My try at snazzy photography

This is a discussion on My try at snazzy photography within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; just trying to make them look pretty, any pointers? and heres one of my boy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My try at snazzy photography

just trying to make them look pretty, any pointers?

and heres one of my boy

U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I'm definitely not a professional photographer, but I'd suggest:

1. A different color backdrop instead of black....maybe something like bright red

2. Maybe back up a little bit....the close-ups are too close.

Like I said, I'm no expert.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    The angles aren't too bad, but the pictures are DARK! I would use more of a contrasting background color, and in the second to last one, drape it over something so we don't see your room in the background.

One thing I learned is it helps to make a "light box". Make a cube out of some dowells, and cover all but one side with some fairly thin white cloth. Put lights on the outside of it, and put your background on the bottom. The cloth filters and softens the light so the pictures aren't so harsh like with direct light or a flash.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You definitely need more light. I agree with others on using a contrasting background (although lighting may help that problem). Try to make it clear which object in the photo is supposed to be the center of attention. When you look in gun magazines (although there are other objects in the photos) you can always tell what they are trying to show you. Also try not to cut off the ends of the gun (if possible). I hope this helps, and that is is very nice gun!

thanks guys im taking some new ones now to see how they turn out, will post up shortley
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

any better?

wanted to emphasize the rounds on these

U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Background: consider visiting the fabric shop for some red velvet or some other cloth; forgive me, but what appears to be a dead towel doesn't add to the photos. You might try a grey satin, too - it will act as a good foil for your black and the shiny cartridges.

Exposure: see if your camera will let you overrride it's auto exposure. Since you have a lighter background, the system tries for an average grey, and you lose the dark parts of your weapon. If you had it on a darker color or grey it might look better.

Color Balance: try putting a white card (like a 3x5 or a business card) in a corner of the frame. The system finds the lightest object on screen and figures that should be pure white. Without any whites in the photo, the system pushes colors around somewhat unpredictably. You can crop the card out later (see GIMP if you need excellent photo editing software for free).

All that said, looks like you're having fun and you're well on the way to some good photos. Keep at it!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

1943 - 2009
    Your images are way too big. You need to re-size them before posting. A size of about 600 x 400 pixels is good.

The members using a dial-up connection will thank you!

Re-sizing images in Photobucket is easy. You can use pre-set sizes or specify your own custom size.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I'd like to see one from the business end, round in the chamber of course... Sorry, it would be dangerous to take a picture of a loaded pistol laying on a table.

You're getting better
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

thanks guys im trying, the weather isnt permitting me to get many more materials to make them look better, they say itll still be abit before we get power (staying with family now) at my house
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Background: consider visiting the fabric shop for some red velvet or some other cloth; forgive me, but what appears to be a dead towel doesn't add to the photos. You might try a grey satin, too - it will act as a good foil for your black and the shiny cartridges.

Exposure: see if your camera will let you overrride it's auto exposure. Since you have a lighter background, the system tries for an average grey, and you lose the dark parts of your weapon. If you had it on a darker color or grey it might look better.

Color Balance: try putting a white card (like a 3x5 or a business card) in a corner of the frame. The system finds the lightest object on screen and figures that should be pure white. Without any whites in the photo, the system pushes colors around somewhat unpredictably. You can crop the card out later (see GIMP if you need excellent photo editing software for free).

All that said, looks like you're having fun and you're well on the way to some good photos. Keep at it!
    Excellent suggestions, as for lighting I would use two desk lamps positioned on either side to provide indirect lighting without glare.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

hey your one your way. The way to good pics is like target practice . keep it up it will get better.here is one I've been playing with.
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

Sorry had to do it. Needs more Glock polymer goodness.

change the background and bounce flash if you can

Since it looks like you're using existing lighting, you need to tripod the camera and possibly use a remote shutter release. You have camera shake as you're triggering the shutter. Sometimes even the mechanics within the camera can induce this unless the camera is very securely supported. This comes from a longish exposure time.

If you have one or more flashes that you can bounce into larger white cards or reflectors, that will give you soft lighting and a quicker shutter speed. Flashes are balanced for close to daylight color temperature while incandescent and tungsten lights will be far more yellowish. If you use the latter, you should change the color temp setting on your camera, assuming it's digital.

When on a tripod, you can also go to manual settings for more depth of field. The closer you get to your subject (macro shots), the less effect a small aperture will have on your image. Putting the camera on a tripod gives you the means to adjust the placement of your subject items so your composition is strongest. What you see on the "table" is not necessarily going to look great through the lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links