Are tritium nite sights worth it ?

This is a discussion on Are tritium nite sights worth it ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently bought a beautiful little Colt Mustang .380. It has these small sights like you find on a 1911A mil-spec, nothing special. Is it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I recently bought a beautiful little Colt Mustang .380.
    It has these small sights like you find on a 1911A mil-spec, nothing special.
    Is it worth the money for tritium nite sights ? or just normal white dot sights ? or ? and why ?
    Artz

Depends on you. I know that's a bit of a copout, but it really does.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Depends on you. I know that's a bit of a copout, but it really does.
    please explain ?

Well, how good are your eyes?

Can you acquire a fast sight picture with the smaller sights?

Are you worried about certain size or profile sights getting snagged on the draw?

What kind of personal lighting options are you using?

What are you going to do with the gun? How often do you plan to carry it?

It's just one of those things that's very personal and particular.

I personally don't invest in anything for a gun for at least a month or 300 rounds, unless it's real obvious it needs it, like a replacement part.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Well, how good are your eyes?

Can you acquire a fast sight picture with the smaller sights?

Are you worried about certain size or profile sights getting snagged on the draw?

What kind of personal lighting options are you using?

What are you going to do with the gun? How often do you plan to carry it?

It's just one of those things that's very personal and particular.

I personally don't invest in anything for a gun for at least a month or 300 rounds, unless it's real obvious it needs it, like a replacement part.
    #1 my eyes are pretty good. At late evening and nite, they go funky. I have a stigmatism.
    #2 in daytime I have no problems with a fast sight acqusition.
    #3 yepper...the standard sights will snag quicker than the millet sights
    #4 I use no personal lighting system.
    #5 gun will be a full time pocket concealment piece. Front or rear pocket.
    #6 ....and the gun shoots flawlessly. Already put over 200 rounds of 95 gr. hardball through her...

1952 - 2006
    I personally like tritium sights.

I have Ashley's 24/7 big dot on my Rock River 1911 and standard 3 dot night sights on my Kimber CDP Compact.

I find that I shoot tighter groups in low light than I do in the day. It has to do with having that big green light bulb 'yelling look at me'. I seem to concentrate on the front sight better in low light with the tritium sights.

They say that tritium will last for 10 years. After experience with several sets, I find it's more like 6 years. But what the hey, I can live with that.

My .02 worth.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If you plan on it being you everyday/night carry then you should look into it

Lead Moderator
    I like the tritium sights too. Not sure if I would put em on a pocket gun, unless I was gonna carry it alot though. Do you have another gun or can you borrow 1 to see how the night sights might help you with your vision needs?

I like my night sights. If you could be using your pistol in a low light condition, they would be a great help. I have done some, dry run, house clearing in low light, and they are a huge help finding where the gun is pointing. And fast. I have them on all of my hand guns.

The are not a substitute for a good flashlight but do aid in the in between times when the light is not on.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Talking

You see , my s&w has factory tritium nite ights on it. I think they are great. My ruger sp101 has crimson trace laser grips.
    hmmmmm........I think I have just answered my own question.
    Thanks guys, for prodding my noodle and thinking a little bit.

Assistant Administrator
    I like to think I have best of both worlds! My 226 (and 228) have night sights, and - CT grips.

The CT's in very low light would probably take priority but should they fail the night sights could be invaluable. Assuming of course we have time to aquire a full sight picture!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Anything that improves your sight picture in low light is a tactical advantage old eyes or not, I vote yes and have them on the HK.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    Anything that improves your sight picture in low light is a tactical advantage old eyes or not
    Bingo ! the magic sentence !

Senior Moderator
    One school of thought is that if you don't have enough light to see your sights, then you don't have enough light to identify your target. If you can't identify what you are shooting at....

But, I have found that there are many light levels that I can't see my sight that I can identify my target. I often shoot in light levels where my sights blend into the dark target and I can't get a good sight picture. Sometimes the night sights help and sometimes they don't - a lot depends on light conditions.

I think night sights fall into the "better to have and not need than to not have and need them".

P95 may have the ultimate set up - night sights and CTs, or at least some kind of laser sight. But as pointed out, neither is a substitute for a flashlight. You can put a night sight or laser sight on a target, but if you can't identify the target, you are shooting blind.

I vote in favor of tritiums. In fact, usually it's the only modification I will make to a carry gun, the exception being grips. But for my aging eyes, tritiums are a must!

About ten years ago, I was taking a nighttime stroll with my wife around our Coral Gables neighborhood. At that time, I was carrying a Beretta M84 .380. Well, to be more precise, it was my wife's gun, I had possession that night. Suddenly out of nowhere a dog came snarling and snapping at my wife. She yelled and I drew. I did not fire primarily because I couldn't see my sights and the animal was too close to risk a shot. I was about to pounce on the dog and simply screw the barrel into it's ear before I began pulling the trigger. At that moment, the dogs owner rushes out and pulls the dog away apologizing profusely. As he did so, I swiftly reholstered. He never saw the gun.

My wife did. She knew the situation and she was glad I hadn't had to kill the pup. She immediately asked me to sell her gun and get her a Colt Commander 45 with tritiums. She surely is a keeper! We did that and it's been perfect, ever since.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links