Got an invite from the ATF yesterday.

This is a discussion on Got an invite from the ATF yesterday. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have my Curio & Relics license and the ATF sent out a letter inviting me to a workshop where they'll explain the new 4473 ...

Thread: Got an invite from the ATF yesterday.

I have my Curio & Relics license and the ATF sent out a letter inviting me to a workshop where they'll explain the new 4473 forums and other info. Doesn't apply to us C&R license holders as we aren't dealers but would be good info for firearms dealers and gunsmiths.
    They had a note in the letter telling everyone that firearms wouldn't be allowed at the meetings. There are 3 different meetings in 3 different locations, Montgomery, Birmingham and the other I can't recall. Thing is I won't go to any of these towns and leave my CW at home.
    Could hide it in the car but not fond of that either. Oh well. Didn't really want to meet them anyway.

This is just my uneducated opinion, but if the location isn't off limits, I would think them asking you to leave your CCW at home would be about as binding as them asking you to wear a blue shirt.

I had sort of the same feeling about the Washington Arms Collectors (WAC) gun shows. They do not allow any loaded weapons even with a permit. I sort of see the logic in not having any weapons capable of firing in an environment like a gun show (lots of guns being handled), but not allowing CC seems wrong.

Find out where the seminars will be held.

If they are being held on or at a Federal building (most likely) then no you may not possess not only a firearm but no _dangerous weapons_ on your person nor keep same stowed/stored within your vehicle, once upon Federal property.

If the seminar is being held at a Holiday In Express conference room or some other such public venue then outside of state and local laws you would be fine for carry be it on body (concealed!) or stowage/storage in your vehicle up and to the threshold where the Federal govt. meeting is taking place.
    Step beyond the doors though and that area as is being used and applied for govt. business becomes for that time frame a place/facility of the Federal govt. and all Federal dangerous weapons rules continue to apply therein.

---

U.S. Code

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > 930

930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
    (g) As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    (2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.

Source - US CODE: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lawful purpose?

I know this has been rehashed a hundred times but part "a" allows for exceptions noted in part "d" of which sub-paragraph 3 reads: "(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."

Is not the carrying of a concealed weapon with a concealed weapon license for self defense a "lawful purpose".

I will leave it to you to answer that question for yourself or your attorney.

Links