the tritium...how about that glow paint for sights, like the kit that Brownell sells ??? Whatdayathink ?
    Ummmmm BTDT and my life is worth a heckuva LOT more...at least the cost of real tritiums.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OD*
    Artz,

Anyone who would tell you the tritium sights are not worth the money, just have not found themselves in the correct set of circumstances.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The make of sights really depends on personal preference too - sorry! I like Novak's lo-mount night sights, they're relatively snag free and bright enough for my eyes. I've also heard good things about MMC's sights: Haven't personally tried them but they offer an impressive array of configurations and color choices.
    Jack

tritium night sights are worth it.......

I am switching to the "NEW" XS 24/7 express big dot tritium night sites on my CCW. Much easier to quickly aquire a target, The only pics I could find are from Kahrs website.

Just thought I would throw these in the mix too.

Here they are at Brownells,

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...?p=16839#specs

And a couple of pics showing them glowing and on a gun.
    Attached Images
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Paint sucks but when you have built in sight its the only way and they need to be charged so about the only thing you get is a few white dots not very helpful is a stressful situation. I have tritium sights on my smith they died after 7 years. I'm looking to get some truglo fiber/tritium or some meprolights for my new taurus 24/7 but everyone seems to be dragging there feet.
    http://www.meprolight.com/
    http://www.truglosights.com/content/...iber_optic.asp
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

OD*
    Bryan,

Do you know who made your night sights? I would contact them, Trijicon has a half-life of 12 years, Meprolights 10 years. Trijicon's can have their tritium vial's replaced, I don't believe Meprolights can.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Unfortunately I had smith and Wesson install them. The sights are over 12 years old and since I have my Taurus the smith remains in the safe. The 24/4 is supposed to have user replaceable sights but Mepro wants me to send in my slide and pay a hefty fee to have them installed. Truglo looks good but I'm worried about flashing the sight on the top during the draw. They are pretty long on top but can't be seen from the front. Anyway it looks like they absorb light from the top and channel it to the rear with fiber optics.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I hate to say this but I'm kinda weary of this upgrade now. The reason is that the front sight is milled into the slide and I really don't want to have it grinded off and a new one put on. Then the slid will have to get re-blued...
    I am prob looking at spending almost the same amout getting this done as I spent on purchasing the gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links