does this actually exist??

This is a discussion on does this actually exist?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm watching a piece of fine cinematic genius, Shoot 'Em Up, and I see some handguns that have thumbprint scanners that make it so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does this actually exist??

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

does this actually exist??

So I'm watching a piece of fine cinematic genius, Shoot 'Em Up, and I see some handguns that have thumbprint scanners that make it so the gun doesn't shoot unless it recognizes a thumb print. Does these actually exist? Just curious...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm sure it exists, but is cost prohibitive for mass production. The communists in our own government have been trying to force this technology into existence for a few years now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I don't know that it exits yet, but I have seen articles about engineers experimenting with the idea. And S&W already has locks on their revolvers...one step closer.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

This may be an unpopular belief...but I think I may actually like to have this sort of protection on a firearm of mine. I've had one stolen and used in a convenience store shooting before...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I believe Colt had built a prototype of something like this about ten years ago. The problem was the scanner took something like forty seconds to unlock the pistol. Not exactly practical in a defense tool.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    There are better locks now, There is a building I frequent that has secure areas and can be opened with a authorized persons thumb print. It works as fast as a typical key card like what hotels use. I dont see why that couldnt be used in a pistol, cost factors set aside.
    "Just blame Sixto"

see that's what i was envisioning. Something that takes just a second to read your thumb but still secure enough to turn a handgun into a club essentially.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    What happens when your strong hand is injured and you have to switch to weak hand, the gun will not recognize your thumbprint and the gun is useless. Another scenario, you and wife are out for the evening, your armed she's not. Mugging takes place and you are disabled, knocked unconscious, now she has no way to protect herself. Not to mention you would now have to have a handgun in each nightstand, one for her and one for you.

Nope not in favor of any type of locking devise that disables my gun. Although this is what the anti's push as "child friendly safe" guns.

To answer your question, there are probably several companies working on it now and there may even be a few prototypes floating around but I've never seen anything that remotely indicates that a gun with this technology is close to being a production item.

Like pcon, I think technology like this could be a good thing. Imagine not having to worry about a BG getting your own gun away from you and shooting you with it or not having to worry about your children using one of your guns. But for it to be a viable system it would have to be fast and absolutely reliable under a variety of conditions (sweaty palms, raining, snowing, etc.) and I don't think we're anywhere close to that level of reliability. I also think that for it to work, you may be looking at a change in the firing mechanism of a handgun to something like what was used in the Remington EtronX rifle. I think the bio identification is a good goal, I just think we're a looooong way from seeing it as a reality.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Lead Moderator
    What happens when some one steals your gun and thumb?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Please understand that I don't think that this is a good idea, only that it is doable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    This may be an unpopular belief...but I think I may actually like to have this sort of protection on a firearm of mine. I've had one stolen and used in a convenience store shooting before...
    next thing u know, u need to use it, and it doesn't shoot because apparently ur wearing a glove or it just 'didnt' work

no way

It might catch on with home owners but I do not think any government agency would buy anything that their people could not use while wearing gloves.

So what you need to do is make something that unlocks based on the coding of the RFID chip that will be implanted in everyones arms......
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    What happens when some one steals your gun and thumb?
    No kidding there. If things got bad enough that would eventually happen. I'm guessing the BG would keep the thumb in the freezer between convenience store hold-ups?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Smart Gun

Article from 2005 on Smart Guns. "Researchers" purport to have built a proof of concept model. Their video depicts a 16 sensor grip to collect biometric data such as grip, position, etc...to associate with the owner. At the end they do caveat that nothing replaces education. The article predicted 3 years before availability. 2008 has passed, they didn't name any firms by name.

Massad Ayoob wrote an article in 2001 about the Smart Gun where Colt had formed a sub called iColt (now that's an iPOD). They never fielded a working model.

Its a bad idea and is no panacea. In systems where grave bodily harm is in play an availability of at least 99.9999% is required by some systems. Adding widgets of the pedestrian variety will get you killed. Class 6 and up widgets will break the bank. The KISS principle applies to SD handguns. IMHO
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links