Shooting in your backyard

This is a discussion on Shooting in your backyard within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not entirely sure of the best forum to put this but here goes. I've been wondering this for awhile and really have no idea ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in your backyard

I'm not entirely sure of the best forum to put this but here goes. I've been wondering this for awhile and really have no idea where to look to find what I'm looking for. So if someone knows the answer or knows where I can find the answer that would be great.

What are the laws regarding discharging a firearm on your property? I live in the suburbs and have been shooting air rifles in my back yard for years, but could never figure out if shooting my .22 rifle was legal or not. My backyard is just shy of 40 yards and there are houses on both sides and behind me but I have a very safe backdrop for shooting and would feel 100% safe standing behind my mound while someone shot into it. I wouldn't shoot very often for fear of annoying the neighbors but sometimes I just wanna shoot without driving 15 minutes and packing up all my gear.

Thanks for the help!
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Most states have a law saying you must be at least X distance from a building to discharge a firearm. Most are around 150-200. Depends on your state. Also depends on where you're located...inside city limits is a no go. Your best bet is to call up the local Sheriff and ask them. Mine just said "It's fine, and if you can, give me a call before you shoot so if anyone reports gunfire on your property, I'll know it's harmless".
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Most states have a law saying you must be at least X distance from a building to discharge a firearm. Most are around 150-200. Depends on your state. Also depends on where you're located...inside city limits is a no go. Your best bet is to call up the local Sheriff and ask them.
    That makes sense. I remember for hunting you have to be X distance from buildings as well and none of the houses near me would qualify.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Most states have a law saying you must be at least X distance from a building to discharge a firearm. Most are around 150-200. Depends on your state. Also depends on where you're located...inside city limits is a no go. Your best bet is to call up the local Sheriff and ask them.
    +1

inside the boro is not OK., township is usually OK., provided that you are X distance from...........blah blah blah.

Yeah... ask the sheriff.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    +1

inside the boro is not OK., township is usually OK., provided that you are X distance from...........blah blah blah.

Yeah... ask the sheriff.
    I'm not in City limits (Allentown) and I do live in a township...
    I guess Sheriff sounds like the best option. It's more a curiosity thing than a burning desire to do it.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    It starts as a curiosity, but once you realise the neighbors aren't complaining and you set up a nice little range where you can draw from the holster, shoot while moving, use reactive targets, and maybe even moving targets, it becomes an addiction
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The answer will vary based on jurisdiction, state, etc. I live on 1 Acre in a town in a urban/suburban area in Texas. Any discharge of a firearm within the city limits (including town, village, etc. - incorporated v. unincorporated) = Class A misdemeanor. Just checked with Deputy friend when my kids watched 2 coyotes kill a cat on the other side of the creek behind our house.

You might get away with using 22 cal. CBS (sub sonic) They don't have powder in them, they just utilize the primer, and are no louder than a 22 cal. pellet gun.

Probably falls under the no discharge rules but they are quiet.
    Last edited by JD; January 29th, 2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Removed bold font
    "Hollow Points,-For Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Administrator

Looks Like You're Out Of Luck

PAWLOWSKI PROPOSES CRIME FIGHTING MEASURES

Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski is proposing two measures aimed at reducing the incidence of gunplay in the city.

The mayor said today he will ask City Council to amend an ordinance providing a possible prison term for any person who causes the discharge of a firearm anywhere within the city. The mayor also announced his intention to employ gun detection technology to quicken police response to gunshot incidents.

Under the proposed gun discharge measure, a person would be guilty of disorderly conduct for discharging a firearm. Conviction before a district justice could result in a prison term of up to 90 days.

“We need to send a message that any kind of gunplay on the streets of Allentown is totally unacceptable. Violators will learn that there is a stiff price to pay for such lawlessness,” the mayor said.

The measure provides for a fine of up to $1,000 for each offense plus restitution for damages to person or properties suffered by a victim or the prison term. Each discharge constitutes a separate and distinct offense. Sentences shall be imposed for each offense and may not run concurrently but must run consecutively to each other

“We need the legal mechanism to get these people off the streets,” said Pawlowski. “We

don’t need people in Allentown who endanger others by randomly firing a weapon. We feel they should forfeit their freedom,” the mayor added.

There are exceptions to the ordinance. Children’s toys and starter pistols, all when used in the proper manner, are exempt. Discharges of firearms by law enforcement officers or military personnel acting in the line of duty or doing training exercises and ceremonies are not considered a violation. Hunting and activities regulated by the Game and Wild Life Code of Pennsylvania and discharges at legally permitted firing ranges are also permissible. Discharge is also permitted in defense of human life or the residence or place of business of the person discharging the firearm. The Chief of Police may also grant special permits for discharges at military funerals or similar ceremonies or other special events.

“Reports of gun discharges come at a substantial cost of police time and resources,” said Pawlowski. “Our investigation of these reports rarely produces an intended victim. We hope that the threat of jail time will reduce the number of gun shot incidents in the city, the mayor added.

A similar measure was adopted by Lancaster City Council this summer. The Lancaster measure includes a mandatory 90 day prison term and a mandatory $500 fine upon conviction.

The gun detection technology would be used in conjunction with Allentown’s new camera system and is able to triangulate the location of a gunshot within seconds. The information can be used to dispatch police to the scene even before reports of gunshots are phoned into the communications center. Cities across the United States are employing the technology. It is credited with leading to a dozen arrests and the seizure of a dozen guns in Minneapolis.

Allentown Police Department officials have seen the technology at work in Washington, D.C. “We think it will be an effective tool for the department,” said Chief Roger MacLean. “It resulted in an arrest in a homicide shortly after it was initially deployed.”

“We have worked diligently to restructure the city’s finances over the last two years. Now that our fiscal house is in order, we will employ a full court press on increasing public safety,” said Pawlowski. “We hope the threat of prison terms and faster police response times will further discourage people from gun violence.”

You can always throw a can on your .22. With some subsonic ammo it will have less noise than your air rifle.

Keep in mind

That if Murphy rears his ugly head the 15 minute drive will seem like a non issue compared to the potential situation you would be facing. Plus in the current environment you could easily be painted as crazed whack job who was putting the the public in harms way and an example of why gun owners be required to meet undue burdens.

Searn

Thank God I don't live in the city limits. They do have those special cameras set up now too. They have flashing blue lights on top that quickly turn in the direction of the gunshot. O well, I guess I'm stuck using my .22 air rifle till I get a chance to call the sheriff.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

I can't even legally touch off a slingshot in my back yard. Shooting an air rifle in my back yard would be nice.

The first thing I would do if I found out it is legal is check with my neighbors. They would less apt to call the police if they know what is going on.

I feel your pain....

....I am stuck in a shoebox Apt. for about 1 more year.

Then I am going home!

Where I can have any number of friends and me firing anything we got, all day long, and noone so much as looks at ya sideways; much less care.

Yes, I freakin love my home!
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links