does this actually exist??

This is a discussion on does this actually exist?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry guys, we just have to disagree on this one a bit. I will agree that to try and cobble a system together with today's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does this actually exist??

Sorry guys, we just have to disagree on this one a bit. I will agree that to try and cobble a system together with today's technology just to appease the antis would be a huge mistake because the technology simply does not exist. And you can bet that if and when the technology does exist, it won't be the firearms industry that developed it. They make take advantage of it, but the developments that make it possible will have to come from some other necessity.

In 1961, we could barely get a rocket into space let alone a human. By 1969, we landed men on the moon. Just think for a moment about the piece of technology you're sitting in front of while you read this. In the mid 80s, I bought my first computer, a TI 99/4A. It was a marvel of technology with a whopping 16 K of ram and a cassette tape for storage. By the late 80s, I had already gone through an Apple II and moved on to an Apple IIGS. I couldn't imagine anything more powerful. I had installed 4 megabytes of ram and with the addition of the massive 10 megabyte hard drive, I was in hog heaven. Today I sit in front of a PC with 4 GB of ram and 6 hard drives with total storage in the terabyte+ range. A huge change in 25 short years.

Every day, we climb into our vehicles and trust our and our children's lives to seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, and a host of technology that keeps us going down the road safely. Today, we trust the protection of ourselves and families to mechanical firearms. Devices with springs, sears, safety blocks and a whole laundry list of parts that can break plus a lot of them are in polymer frames that we couldn't even have imagined 30 years ago. But it's the best choice we have. As time passes, I think technology can improve on that. I may not live to see it, but it will eventually happen. Just because the technology doesn't exist today doesn't mean it isn't something to look forward to if we live long enough.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Biometrics scanners can be made to relatively compact sizes, so it would be possible. I wouldn't use one though, too many variables that could hinder using the firearm when you need it. Same reason I don't like biometric gun safes.

I remember seeing on the discovery channel once that Colt was trying to make a pistol that you could only shoot if you had on like a certain ring or something, only problem was that the power source took up the whole magwell and was too sensitive to recoil to work after the gun was shot once.

I'd say those would still probably be the two biggest issues as far as designing such a weapon.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

This was a big issue here in texas when getting fingerprinted for our chl's. What happens if you're a contract/day/hard labor worker who has callouses and sores/blisters that form on your hands. What happens in the winter when hands develop dry spots on the finger bed? Are you just gonna leave your "club" at home??? Sorry no way no how will I ever use something as unreliable as this.
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

If it is designed by Microsoft, we will be screwed. have to reboot every time we try to use it.

The batteries will be dead when we need it most.

This I suspect will go the way of the caseless cartridge. and electronic ignition.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I thought up a better way several years ago, then saw what was basically my idea being advertised in a gun rag. The grip would have say 3 to five buttons on it where your fingers go. You key in a combination as part of your "getting the grip." It resets when you release. Not perfect, but not electronic either...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    What happens when some one steals your gun and thumb?
    I don't know. You stumped me with that question.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

well they can't do much with it because it better be empty, and they should hve at least 7 holes in them

Quote Originally Posted by k6gixx View Post
    .............Sorry no way no how will I ever use something as unreliable as this.
    Unreliable today. 5 years from now, it may be as reliable as flipping on a light switch. Technology advances. The key is to not let government force it on us using the current, unreliable technology.

The same thing that happens now when they just steal your gun -- they shoot you.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    anyone see this mythbusters? Finger print scanners busted!

YouTube - MythBusters Fingerprints Busted

be sure to watch it all the way to the end...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links