Do you s'pose the rumors are true

This is a discussion on Do you s'pose the rumors are true within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have heard rumblings of this sort of thing for a long time. Never knew whether to give it any weight or not. Anyway, this was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you s'pose the rumors are true

Do you s'pose the rumors are true

Have heard rumblings of this sort of thing for a long time. Never knew whether to give it any weight or not. Anyway, this was posted by a subscriber to Randy Cain's email forum:

U.S. Brings Back the .45

January 27, 2006: After two decades of use, the U.S. Department of Defense is getting rid of its Beretta M9 9mm pistol, and going back to the 11.4mm(.45 caliber) weapon. There have been constant complaints about the lesser (compared to the .45) hitting power of the 9mm. And in the last few years,SOCOM (Special Operations Command) and the marines have officially adopted.45 caliber pistols as "official alternatives" to the M9 Beretta. But now SOCOM has been given the task of finding a design that will be suitable as the JCP (Joint Combat Pistol). Various designs are being evaluated, but all must be .45 caliber and have a eight round magazine (at least), and high capacity mags holding up to 15. The new .45 will also have a rail up top forattachments, and be able to take a silencer. Length must be no more than 9.65 inches, and width no more than 1.53 inches.

The M1911 .45 caliber pistol that the 9mm Beretta replaced in 1985, was, as its nomenclature implied, an old design. There are several modern designs out there for .45 caliber pistols that are lighter, carry more ammo and are easier to maintain than the pre-World War I M1911 (which is actually about a century old, as a design). The Department of Defense plans to buy 645,000 JCPs.

SOCOM will, with input from other branches, handle the evaluation and final selection.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

2. Remove Ads

That's the word on the street anyway. It's actually not new news and has been talked about pretty much on the 1911 forum, but has for some reason surfaced again due to postings that think it's new headlines.

So that tells me that the rumors are possibly coming true with this circulating around again with fresh postings. This has also come up again on the 1911 forum too.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I keep seeing it to and would bet the Hk gets a nod if the 45 does come back

This is what is over on Free Republic with over 364 replies so far. Here's a link:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1567466/posts

U.S. Brings Back the .45
    Strategy Page ^ | January 27, 2006

Posted on 01/29/2006 2:14:04 PM EST by John Jorsett

After two decades of use, the U.S. Department of Defense is getting rid of its Beretta M9 9mm pistol, and going back to the 11.4mm (.45 caliber) weapon. There have been constant complaints about the lesser (compared to the .45) hitting power of the 9mm. And in the last few years, SOCOM (Special Operations Command) and the marines have officially adopted .45 caliber pistols as “official alternatives” to the M9 Beretta. But now SOCOM has been given the task of finding a design that will be suitable as the JCP (Joint Combat Pistol). Various designs are being evaluated, but all must be .45 caliber and have a eight round magazine (at least), and high capacity mags holding up to 15. The new .45 will also have a rail up top for attachments, and be able to take a silencer. Length must be no more than 9.65 inches, and width no more than 1.53 inches.

The M1911 .45 caliber pistol that the 9mm Beretta replaced in 1985, was, as its nomenclature implied, an old design. There are several modern designs out there for .45 caliber pistols that are lighter, carry more ammo and are easier to maintain than the pre-World War I M1911 (which is actually about a century old, as a design). The Department of Defense plans to buy 645,000 JCPs.

SOCOM will, with input from other branches, handle the evaluation and final selection. This will take place this year, and if the military moves with unaccustomed alacrity, troops could start getting their JCPs next year. But don’t hold your breath.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Didn't they just order like 70,000 more M9s though?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Didn't they just order like 70,000 more M9s though?
    I don't think so, Euc. IIRC, I recently heard that Sig got a huge order (probably for federal LEOs) and that H&K got a sip from the federal teat...and I'll bet they'd like the order for the new 45 too! The M9's could be given to the various state national guards or the LE agencies that use them even if your recollection turns out to be correct.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - oldish rumor but certainly one which seems to gathering strength and momentum.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I want it to be true because it would be good for soliders stuck using FMJ ammunition and it would drive down the cost of .45 ACP ammunition considerably, but I still won't believe it until I see it.

Im surprised there not looking at the 40 S&W you still get the small grip of the 9mm which was supposed to be why they swapped in the first place

I thought it was because everyone else in NATO used 9x19.

If they meant to get a slimmer, smaller grip they screwed up. The M9 is a pig of a gun for its caliber. Of course that's not a bad thing per se, but it is a big gun.

the nato thing is part of it somewhat but look as the 7.62X51 we got nato to use it then switched to 223... repamer ya can carry a lot more ammo on 9mm and 223 to spray and pray with ..

Senior Moderator
    ...but I still won't believe it until I see it.
    Me too, Euc.

...The M9 is a pig of a gun for its caliber. Of course that's not a bad thing per se, but it is a big gun....
    Gee Euc, you just couldn't leave it alone; had to come out with the ole pig remark

I've got a Vertec and I don't find it big per se, well no more big than a 1911, H&K USP, etc. 'Course I guess big is in the hands of the beholder, but pig of a gun????

Tangle i got big hands and like a big gun but im sorry the 92/M9 is a pig of a gun

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Tangle i got big hands and like a big gun but im sorry the 92/M9 is a pig of a gun
    I'm still chuckling at "pig of a gun" - never heard that before.

Apparently the Vertec is a totally different animal (pardon the pig, er pun), because it doesn't have a big grip. I guess I didn't realize there was such a difference between the Vertec and the 92/M9. Ha, Ha, pig of a gun - you guys.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links