Looking for a 22 handgun

Looking for a 22 handgun

This is a discussion on Looking for a 22 handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a 22 caliber handgun and am looking for some recommendations. I have a Glock 22 and have looked into the conversion ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 22 handgun

Looking for a 22 handgun

I am looking for a 22 caliber handgun and am looking for some recommendations. I have a Glock 22 and have looked into the conversion kits that would enable it to fire 22 caliber. Is this a good way to go? Alternatively, what is good reliable model in 22 caliber.

Any thougths or comments are appreciated

Thanks

I'm not sure of conversion kits for the Glock 22, but if available, that's not a bad option. It allows you to practice with the same gun, which it good.

As far as a reliable 22, the Buckmark is well regarded. However, I opted to go with the Sig Sauer Mosquito, because I wanted one that is similar to my P229 and P239 (in operation) so it would be helpful to teach my wife with.

Good luck.
    Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Browning Buckmark is an excellent 22 pistol, I also have owned a smith and wesson 22a which never gave me problems.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    Many good .22 options out there. For the most part a conversion kit will cost nearly as much if not more than a good .22 pistol. I have a Ruger Mark ll BBL that I love to shoot. Granted Ruger's can be a PITA to clean, but it's a good shooter.

What are you looking for in a .22 handgun? Match shooting? Fun with plinking? What's your price range? Do you want to use cheap bulk ammo or performance ammo?

FWIW, I wanted something cheap to plink with and teach my wife how to shoot. So, I wanted something affordable, reliable with bulk ammo, and easy to take down and clean. I chose the Beretta Neos and am happy I did.

Here is a range report I did on the Neos. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ally-ugly.html

P.S. The 'ugly' had nothing to do with the Neos.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'd go for the conversion kit if you're looking for cheaper practice. I'm getting the conversion for my 229 so I can plink with it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I think Bud's has the Sig 220(?) .22s on sale right now. You Sig guys may want to check that out before considering investing in the conversion kit. For a .22 pistol, I just bought a SS Buck Mark Camper. Still haven't shot it though but I'm excited to get it out to the range.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Buds? The only 22 sig I know of is the mosquito?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Walther P22

The walther P22 is great though i have had some trouble with the slide catching the ejecting brass if anyone has an idea why this is happening plz tell P.S the weapon has been cleaned

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The Sig Mosquito sucks. My P22 is quite reliable and lots of fun to shoot. That said I would look at the Ruger, Buckmark, Walther and the S&W .22 revolvers too. Ruger has a new .22 Charger that looks nice too.

Ruger 22 Chargerô*Rimfire Autoloading*Pistol (CHR22-FC) Overview

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    For what it's worth, I have a 22a that I absolutely love. Simple, accurite and affordable. However if I had a Glock that I could change from a ## to a 22 I think I would do that simply for the convenience, security and the training that is afforded by using the same arm.

On the other hand, a nice little 22A adds yet another pony to the stable.

Best!

ps, the 22A eats recoil buffers. S&W will send you some free or you can buy them from Brownells. If you shoot CCI 0030, you will need to replace the buffer about every 1000 rounds. Some more, some less. Otherwise a nice little investment.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Buds? The only 22 sig I know of is the mosquito?
    I think it was a Sig 220 with the .22 kit already installed. Something's going on with Bud's site right now and I can't find it. There's a notice up that they are having problems.

sig mosquito... identical to 226 as well. just 90% of the size

VIP Member

22A????

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    For what it's worth, I have a 22a that I absolutely love. Simple, accurite and affordable. However if I had a Glock that I could change from a ## to a 22 I think I would do that simply for the convenience, security and the training that is afforded by using the same arm.

On the other hand, a nice little 22A adds yet another pony to the stable.

Best!

ps, the 22A eats recoil buffers. S&W will send you some free or you can buy them from Brownells. If you shoot CCI 0030, you will need to replace the buffer about every 1000 rounds. Some more, some less. Otherwise a nice little investment.
    Are you talking about the initial run of Walther p22s?

Mine, which came with the "a" magazines is a nice little gun except that I had to buy "b" magazines.

I'm not sure what you meant by "recoil buffer." If you meant the spring, mine has lasted for several thousand rounds and I use mostly mini-mags, a few hundred stingers too, and some plain old Remington LR.

I unfortunately bought from one of the earliest production runs, but I don't doubt that the newer ones are going to hum.

It's really hard to beat the Ruger 22s or the Browning Buck Marks but there are a lot of good ones out there. I have a S&W Model 41 and if you can survive the sticker shock, I'm not sure there's a better production one out there but Rugers & Brownings will do darn close to the same job for a whole lot less. I currently have the Model 41, a P22, a Taurus Model 94 and a Ruger Single Six. I actually have the most fun with the P22 but it is a bit picky about ammo and being limp-wristed.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links