Real Ivory grips for 1911 and others...

11K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I agree, the Narwhal is spectacular!

#4 ·
My 1911s all have ivories.
I have made all of mine myself.
David Boone from Boone Trading Company is a nice guy.
I have known him for I guess 20 years.

Also you absolutely should check out NUTMEG SPORTS. http://www.nutmegsports.com/

Nutmeg Sports used to make all of the ivory grips for the Colt Custom Shop.
He used to sell on Ebay under the name Loobey but, Ebay does not allow the sale of ivory grips anymore...even though any existing elephant ivory already in the U.S. is still legal to sell and buy interstate.
No ivory can be imported or exported though.

#15 ·
Just an FYI on Elephant Ivory.

There is NO new ivory being imported into or exported FROM the United States. We have been out of the world marketplace for Elephant Ivory for many years now.

Any and all Ivory that is already IN the United States can be bought, sold, traded, Interstate and has ZERO impact on present world elephant populations.

Even IF the African Elephant population should dramatically INCREASE it is very doubtful that any new ivory will ever again be imported into the U.S.

There is just no receptive climate for Ivory importation into the U.S. any longer.

Whenever domestic supplies of Ivory are used up that is it AKA no more Ivory Gun Grips.

Some folks like David Warther, David Boone, Nutmeg Sports have some legal pre-ban supplies of Ivory remaining or they buy older preexisting domestic tusks from private estates and sportsmans clubs, etc.

So...if any member wants to invest in a nice set of Ivories you should be aware of the fact that you are NOT killing any elephants by doing so.

#16 ·
another alternative is stag or bone grips. I have a set of stag grips on my Les Baer that have aged well & look almost as good as ivory.

Reactions: QKShooter
#17 ·
Ivory has a very unique property in that the grips can be smooth (AKA not textured or checkered) but, gripping traction increases when the hands are sweaty or conditions are wet.

All other grip materials get more slippery when sweaty or wet but, not Ivory.

That is why all of the best quality vintage/antique surgeons equipment ~ scalpels, bone saws, probes, etc, sported handles crafted from Elephant Ivory.

Just an odd random FYI regarding one interesting thing about Ivory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.