So I'm in need of some help in choosing my first handgun. In the interest of full disclosure I'll point out the following so you can best assist me.
- I've never owned any type of firearm
- I've never fired any handgun
- I've used .22 rifles and 20 gauge shotguns on a limited basis, mostly when I was a teenager in Boy Scouts. We had a scoutmaster who was a LEO (asst chief of police) so he would frequently take us out to the FOP lodge outside of town and we'd shoot and run the police training courses (unarmed, obviously).
- I have a Kansas Hunters Safety Certification, so I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to firearms, but I'm pretty clueless.
I have two reasons for wanting to buy a handgun (as if one is really needed around here.)
- Learn to shoot
- Protect my family (at home right now, I'll worry about CC later)
I had originally looked into buying a Walther P22, due to its price and the low cost per shot to go to the range frequently and become proficient. I was attracted to the design and the fact that I'm a sucker for German engineering (I drive a Volkswagen, I buy those fancy Wusthof kitchen knives, etc) but after I went to a gun store and poked around a little bit more today, I decided to start handling a few guns. As soon as I picked up the P22 it seemed like a toy. I have slightly smaller hands then average, but after handling it I felt like I was going to break it if I actually shot it.
Worse then that, I looked at .22 LR ammo and decided "this isn't going to stop anyone trying to rape my wife."
I have once chance to make a purchase. My wife is rather "anti-gun" ... not in the sense that they we should be removing them from everyone, but that she doesn't really want one in her house. I have managed to convince her to allow the one, but I'd rather not risk asking again in 9-12 months when I've decided the .22 isn't going to cut it anymore and want something with a little more oomph.
So after giving up on the P22, the dealer put an assortment of other guns in my hands but it wasn't until I picked up the 4" XD 9mm that I fell in love. Right size, right weight, right feel. Obviously, I've not shot it yet, but it just seemed so right. Best yet, they had it on sale for $550 new.
So, am I thinking correctly? Is this a good choice?