Fear mongering media

This is a discussion on Fear mongering media within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in the process of emailing a friend of mine with the news in the background, when I caught the words; ...12 ga shotgun ...

Thread: Fear mongering media

Angry Fear mongering media

I was in the process of emailing a friend of mine with the news in the background, when I caught the words;

...12 ga shotgun that was black with a pistol style grip at the back.

Followed by reports of three other shootings that either just happened or are in court, including;

...the teenage son of a police officer that was seen on this surveillance tape robbing a Castle Rock convenience store with an assault rifle

Yes it was a black scary gun, no it was not an AR or AK. Looked like a MP or some sort of bull pup style rifle...if it was a rifle not a toy.

I have yet to find anything online yet, I am a little miffed at the fear mongering of the evil guns on the streets to spend much time on the site.

Fox 31 in Denver
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

The Evile Black Guns will kill us all! They must be stopped!!!!

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Not surprising, unfortunately....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    'Tis the season........... MSM will jump on anything that will play into the sheeple's collective fear, thereby opening a W I D E door for the new "common sense" legislation.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Curious...what would you say instead? Not report at all...or just that a gun was used?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Curious...what would you say instead? Not report at all...or just that a gun was used?

Rick
    A shot gun was used. It could have been pink and covered in Tele-Tubbies stickers and the end result would have been the same. A violent criminal used a gun to victimize someone. The reporter put special emphasis on the fact it was black, and had a pistol style grip.

The same with the assault rifle. Just report that a gun , firearm, or a rifle was used during the commission of the crime. In the case of the teenager, if he was under aged to own it, state that the kid was in illegal possession of it.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I think it makes very little difference to the average reader when the gun was reported black, with tele-tubbies to boot...the only thing they read is that a gun was used.

As for your last line...if reported an illegal possession...would the outcome be different? I think the reader would ask themselves what can be done to keep illegal possession from happening...which actually could work against us.

Rick

I think it makes very little difference to the average reader when the gun was reported black, with tele-tubbies to boot...the only thing they read is that a gun was used.

As for your last line...if reported an illegal possession...would the outcome be different? I think the reader would ask themselves what can be done to keep illegal possession from happening...which actually could work against us.

Rick
    Well, it could also show people that such things are already quite illegal, and that we don't "need" more gun control, only more enforcement of the laws that are already on the book.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    A shot gun was used. It could have been pink and covered in Tele-Tubbies stickers and the end result would have been the same. A violent criminal used a gun to victimize someone. The reporter put special emphasis on the fact it was black, and had a pistol style grip.

The same with the assault rifle. Just report that a gun , firearm, or a rifle was used during the commission of the crime. In the case of the teenager, if he was under aged to own it, state that the kid was in illegal possession of it.
    Now that would be scary!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Well, it could also show people that such things are already quite illegal, and that we don't "need" more gun control, only more enforcement of the laws that are already on the book.
    Could...but do you honestly believe the average person out there would think enforcement or more gun control??? I am betting they could careless if it was illegal..

Rick

Could...but do you honestly believe the average person out there would think enforcement or more gun control??? I am betting they could careless if it was illegal..

Rick
    That would be the opening to pound into their heads that another law would not and will not change anything. This is the time to "enforce" instead of "create".

If they predictably respond with "Well that law is not working." you have an even larger opening to fry their brain. If they are forced to analyze their own logic, instead of trying to grasp ours, we might make some headway.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

That would be the opening to pound into their heads that another law would not and will not change anything. This is the time to "enforce" instead of "create".

If they predictably respond with "Well that law is not working." you have an even larger opening to fry their brain. If they are forced to analyze their own logic, instead of trying to grasp ours, we might make some headway.
    Data data data...people like numbers, not words. What laws are not being enforced, by whom, how to fix???...all questions and many more that people might ask. How does one keep illegal guns out of the hands of idiots, criminals etc...in our efforts to protect 2A, more laws are passed to limit us, not the BGs. We cut off our nose inspite of our face...

Ahhhh..asking them to analyze their "own logic"....there in lies the problem/issue.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    pink and covered in Tele-Tubbies stickers.
    Now there is a great idea! How could congress possibly ban something so cute? Little girls everywhere would riot.

Links