Looking to buy my first .45

This is a discussion on Looking to buy my first .45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a variety of 9mm / .40 cal handguns in the safe (when not being carried of course), but am looking to invest in ...

Thread: Looking to buy my first .45

Looking to buy my first .45

I have a variety of 9mm / .40 cal handguns in the safe (when not being carried of course), but am looking to invest in my first .45. I am not expecting to CCW with it as I tend to believe with my size, typical clothing etc ... that a smaller weapon is better for concealment and adequate to get the job done. I would like to pick up a .45 mostly for the purposes of shooting it for fun, but am considering come competition (always good to be humbled :-) ). I'm not looking for some ubber $$ gun for competing, just for something that could get me started and see where it takes me (3 gun looks really fun!).

So I'd really appreciate any input on a good starter gun. I'd prefer to keep the cost South of $1,000, but would prefer to buy something decent than be disappointed with something subpar.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

USP is a great gun, then of course you have the whole world of 1911 style weapons. what are you looking for? I have a USP and I love it. altough she doesn't like novices shooting it, as novice get alot of stove pipes

Honestly .. I don't know just yet. :-) I've done some reading on the subject, and can honestly say that I don't know if the whole 1911 following is more due to the historic nature or due to functionality etc ... I want an accurate, reliable gun .45 caliber that will not hinder me from entering into my first IPSC matches (I hope). I'm not overly big and burly and do have some concerns that some huge beast will be a PITA to control. This may just be my ignorance as most of my experience is 9mm and a .40 XMD.

I don't mean to offend any die-hard 1911 fans, I'm hoping to be educated on why one would choose a 911 style over some other full size .45 caliber pistol.

The USP is a nice looking weapon for sure. I own a couple of Sig's and have wondered if something like a p250 would be a good option as I sorta like that it can also be converted to shoot .40 etc ... Some guys at the range we're hyping up Kimber as a great match pistol and I see that some can be had in my price range that are intended for competition shooting .. but I'd love to have some more data points before shelling out the $$. I'll chat with the guys at some local gun stores, but am just hoping for some other opinions that are perhaps less biased by what's in stock.

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Are you looking at only steel frame .45s, or are you considering polymer as well?

I am sort of partial to Springfield Armory when it comes to 1911s. You can get one of their Loaded models for under 800 dollars if you look around. I have been looking for their Black Stainless model for quite some time now.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Same thing but in standard brushed stainless. This one is mine and she shoots like a dream. Bought in 2001 for about $680.00 OTD.

VIP Member
    Springfield makes a great 1911 and my S&W 1911s have been every bit as good. Both brands under 1K!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If I was going to have only one .45 ACP it would be a 5" 1911.

The heavier gun is easier to control in rapid fire and makes felt recoil less in my expirience. Also, it sounds like you already have a good sample of "drastic plastic", so it's time get get some metal.

As I type this I have a 5" 1911 on my hip, with two spare magazines on the off side. I used to shoot a Glock 19 in IDPA. I have found that the 1911 balances better for me and allows me to be more accurate when doing three head shots on three targets with the clock ticking. The "pointability" of the 1911 far surpasses a Glock for me, or any other non Browning designed "bottomfeeder".

BTW: my other two .45 ACP's are revolvers. One is a S & W the other a Colt.

Biker

well if you are going to shoot matches look for a 1911 style gun. there are many good brands on the market. you can get a new and/or used 1911 and then dress it up with what you want for the matches. back in the 80's i was building 1911 guns for matches for several of my friends. that was before you could buy a factory made "race gun". now if you want a 45 acp for carry i would look at the glock 36. nice size gun for carry. and it might also work for matches, with some changes.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks for all the input guys. It sorta sounds like you can't go wrong with a 1911 from everything that's been said. You can get lighter and smaller guns in the same caliber of course, but I get the 1911 is a good place to start .. and who knows what I can add to the collection over time. :-)

I will definitely take a look at the S&W & Springfields in my research.

I've pretty much decided on a Sig P220. Reliable, rock solid, always getting an A rating by the people who have them. (Plus I want to keep to the same family of guns for now, since my CC is a P239.)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

A 1911 style has some advantages. If you can think of an aftermarket addition or accessory, it's probably available for a 1911. They feel good in your hand -- just a natural "fit". With minimal work, they can have an excellent trigger.

That said, if I were looking for a new 45 range/target gun today, I'd probably be looking at some variant of the Sig 220, more than likely a P220 Match. If I didn't want to spend that much money, I'd be looking at a SA XD Tactical. I've owned two XDs and have personal shooting experience with 3 others and they are outstanding firearms for the money. If I were going to go for a 1911, it would be a Springfield Armory of some type. While you'd never get one for the price you're wanting to spend, I held a TRP Model a while back and couldn't stop drooling.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    If you are thinking about IDPA, rather than IPSC, there are size and weight limits to consider; the advantage to IDPA (like Production in IPSC) is that most of the bells and whistles are prohibited, so you won't end up spending a mint on the competition gun.

If you are of smaller stature, you probably want a heavier gun to help with the recoil.

If you've had and liked SIGs, here are my suggestions: a stock SIG P220 (either traditional DA/SA or in SAO) if you don't want a 1911, or a SIG 5" Stainless GSR if you do want a 1911. For what it is worth, my g/f, who is 5'6" with small hands, shoots her GSR in IDPA just fine. It's 41oz, so it's a heavy gun, but that's not a problem for a range/match gun. I shoot my P220 in IDPA, and it is my favorite gun, by far.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

For under a grand I would go with a USP-45. I'm in the same situation looking for a .45. I think Im going to spend the extra cash and get a Kimber Pro Carry II. Good luck. Try going to a shop and handling each gun your interested in.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have a Kimber Stainless TLE II and love it. Kimber makes quality weapons, you can stay south of $1000 but not by much.

S&W or Springfield Armory 1911 for sure...if I had the money that's what I would get. I want one BAD.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Links